Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    I have given it some thought and if I was only doing this as a car-camping/weekend sort of thing where weight is not an issue it would be a slam-dunk to add a pad or SPE of some sort.

However, this is for my thru-hike beginning in roughly 59 days and while the additional weight of a pad is not prohibitive the bulk is. In other words, if I pack the sleeping bag (my over quilt), the hammock and underquilt in the pack itself I have taken up better than half of the space inside my pack even compressed down to the smallest size I can get them. Mounting the pad and hammock, in the skins, on the outside would be the smart thing to do.

Again as most everyone who regularly hikes knows weight and balance of the load are important aspects of comfort along the trail. And while my plans are going to be pretty flexible. The plan right now is to carry the max food I can so that I can stay on the trail longer instead of just two to four days worth (NOLS among others recommends for my weight 2 to 2 1/2 lbs per day) and having to waste time repacking and packaging food stores, standing in lines and the sometimes long detours off trail that occur because the nearest full service town is more than a couple of miles away, hitchhiking several miles there and back, and there is no guarantees that you will get a ride one or both ways though the odds are fairly weighted to the 'you will get a ride' side.

Having had survival training and being a hunter I could set snares for fresh meat along the way but this means being static or staying in one place for a period of time. Then there are the edible flora and fungi along the trail that I can collect. ( Not everyone should attempt this as it is relatively easy to get very sick by eating something that looks safe and really is a false safe looking food. Not bad in and of itself but then I do want to at some point finish in Katahdin preferably in the same year I started.

So from my own perspective and remembering HYOH principles I am now refining my gear and useage issues so that surprises are minimal starting in March. It's good to be home and test things where you can bailout safely to the house. I'm definitely not going the Ultra-Lite route but am following the credo, 'Minimum weight, Maximum Gain'.

TOG

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    TOG, I think you make a very good point about finding your own personal baseline. It varies so much with respect to insulation that it's very difficult - if not impossible - to pin down one thing or set of guildelines that works for everyone. Knowing your body and erring on the side of caution will definitely go a long way towards keeping you safe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    TOG, I think you make a very good point about finding your own personal baseline. It varies so much with respect to insulation that it's very difficult - if not impossible - to pin down one thing or set of guildelines that works for everyone. Knowing your body and erring on the side of caution will definitely go a long way towards keeping you safe.
    Very well said. In fact, when we have the winter campout here in a few weeks, I think I am going to bring just about everything I own in the way of hammock insulation. Yes, you will all laugh at the size of my pack, but this is only my second time in the cold with my HH and my FIRST time with my Nest, Sniveller, etc.

We're not walking far, so Im using this trip to look at everyones set up, figure out what my cold weather comfort zones are in the HH and apply it to my packing list (my weight is usually around 20#s for three season with food and water).

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dog View Post
    Very well said. In fact, when we have the winter campout here in a few weeks, I think I am going to bring just about everything I own in the way of hammock insulation. Yes, you will all laugh at the size of my pack, but this is only my second time in the cold with my HH and my FIRST time with my Nest, Sniveller, etc.

We're not walking far, so Im using this trip to look at everyones set up, figure out what my cold weather comfort zones are in the HH and apply it to my packing list (my weight is usually around 20#s for three season with food and water).

BD
    can't blame you for bringing extra. untill you've had a chance to actualy try stuff out in real conditions, it's hard to know what's going to work best for you.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Bird Dog,

If I were to go, they'd be laughing at my pack too.
    I would do the same thing, bringing the kitchen sink to see what's what.

Somehow I suspect that Mt Rogers might be a "tad" different than here in my backyard in GA, lol

Sounds like you have a good plan !

Have fun !
    Perkolady

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Bird Dog,

If I were to go, they'd be laughing at my pack too.
    I would do the same thing, bringing the kitchen sink to see what's what.

Somehow I suspect that Mt Rogers might be a "tad" different than here in my backyard in GA, lol

Sounds like you have a good plan !

Have fun !
    Perkolady
    What? Your not going to be there? Guess that means I will be the target of ALL the jokes then! Thanks Alot!

Just kidding. I think I saw it somewhere on this site said best (something to this effect): Im an experienced backpacker but a kindergartner when it comes to hammocking.

Its okay. Im thick skinned and I can handle it!

BD
    Just Jeff made me do it

Images
    What? Your not going to be there? Guess that means I will be the target of ALL the jokes then! Thanks Alot!

Just kidding. I think I saw it somewhere on this site said best (something to this effect): Im an experienced backpacker but a kindergartner when it comes to hammocking.

Its okay. Im thick skinned and I can handle it!

BD

If anyone starting making fun of you too much, start a conversation about hammocking gone wrong. I have hit (not gently but from 2-3 feet) the ground 3 times trashing 2 DIY hammocks, and I put a hole in my HH the very first time I hung it. Everyone has storys like that.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images

Talking

BD
    that sound good then we can follow you around like newbie thru hikers and pic up gear heheeheheh
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    diy 9x11
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniveller
    Suspension
    CBs + DCs
    Images
    Bird Dog,

I recently made a reference to feeling like I'm back in kindergarten again, lol!

I am considering going to Mt. Rogers (I WANNA REAL BAD!!!)

My husband travels for a living- I won't know until last minute if he'll be here to hold the fort down (kids)

But, if you see some 5 ft old lady with a REALLY ridiculous looking pack hiking very slowly towards the group, trying to catch her breath- it may be me !

Feel free to giggle...
    Perkolady

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkolady View Post
    Bird Dog,

I recently made a reference to feeling like I'm back in kindergarten again, lol!

I am considering going to Mt. Rogers (I WANNA REAL BAD!!!)

My husband travels for a living- I won't know until last minute if he'll be here to hold the fort down (kids)

But, if you see some 5 ft old lady with a REALLY ridiculous looking pack hiking very slowly towards the group, trying to catch her breath- it may be me !

Feel free to giggle...
    Perkolady
    Definitly try to make it. I went to a campout the Ed Speer put together in Hot Springs and it helped out a lot to see everyone's setups. It was fun to talk to people that actually enjoy what I like to do. Sure beats the strange looks that everyone I know gives me.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast