DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    d-p, you're not offending anyone (at least me) as you're offering information about how you operate your cottage shop. As there are various types of insulation out there, I was simply asking about the specific type you use.

Quote Originally Posted by d-p View Post
    Not sharing our vendor's actual product name is something we've chosen to do, due to our expensive searches for quality at low prices. (value)
    In sharing actual product name there are some industrious folks who will purchase that particular type of insulation and attempt a DIY version. But at your prices - which are outstanding - it seems unlikely there would be any cost benefit to the DIY-er. Satisfaction out of building their own, sure, but cost savings? Many a post has been written about whether or not DIY saves money and most often, it doesn't.

Members here have no intention of derailing the hard work you put in to your gear, we just simply want to be informed. All of us "go to school" on what you as a cottage industry do which is one of the reasons our DIY area is so expansive - the sharing of ideas and then improving upon them. Cottage shops research products, strike a deal with the manufacturer and then offer those items out of their store and make a profit - no one can blame anyone for that. If one were to attempt to make the same product using materials from them, we all expect that there is a markup on their end and again, they deserve to make that profit. As you have searched high and low for great value to pass along to us, which we all appreciate, we're asking for transparency from you.

Other cottage industries do offer this information:
    Warbonnet 850+ fill down
    Hammockgear: Goose down,"Rating Based Upon 800 Fill Down"
    JacksRBetter has this comparison chart
    Paul at Arrowhead lets us know he uses Climashield and 800+ fill down and finally Scott at backwoodsdaydreamer came across the hard-to-find Insultex.

I am eagerly awaiting Navigator's review and I agree with KerMegan that sometimes you have to take a leap. I am seeking more information before that leap is taken.

Thanks to all our happy customers for believing our value.
    dp www.dphammockgear.com
    I have no doubts that Dave (the owner) is a good guy who is offering Reliable - Ultralite - low cost, USA made gear and will continue to have many a satisfied customer. Reputations (both good and bad) on forums such as this spread like a fungus in a locker room. It is nice to see other cottage industries coming to market and I truly wish you the best because we all profit from it: d-p on a financial basis and members (consumers) from satisfaction and peace of mind in supporting cottage industries versus large box stores.
    Last edited by Syb; 04-25-2011 at 08:01.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images

Extensive testing planned

Quote Originally Posted by Syb View Post
    I am eagerly awaiting Navigator's review...
    I plan to use the instrumented European mannequins I keep in the basement to do full testing. I will also subject the synthetic fill and other materials to standard BPA/dioxin analysis, and will check all threads and dyes for lead contamination. After I have completed the full battery of front and side impact studies, I will publish the results here.

And I'll set it up in the backyard.

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    I plan to use the instrumented European mannequins I keep in the basement to do full testing. I will also subject the synthetic fill and other materials to standard BPA/dioxin analysis, and will check all threads and dyes for lead contamination. After I have completed the full battery of front and side impact studies, I will publish the results here.

And I'll set it up in the backyard.

Don't forget the hydrostatic head waterproof testing of the shell fabric It's all the rage over at BPL these days

BF

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot2 View Post
    Don't forget the hydrostatic head waterproof testing of the shell fabric
    To be used in conjunction with the Flux Capacitor.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Great scott make sure it has the 1.21 gigawatts, or it will never work!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Make sure to put the wiggling pin correctly into the wobbling shaft...

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Haaaaaaaaaaaaa

You guys are funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn'ie.

Buddy Mule kept telling me a couple years ago, I should get on the Forum. Little did I know what fun ( and knowledge) I was missing by not taking his advice right away.

dp Under-Quilt closed cell windshield pad is now included with every dp Under-Quilt. Gargoyle turned me on to this 38 gram gem at the 2nd Annual Hoosier Hang. He was using one for a ground pad around the "hang-fire" and it looked so neat I asked him about it.

If you've ordered a dp Under-Quilt before I started including, just ask for it with your next order and I'll include free of charge.

Let me brag on Gargoyle a second ... this gentle giant should write a book. It's amazing the knowledge his neurons are firing.

The thing that impressed me the most was how his GARGRILLER wood stove can burn wet wood. Ask him about it ............... Uhhhh I'll start a thread about wood stoves and maybe he'll share some secrets ...

And ........... have you joined the "dp gear crew" yet. Haaaaaa

I've just about got the dp pillow perfected ...

dp dave

www.dphammockgear.com

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    You guys are funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn'ie.

Buddy Mule kept telling me a couple years ago, I should get on the Forum. Little did I know what fun ( and knowledge) I was missing by not taking his advice right away.

dp Under-Quilt closed cell windshield pad is now included with every dp Under-Quilt. Gargoyle turned me on to this 38 gram gem at the 2nd Annual Hoosier Hang. He was using one for a ground pad around the "hang-fire" and it looked so neat I asked him about it.

If you've ordered a dp Under-Quilt before I started including, just ask for it with your next order and I'll include free of charge.

Let me brag on Gargoyle a second ... this gentle giant should write a book. It's amazing the knowledge his neurons are firing.

The thing that impressed me the most was how his GARGRILLER wood stove can burn wet wood. Ask him about it ............... Uhhhh I'll start a thread about wood stoves and maybe he'll share some secrets ...

And ........... have you joined the "dp gear crew" yet. Haaaaaa

I've just about got the dp pillow perfected ...

dp dave

www.dphammockgear.com
    Dude...i gotta' say that listening to you talk in the third person is...odd.

BF

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    ordering mine right now

I don't know who stormcrows vendor is but I know he uses 900 fill goose down.. not just, down.

Same with Paul, don't know who supplied his Climashield (though he may have actually posted it when he was talking about getting some of the real good stuff), but I know that's the particular synthetic he's using...

Guess my logic is flawed because I'm not understanding the information security regarding your insulation TYPE.. not vendor.. I don't think that the DIY'ers here would take any profits from you as they would've made their own stuff anyways and the unspoken rule is to not rip someone elses ideas for profit.. make for yourself. Unless your trying to corner the DIY market to buy synthetic insulation from dp. If that's the case, I don't know many who'd buy a generic tag of synthetic over a known material..

Your venture buddy, just giving you some consumer... or potential consumer, feedback. I research all of my gear inside and out and lack of specific insulation type would be a major info gap for me, make it hard to pull the trigger wondering if I'm getting repurposed walmart sleeping bags? Or that grade of material?

Best of luck, glad to have another gear maker on the forums. Wish I could've made the Hoosier Hang, would've loved to have seen some of your stuff in action.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast