Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL / WB Edge/SF
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Whoopie bury length include taper/Tapering?

When making whoopie slings out of 7/64 amsteel I understand the locked brummel needs a bury of 4.5 inches. If I have tapered the end of the rope does the bury length include tapered portion of the rope or is the bury length just for the untapered part?

If the tapered portion is a inch long should I bury 5.5 inches or would 4.5 inches with an inch of taper satisfy the recommended bury length?

Also, the tapering instructions I found were on 12 strand 1/8" amsteel, 6 threads were marked and cut, on 7/64 rope with 8" strands do I only mark and cut 4?

In my attempt to understand what I'm doing and measuring three times and cutting once these are the last issues I am having. Any help greatly appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    The bury length is determined by the length of rope that the sheath grips--so don't include your tapered section (although don't fret small amounts). Technically yes on a 4-strand cut/8 strand rope--the most important thing to the taper is to make a smooth taper (no harsh transitions/edges).

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0DL / WB Edge/SF
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the info rumblefish. I thought about it a bit more after posting and went ahead and decided not to include the taper in measurements. It's nice to know I made the right choice.

So I have my first (home made) whoopiesling attached to a hennessy. I love the all-in-one system I bought from whoopieslings.com but it's really satisfying knowing I made my own. My 6 year old can have my first HH and I'll have the one with the home made kit on. When I manage to wangle a WBBB the wife can have my hand me down

Thanks also go to opie and slowbro for their pictorials.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by ScratchyBadger View Post
    When making whoopie slings out of 7/64 amsteel I understand the locked brummel needs a bury of 4.5 inches. If I have tapered the end of the rope does the bury length include tapered portion of the rope or is the bury length just for the untapered part?

If the tapered portion is a inch long should I bury 5.5 inches or would 4.5 inches with an inch of taper satisfy the recommended bury length?

Also, the tapering instructions I found were on 12 strand 1/8" amsteel, 6 threads were marked and cut, on 7/64 rope with 8" strands do I only mark and cut 4?

In my attempt to understand what I'm doing and measuring three times and cutting once these are the last issues I am having. Any help greatly appreciated.
    You don't need to taper the end of a locked brummel, just cut it on an angle. For 7/64, I make two marks, one at 4.75 inches, and the second one at 12.75 inches. That leaves a 4" loop, and a proper 2 fid bury.

• + New Posts