Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    If you know anybody that knits a lot, ask them to teach you how to coil yarn. They have a trick for coiling the yarn in a figure 8 pattern that stops tangling. You can use the same trick for figure 8 coiling guy line cord.

Basically, using the index finger and the little finger (the two middle fingers are curled into the palm), coil the cord around in a figure 8 pattern. That lays coils on top of each other and prevents a lot of the tangling. With a regular straight coil, the coils become meshed with each other, The figure 8 pattern prevents that from happening. Works great for me.

I can take 20' to 50' of guy line cord in a figure 8 coil, hold the free end and toss the coil and have it come out, no tangles. If I try that with a straight coil, I get a complete tangled mess most of the time.
    HC4U taught me this trick this fall, and it works wonders. The only thing I'd add to this most excellent description is that I stop the figure 8 coil with enough free cord left to wrap tightly around the coil bundle for at least a quarter or so of its length, taking special care to trap the other free end well under it. The last turn is slipped under the prior turn to hold it.

Grizz

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    If you know anybody that knits a lot, ask them to teach you how to coil yarn. They have a trick for coiling the yarn in a figure 8 pattern that stops tangling. You can use the same trick for figure 8 coiling guy line cord.
    The figure 8 method is shown near the end of this video.

I don't use the figure 8, but I've had success using this method for my tarp lines.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I have had problems with Kelty tripease slipping on my 9s wet and dry. I haven't had any problem with mason line yet. I try to really pull it onto the teeth. I'm glad someone brought this subject up. Until now I was ashamed to admit I had trouble with the figure 9s. Now that I know others are will to admit to the problem. maybe the healing can begin. We could start a support group dedicated to helping each other.

Hello, my name is Grizz, and I used to be all messed up on figure-9s. But since I found the trucker's hitch now I'm all messed up on the trucker's hitch. Have you read The Ashley Book of Knots today? It can help you too. Let us turn together to ABOK #2124 and read responsively...

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    HC4U taught me this trick this fall, and it works wonders. The only thing I'd add to this most excellent description is that I stop the figure 8 coil with enough free cord left to wrap tightly around the coil bundle for at least a quarter or so of its length, taking special care to trap the other free end well under it. The last turn is slipped under the prior turn to hold it.

Grizz
    That works well to hold the coil. Another method is the one shown on the page linked to by AngrySparrow above.

Images
    Thanks for the posts about keeping lines tangle free. I will try them.

I did some more checking on the Figure 9 and mason line. One of the trees I use in my back yard is an old oak tree with close to 2' diameter. When I go around this tree with the mason line and back to the Figure 9 and apply tension, the rope catches on the bark which causes the other side to slacken, and then the Figure 9 slides. This happens even with dry line.

I have tried using a single rope from the tree to the Figure 9, and it works well. I attached the Figure 9 to the tarp with a small length of cord and a larks head. I had a small loop in the end of the rope, went around the tree and threaded the rope through the loop, then to the Figure 9. I had no problem getting the tarp really tight.

I will probably get two of the really small and light biners and use this similar to the webbing for the hammock until I find something more convenient. It seems like I am adding more and more weight for convenience. I just added the cinch buckles and biners for the hammock suspension, and I think they are well worth the weight. I am not really sure about the Figure 9s yet. I've got to try them for a while.

Images

Basically, using the index finger and the little finger (the two middle fingers are curled into the palm), coil the cord around in a figure 8 pattern. That lays coils on top of each other and prevents a lot of the tangling. With a regular straight coil, the coils become meshed with each other, The figure 8 pattern prevents that from happening. Works great for me.

I can take 20' to 50' of guy line cord in a figure 8 coil, hold the free end and toss the coil and have it come out, no tangles. If I try that with a straight coil, I get a complete tangled mess most of the time.
    Thanks, I'm going to coil my bear line that way from now on. It has been an aggravating issue tangling when I uncoil it. Just quickly trying it shows me why figure 8 pattern works better.
    Youngblood AT2000

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Talking elaborate hardwear

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    Hello, my name is Grizz, and I used to be all messed up on figure-9s. But since I found the trucker's hitch now I'm all messed up on the trucker's hitch. Have you read The Ashley Book of Knots today? It can help you too. Let us turn together to ABOK #2124 and read responsively...
    Grizz, every winter I acquire the latest and greatest hardware and re-rig my gear. I bought 20 of those glow in the dark line-locs and have already installed them. Over the summer I will remove all the hardware and replace them with a knot, then put the abandoned hardware in a plastic bag. I have learned to embrace this little eccentricity over the years.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I came across that figure 8 winding technique on a headphone site to keep headphone wires from tangling. It works so well I have adopted it for many uses. Also, the figure 8 winding technique will keep the line from being twisted.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I got a new tarp last week and did the first set-up under a tornado warning. Talk about a fun first set-up.

Anyway, my mason line got twisted into knots the likes of which I've never seen before while trying to get tied down. The fig 9s on my guy lines lasted until about the first gust of wind. My ridgeline 9s did fine, but I use a larger diameter poly cord there. The 9s are useless on mason line with wind and water.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I got a new tarp last week and did the first set-up under a tornado warning. Talk about a fun first set-up.

Anyway, my mason line got twisted into knots the likes of which I've never seen before while trying to get tied down. The fig 9s on my guy lines lasted until about the first gust of wind. My ridgeline 9s did fine, but I use a larger diameter poly cord there. The 9s are useless on mason line with wind and water.
    Sorry to hear about your experience with the 9s on those guy outs. Hope you didn't get soaked as bad as I did. But spending a night out in rain is well worth it, IMO. I love the pitter-patter of rain drops on the tarp.

I have started to like the 9s on the ridgeline. I am using a different cord for the ridgeline now, and it works well with the Figure 9s. But I think the tarp stayed tighter over the course of the night with the mason line. Maybe the stretch in the mason line acts like a tarp tensioner of sorts?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast