Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images

Spring fever = new DIY gear Pics

I finally had the opportunity to (briefly) test my new DIY gear this morning here in Montreal, Quebec. The temperature up on Mount Royal when I set up was a balmy -8 Celsius with clear blue skies, winds out of the east gusting to 20km per hour. I chose a stealth site adjacent to the Mount Royal Cemetery (great neighbors!) and settled in for a couple hours of reading and blissful napping. It was pretty nippy setting up, as I was not really dressed for the weather.

DIY test items included:

Man Cave Tarp
    Iguana tarp skins)
    Tahiti Beach Blanket Hammock
    Twice Suspended (whoopie sling) tree huger suspension
    Beer Gut Insulation UQ
    French Toast IX (insultech) TQ
    Victoria's Secret Tarp Tensioner
    Recycled B-Illy Cook Set

The tarp, tensioner, and skins performed flawlessly. If you don't have the skins, get some/make some (ffachrisssake)!

The Tahiti Beach Blanket is slightly smaller than what many of you may be accustomed to. In Tahiti, they like a snug fit - nudge nudge, wink wink. Still, it affords a nearly flat lay for someone of my height (6-1).

The Beer Gut insulation works either as a UQ or a pad. This morning I was triying out as a pad and found it to be more than adequate. It is made with four layers of recycled PE foam with a layer of mylar in the middle. I was only out for a couple of hours, but felt no cold spots on my back side.

The French Toast IX TQ was a huge hit. I had originally hoped that it would be good down to about 5-10 degrees Celsius. This morning I wore a single pair of cotton socks, blue jeans, and a light polar fleece sweater. Under the tarp with the UQ & TQ I was snugasabuginarug! The IX is two layers surrounded by 1.1 oz RS calendared nylon fabric. Each IX layer is sewn with pleats that stand 1/4 inch high. The pleats on the top layer run side to side. The pleats on the bottom layer face the top layer and run end to end. These create a grid pattern of 6X6 inch air pockets. Believe you me, this rig holds a lot of air. It is also quite long - enough to completely cover my head, and it tucks neatly under my shoulders and legs. I love it, and can't get enough of it!!

The B-Illy Cook set is all recycled materials as well.

Pics:
    Last edited by jspate61; 04-15-2011 at 13:05. Reason: oops where are the pics? view my gallery

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    ... did I hear pics? Here we go!

NOTICE: These are jspate61's pictures, I just brought them from the gallery to here.
    (Jspate61 feel free to quote this post so you can get the BB Code and move it to the main post)

And for future reference in the image on the gallery there is a section that gives you the BB code that you can past in your post.
    Last edited by Kasuko; 04-15-2011 at 14:30.
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Nice looking gear ya got there. You must be very handy with a thread machine. What can you tell me about the black container and the expresso can in your cook kit ,Where did you find them and what are they?

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasuko View Post
    ... did I hear pics?
    sorry, the pics are in my gallery. I have not yet figured out how to post them on these threads.

cheers

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    Nice looking gear ya got there. You must be very handy with a thread machine. What can you tell me about the black container and the expresso can in your cook kit ,Where did you find them and what are they?
    The black container is a 1.5 liter plastic jug for Greek olives (it has a leak proof rubber ring seal). It, along with the Illy espresso can, was scavenged from the recycle bins that everyone here in Montreal puts out on the curb each Wednesday.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    jspate62 image

Select the image you want to upload right click and choose "Copy image URL" then click the insert image button - looks like mountains and sun - then paste and repeat. till you have what you want

Good looking pics.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by jspate61 View Post
    The black container is a 1.5 liter plastic jug for Greek olives (it has a leak proof rubber ring seal). It, along with the Illy espresso can, was scavenged from the recycle bins that everyone here in Montreal puts out on the curb each Wednesday.
    I really love the olive container , I going to keep my eye out for one of those. Thanks for sharing

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    The olive container does double duty: it stores fresh water at my camp site and when I am hiking it stores my espresso "B-Illy" cook kit. The lid on the olive container is a two piece affair which allows you to use a bandanna as a preliminary filter. Did i mention it was a freeby?

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Ily is expensive, but very good coffee. I do not buy it much anymore bc $. But, I saved several cans. Does your Ily do more than strore your stove and wind screen?

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wwk10 View Post
    Ily is expensive, but very good coffee. I do not buy it much anymore bc $. But, I saved several cans. Does your Ily do more than strore your stove and wind screen?
    Personally, I have never tried the coffee (far too expensive for me). I prefer to grind my own.

In answer to your question: the Illy can is my billy can (hence the name B-Illy can). I put two holes in the top so that i can use a wire coat hanger as a handle. The lid of the can has a plastic liner which I removed. I can turn the lid upside down as a pot lid. A wooden cloth spin provides a means of removing and replacing the hot lid. I can use the B-Illy can on my alky starlight knock-off stove, or I can use the can over a fire if necessity should require. You may notice that the can has a lining of sorts which does wonders to prevent sticking and promote ease of cleaning.

The alky stove I made also has a simmering ring which comes in very handy with the B-Illy can, as the can does transfer heat very rapidly. I routinely boil 2 cups of cold water in 6 minutes with less than 2 table spoons of fuel.

Give one a try if you get a chance. I think it beats the hell out of the soon to be extinct Heiny (spelling?) pot.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast