Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Keeping the bum warm

Has anyone experimented with stringing a cheap parachute silk or nylon hammock below your sleeping hammock as a vapor barrier/gear storage?

I have a Clark North American that ROCKS, especially in the cold. The storage pockets that are built in are awesome, but anything can be improved on. I tried this in November in the backyard, but have never given it a true test - I only hit 21 degrees one night. I don't know how it would work with a bottom entry hammock like the hennessy, but it was incredibly cheap and easy to string up a silk hammock that I already owned, throw a piece of 1/8 closed cell foam with glued on reflective material which is my normal Hammock sleep pad (courtesy of American Science and Surplus - I love that place) in the BOTTOM gear/vapor barrier hammock, and I was toasty for 3 straight nights with a 0 degree bag.

The only extra weight or gear was the 10 oz or so of the silk double hammock that I used as the bottom vapor barrier/gear storage. I suppose if I sewed the one side of the second hammock to my Clark NA, that it would reduce any chance of cold air infiltrating my vapor barrier and make the setup considerably easier. But it would mess a little with the gear pockets built in to my Clark, and make them accessible from one side only.

I hear a lot of talk about underquilts - is this just a poor man's version?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Nothing in the Clark's pockets for insulation? The only under-insulation going was the 1/8" CCF on reflective material inside the shell hammock?

You and neo, anti-freeze in your veins, or something! You can get by with a whole lot less bulk/weight than most of us.

oh yeah, and putting that pad between the hammock body and an outer body is a good idea. Not really a unique one, others have suggested that here, but that doesn't detract from the fact you had a problem, thought of a solution, and it worked. That's the more important point IMHO.

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images

Antifreeze

I'm a Finn from the Northernmost regions of Wisconsin - what can you expect? We used to winter camp in -16 below in tents - haven't tried it in a hammock yet. I'm not saying it was much fun, but cold is usually not an issue. It's actually warmer for me in the hammock than standing on a frozen lake or in a foot of snow.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post
    I'm a Finn from the Northernmost regions of Wisconsin - what can you expect? We used to winter camp in -16 below in tents - haven't tried it in a hammock yet. I'm not saying it was much fun, but cold is usually not an issue. It's actually warmer for me in the hammock than standing on a frozen lake or in a foot of snow.
    and I'm a Scotsman from Northern Minnesota (OK, my people got lost on the way to Georgia. Could have happened to anyone.) But the 14 years I spent south of the Mason-Dixon line may have thinned my blood, in addition to giving me a fondness for mint juleps

Grizz

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    You'd think the kilts would leave you more prepared for cold drafts. And who doesn't like mint juleps anyway? There is something to be said for living in this crud all year long - my wife says I can melt the snow before it hits my head - as she freezes in her woolens.

How could you ever leave the woods of Northern Minnesota? Are you back in god's country? I have my Clark all warmed up for the fishing opener in the BWCA in May. I have to get a few licks in before then, and I'm looking forward to trying out the DD that I got from Redbeard today in Maui in March. That should be quite the experience.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s62w23098 View Post
    You'd think the kilts would leave you more prepared for cold drafts. And who doesn't like mint juleps anyway? There is something to be said for living in this crud all year long - my wife says I can melt the snow before it hits my head - as she freezes in her woolens.
    Was it movie "Fargo" with the great line, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out".

How could you ever leave the woods of Northern Minnesota? Are you back in god's country? I have my Clark all warmed up for the fishing opener in the BWCA in May.
    Oh the usual reasons. Career, matrimony.

The main (only) advantage to Illinois with respect to hammocking is that we get some pretty stiff winds that are usefulfor testing wind-breaking gear.

I fondly remember many trips into the BWCA in my college years but never hanging. I'll just have to go back and do it that way.

good luck with the opener...

and MAUI!

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 02-18-2008 at 13:51. Reason: usual -> useful

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Was it movie "Fargo" with the great line, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out".
    Grizz
    LOL, Ain't it the truth, though.

Good Hanging, Grizz.

Images
    I have nothing to add other than I am a human popsicle. Lots of insulation for me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I have nothing to add other than I am a human popsicle. Lots of insulation for me.
    Me TOO , I am a very cold sleeper. I for one am very glad that Amanda is thinking about startin to work with down. I HATE to be cold, but I also hate to carry a lot of extra weight. Ohhh the insanity, I do a lot of testing to make sure that everything is going to be fine for me.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    Check out www.featherind.com for down. I got a great deal on some 750 fill last year. The only thing is the min order is 2lbs. Price wise it is way worth it.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast