DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Many thanks to my amigo Kasuko for doing that which I could not!

Cheers

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Wow. Really great looking stuff you've put together there. I'd be very interested to know how the top quilt is working out for you. I may throw one together myself - for summer, boy wouldn't a single IX layer top quilt be light insulation - for those nights when you could get away with nothing, but that might be tempting the fates... temps swing a good bit where I camp.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    Wow. Really great looking stuff you've put together there. I'd be very interested to know how the top quilt is working out for you. I may throw one together myself - for summer, boy wouldn't a single IX layer top quilt be light insulation - for those nights when you could get away with nothing, but that might be tempting the fates... temps swing a good bit where I camp.
    Thanks to you, my friend. I bought all of my supplies from you and studied your DIY plans (as well as those of many others) for quite some time.

The "French Toast" TQ is nothing short of AWESOME! Simple as pie to make and far warmer than I ever would have imagined. I have only been able to give it a short test, but I felt no cold at all with the temperature at -8C here in Montreal. I was using my "Beer Gut" UQ as a pad between the two layers of my hammock.

A number of HF members have discussed using longitudinal pleats in the IX as means of creating air spaces. I simply added another layer of IX, but ran the second set of pleats side to side. The pleats from both layers face each other forming 6 inch squares. When you combine that with the calendared nylon, you end up with a quilt that holds a butt load of insulating air. I also made the thing long enough to completely cover my head. If I were to make another one tomorrow, I would not hesitate to add more pleats. The IX was a breeze to sew. I am sorry that I can't provide numbers at this time regarding weight, but if this thing weighs more that 14 oz, I eat my hat. On top of everything else, this stuff stays warm even when wet. Good bye, down!

When I did my test it was rather windy (gusting to about 20km/hr), but I had all of the hatches battened down on my four season "Man Cave" tarp. For clothing I was wearing (in the hammock) a light polar fleece shirt, blue jeans and one pair of cotton socks - that's it - no hat. I felt a cold spot under my neck wear the "Beer Gut" UQ ran short. When I dismantled all of my gear for the homeward trek I just about froze my *** off. So, I can say that it was indeed very cold.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12