Tarp
    Nylon 10'12'
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    unknown @ this tim

More questions than answers

Got more questions than answers.

I have got to blame YouTube, Shug, Medicjimr and others for getting me back into camping, hiking and etc. As I watch each video or read each tale/post on the forum, I am drawn deeper into the addiction again. After 30 some years, I thought I had kicked the habit, guess not!

Now I have started to planning to go wandering. Thanks all...with friends like you folks I will be in the poor outhouse again. Since economics is a matter of great significance, I will just have to plan on doing a wee bit of work to get what I need.

I dug out my "single burner Coleman stove" still had fuel in it after sitting in its container for the last decade plus. That will have to be cleaned & retrofitted.
    Have started to pick up used beer cans, am on the look out for a aluminum bud bottle. I probably will have to drink the contents...like that is a hard decision.
    Will have to steal an empty catfood can or two to make myself an alcohol stove - the cats will understand. Or perhaps just visit Ebuster for a bid on a stove..who knows...ME don't. Looked at Ebuster - prices are vastly different...mmmmmmmmm.

Cookkit is a choice of 24-ounce "Progresso" soup can, a 46-ounce Tomato juice can or using my military canteen cup. Probably choose my canteen cup. Time to haunt the local stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army or Ebuster...
    Just visited ebay, looking for an opinion on GSI bugaboo or the Microdualist.

My down sleeping bag rated to "0", it has been in the closet for the last several years, that has come out and hung out to air...time to research how to bring back a bag - so I have work ahead.

I have a few tarps both those "blue" ones and nylon - looked at the nylon yesterday - probably will have to recoat them - have one that should work well as a tarp for the hammock - 8'x12'. Looking to try to work in a couple 5'x7' tarps in for the doors, but that will take a thought or two.

If I understand matter right, a hammock is simply a rectangle of material gathered together and hung between a couple of supports. Right or am I wrong? So a DYI hammock is in the mindworks - mmmmmmmmmm am I planning to much? The Shug would know...Ha.

My pack would be an old Jansport external, rather go with a internal frame or frameless one...that will have to be saved for. Any suggestions, folks? I know Shug sweats at his Ohm pack. That might do..

Another object of discussion - water purification - I use to use iodine crystals. Looking for opinions about what's what this century.

And that brings to an end my current trails of thought. If anyone has any suggestion, please don't hesitate to share them...
    I can never be a purist, for example I will always carry a fixed blade knife, folks call them bushcraft knives these days - I call them "knives". Another example, I can't see spending $$ for a titanium spoon when I can buy one from a thrift store for less than a dollar. Oh, the spoons from "Wendy's" & her relatives work just fine - but melt or break...
    I have a "Japanese soup spoon" about 5-inches long and it is extremely light weight. That works for me.

Thanks u'all

Pat

I love Maple syrup; to play in hollows and rills; play with sgian and to eat Bacon & beef. Life is good.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KaytShelg View Post

Got more questions than answers.

I have got to blame YouTube, Shug, Medicjimr and others for getting me back into camping, hiking and etc. As I watch each video or read each tale/post on the forum, I am drawn deeper into the addiction again. After 30 some years, I thought I had kicked the habit, guess not!

Now I have started to planning to go wandering. Thanks all...with friends like you folks I will be in the poor outhouse again. Since economics is a matter of great significance, I will just have to plan on doing a wee bit of work to get what I need.

I dug out my "single burner Coleman stove" still had fuel in it after sitting in its container for the last decade plus. That will have to be cleaned & retrofitted.
    Have started to pick up used beer cans, am on the look out for a aluminum bud bottle. I probably will have to drink the contents...like that is a hard decision.
    Will have to steal an empty catfood can or two to make myself an alcohol stove - the cats will understand. Or perhaps just visit Ebuster for a bid on a stove..who knows...ME don't. Looked at Ebuster - prices are vastly different...mmmmmmmmm.

Cookkit is a choice of 24-ounce "Progresso" soup can, a 46-ounce Tomato juice can or using my military canteen cup. Probably choose my canteen cup. Time to haunt the local stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army or Ebuster...
    Just visited ebay, looking for an opinion on GSI bugaboo or the Microdualist.

My down sleeping bag rated to "0", it has been in the closet for the last several years, that has come out and hung out to air...time to research how to bring back a bag - so I have work ahead.

I have a few tarps both those "blue" ones and nylon - looked at the nylon yesterday - probably will have to recoat them - have one that should work well as a tarp for the hammock - 8'x12'. Looking to try to work in a couple 5'x7' tarps in for the doors, but that will take a thought or two.

If I understand matter right, a hammock is simply a rectangle of material gathered together and hung between a couple of supports. Right or am I wrong? So a DYI hammock is in the mindworks - mmmmmmmmmm am I planning to much? The Shug would know...Ha.

My pack would be an old Jansport external, rather go with a internal frame or frameless one...that will have to be saved for. Any suggestions, folks? I know Shug sweats at his Ohm pack. That might do..

Another object of discussion - water purification - I use to use iodine crystals. Looking for opinions about what's what this century.

And that brings to an end my current trails of thought. If anyone has any suggestion, please don't hesitate to share them...
    I can never be a purist, for example I will always carry a fixed blade knife, folks call them bushcraft knives these days - I call them "knives". Another example, I can't see spending $$ for a titanium spoon when I can buy one from a thrift store for less than a dollar. Oh, the spoons from "Wendy's" & her relatives work just fine - but melt or break...
    I have a "Japanese soup spoon" about 5-inches long and it is extremely light weight. That works for me.

Thanks u'all

Pat
    I've been doing a lot of research lately on water filters since I've lost faith in my SteriPen. I've concluded that after considering reliability, ease of use, weight and bang for the buck the Katadyn Hiker or Hiker Pro is my choice. It has a very long and happy history among backpackers. Chemicals are lighter and then there are the gravity feeds but when it's all said and done I think a simple pump is the way to go. JMHO

Miguel

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7dbl,Dangerbird 65
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,JRB,MM
    Suspension
    WB, Whoopie Slings
    I have put an order in for a Hyperlite Mountain Gear Cuben Fiber pack. I plan on using it mainly for canoe tripping but I will post a report after a few trips.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com..._support_1.jpg

Weighs 1.6lbs and has 2500 cubic inches of volume.

Something to look at anyway
    Last edited by Bunk; 04-16-2011 at 09:26. Reason: changes

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    you are right about the hammock. one of the best places for diy info - other than hf - is just jeff's site: http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGear.html

i love my katadyn pocket for when i push bike, but would probably carry it as well and compensate for weight w/ less water for a hike. i make these decisions depending on the trail of course. i also carry aquamira tabs, but never had to used them so far

i just got the osprey hornet 46 w/ a 3l water bladder, but i think the ohm is better in capacity and weight, so go for it! :-)

most often heard advice on reviving down is to wash it. there are good and bad ways to do that... hth, and welcome to hf!

Hammock
    Superior Gear
    Tarp
    Superior Gear
    Insulation
    Down
    Quote Originally Posted by KaytShelg View Post

I can never be a purist,

A purist what? Are you mixing up being a hammock camper with being ultralight? The two can go together well but really are not tied together. Are you saying you cant be a purist hammocker because you cant give up your tent? I still use a tent when the family is along. While hiking and hammocks are a good match by no means are all hammock campers hikers. Your choice of equipment such as a knife is truly personal. I am no where near being ultralight. Shoot my setup is not even light but I do try to lighten the load a bit when I get new gear. Light is not cheap so I have to prioritize my purchases and consider function verses weight vs cost. Im still curious what kind of purist you will never be cause I think Im not one either.
    Pete.
    The opinions expressed by this user are not those of a competent individual. If they were that would mean I know what I am talking about.

Hammock
    diy 2ply; eno single
    Tarp
    Nylon 10'12'
    Insulation
    Primaloft
    Suspension
    unknown @ this tim
    I have this mindset of doing with what I have, hence I claim I am not a purist nor would I want to be. I want a pack that is comfortable, a hammock made by my own hands, a reasonable cook-kit and a stove that is reliable.

I think I do a cost analysis with each purchase I do - I guess I am getting to old and stogy in my ways.

________

I love Maple syrup; to play in hollows and rills; play with sgian and to eat Bacon & beef. Life is good.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Buying packs can be funny, lots of good ones out there. Lots of distractions as well. Hard to go wrong with the Ohm. IIRC it comes in at a little over 3400 cu in. Heck Shug endorses it!

Be careful not get ahead of yourself. Going Ultralight and/or Lightweight while you start to lose the pounds, you can begin to gain volume and may need more cubic inches to carry less in some cases. Depends on where you are starting.

You can avoid an expensive mistake if you can figure out what you will need or can afford to carry at the present time, then purchase a proper sized pack, instead of the other way around.

As you accumulate better gear your weights will go down. Look for a pack with a good load stabilization system, so it will adjust as you refine your rig. My GoLite Pinnacle has a good one. I'm sure ULA and others like Sixmoons, and many if not all of the cottage industry guys can accommodate most requests. If you know just what you want, I'd say give them a shot too.

2500 cu inches would be too little volume for me at this time for anything other than a dayout or slackpack. Canoe/Kayak can be a different thing altogether. Need more room get a couple more drybags!
    Last edited by Rolloff; 04-17-2011 at 22:14.
    Signature suspended

don't forget a blue pad so your but don't freeze..

Chinook tarps look to be in stock. 9.5x12 for $33 someone on here reported, I have the 12x14 Chinook Helicopter Hanger and it's fantastic for the price.. even double the price, not quite triple though

Keep an eye out for some good deals and you can get a nice pack on the cheap. Only think I've paid full price for in my pack is my hammock and bugnet. Everything was bought discount for frankenstien'd.

That's a lie, my quilts were regular price.. but my pack, kitchen, trekking poles, water purification, tarp, all discounted or best deal avilable so keep your eyes out and you can save some biiiiig bucks.

Sounds like you have most everything you really need at this point though and the fact you have a down bag already lightens you up a couple pounds at least. Keep an eye on the PIF thread here too and you may be able to reappropriate some of your current gear you don't need/use for something you may need/want in PIF.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Make sure to check JustJeff's site for hammock gold and instructions to make your own.......http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Your on your merry ol' way)))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    I like Jeff's (rjcress) gravity water filter found on his gear review and DIY site. I have a similar setup I have used a few times. It works great.

I made a DIY hammock, but I still haven't hit my comfort point. Next attempt will be to add a footbox like TZbrown shows in his post DIY Hammock with Footbox

Just wait till you read about amsteel and whoopie slings or UCR's (whatever that stands for, did I even get the letters right?). I'm a knot junkie, so this splicing thing sounds interesting. I'm going to have to get my hammock sorted out before I go all high-tech on the suspension system, but I already have some amsteel ready for when I deem my hammock good enough.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast