All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    going to make a gathered end hammock first but I am going to try this as soon as I get decent enough at sewing.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    going to make a gathered end hammock first but I am going to try this as soon as I get decent enough at sewing.
    This IS a gathered end hammock... Doesn't sound like a bad 1st project to me. I have the materials for my next hammock, and I'm interested in seeing how the non-rectangular shape affects the comfort, or allows a shorter hammock to be more comfortable...

Any input compared to a longer rectangular hammock?
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnfolsomjr View Post
    I'm planning on building one of these soon and was wondering if it would work to use a 1/2" piece of webbing sewn into the footbox side instead of the lash-it?
    It might be overkill as far as strength is concerned and would take up more material, but it would work.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Wow. TC, that was excellent - very clear and helpful. Thank you for adding to the body of hammock knowledge.
    Thanks for the kind words

Quote Originally Posted by johnfolsomjr View Post
    I'm trying to wrap my head around the asymmetrical body cuts for this hammock before I slice up my nylon and am slightly confused. Can someone look at my drawings and double check me?

Starting with a piece of ripstop that is 60" wide and 120" long and cutting the top and bottom into diagonals, correct?
    You have the concept correct. Starting with a 30 inch side triangle and hemming it results in about 26 inch finished side. 43 inch long side turns into about 36 inches. I believe you only need about a 15 inch setback on the head end though. if you go a full 20 inches the side has to much sag, tie a knot in the head end, add whoopies and hang it up and check before hemming it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    This IS a gathered end hammock... Doesn't sound like a bad 1st project to me. I have the materials for my next hammock, and I'm interested in seeing how the non-rectangular shape affects the comfort, or allows a shorter hammock to be more comfortable...

Any input compared to a longer rectangular hammock?
    There seems to be less back of knee pressure as compared to a square cut. It also allows it to be shorter, and gets better coverage under a tarp.

You could, without adding the footbox triangle, tie the diagonal cut bed with the Speer hammock knot on the ends and try it out first before sewing.

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    You could, without adding the footbox triangle, tie the diagonal cut bed with the Speer hammock knot on the ends and try it out first before sewing.

TZ

Brilliant! I can Whip the end with a LOT of extra and see! Great idea...

If I could only find a new bolt (or 3) of cheap 1.1 ripstop at Walmart...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Will be following this thread and may soon be injecting some thread based on this.
    Very interesting!
    +1 to that one Knotty. This looks mighty fine. Nice job there TZ

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    You have the concept correct. Starting with a 30 inch side triangle and hemming it results in about 26 inch finished side. 43 inch long side turns into about 36 inches. I believe you only need about a 15 inch setback on the head end though. if you go a full 20 inches the side has to much sag, tie a knot in the head end, add whoopies and hang it up and check before hemming it.
    Ok, so the current recommendation for your footbox hammock is 20" offset at the foot end (opposite side from the footbox) and 15" on the head end (same side as the footbox)?

Just want to make sure I have this right. I am definitely doing this mod before I hang again later this month. I already have my triangle hemmed up for it.

-Mike

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneEye View Post
    Ok, so the current recommendation for your footbox hammock is 20" offset at the foot end (opposite side from the footbox) and 15" on the head end (same side as the footbox)?

Just want to make sure I have this right. I am definitely doing this mod before I hang again later this month. I already have my triangle hemmed up for it.
    -Mike
    Correct. The non footbox side cut material length would be about 100 inches
    The footbox side of the hammock cut material length would be about 105 inches.

I would recommend sewing in the footbox triangle and hemming both sides and the footbox end. Then tie an overhand knot in the head end and hang it up for fit.
    Use a ridgeline about 83% of the hammock length for a start point, between 80 and 90 inches.
    You can adjust the amount of sag in the non footbox side at that point and shorten or lengthen the side to suit. Then finish cut the end and hem for the channel
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    So as I understand it trimming off both ends like you did will move the center of the hammock (hard to explain my meaning in word) giving more material where needed (foot side bottom right and head side top left) and less material where not needed (opposite feet and head). Am I correct on this one?

What does the zingit line in the hammock edge do. In the attached thumbnails in your first post it looks as though the footbox is really loose and so does the side your pushing out with your hand.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    So as I understand it trimming off both ends like you did will move the center of the hammock (hard to explain my meaning in word) giving more material where needed (foot side bottom right and head side top left) and less material where not needed (opposite feet and head). Am I correct on this one?

Correct, it lessens the back of leg pressure found with most square cut hammocks unless you go long and lay a big diagonal

What does the zingit line in the hammock edge do. In the attached thumbnails in your first post it looks as though the footbox is really loose and so does the side your pushing out with your hand.
    The zing it replaces any reinforcement patches on the corners of the triangle to the body. you could actually get in on the footbox side if you wanted to, and not tear the connection.

The footbox can flop over onto your feet, but if you slide down further it is tighter. My hammock model was not on a good diagonal either allowing the shoulder side to hang loose.
    That is also why I suggested cutting only a 15 inch diagonal on the head end rather than 20.
    Life's A Journey
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    TZ- I am looking at your diagram and wondering if you started with another 10" in length you could trim out the 30" x 30" x 43" triangle without having to use another piece of material. Yes, no, maybe so?

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast