Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Hoorray!! And welcome!!
    I can't add anything to the good advice already posted,
    but wanted to extend a hardy hello! and wish you well.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Thanks for all the info guys. A friend is letting me borrow her ENO for a few naps and so forth and I will go from there. This place is full of info!

Keith

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hey Keith. The ENO is really a great lounging hammock. I still sleep in mine at night sometimes. The sag of the hammock is important so when you set it up you may have to make adjustments to find out what you like. Also, to lay flatter, you have to lay at a diagonal. Let us know how you like it and ask if you have any questions. Have fun!
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    Grand Trunk Double for Sale here in forum $40 shipped! Great Deal
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=32175
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

hey KG

I too am in Columbia South Carolina and a new hammock guy. I have made two hammocks and now thankfully am no longer a groundling. Camping in a hammock is now the only way for me.

-TN6

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    I have a question about WBBB hammocks. I am not a small guy (6'2, between 270 and 280 now though working on reducing that) and I would like to know how conservative the weight recommendations on the BB are. The 1.7 double seems to be the way to go, but it is the heaviest and I was wondering if I could get away with either the 1.1 or 1.0 double? I figured that the 1.1 double would be OK, but does anyone know how different the lay is compared to the 1.7 double? Brandon makes a point that the heavier fabric gives a flatter lay, but I guess I am wondering how different it really is.

Also, I am still looking into the ENO and the GT, but I generally I like to buy once and not work my way up spending all the way. Of course my kids could inherit the ENO/GT hammocks. Choices, Choices.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    WB SF camo
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    Hi TN6,

Making you own sounds like a fun project. I must concede though that I have very limited sewing skills. Nice to hear from another SCarolinian and a Columbia resident as well. What are your favorite places to hang for short trips, i.e. locally.

Keith

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Just a note on the pads- if you have one already, you can use it under you (or between the layers in a double layer hammock), but they do tend to be not quite wide enough to 'curl' up around shoulders and hip as you are in the hammock. an inflatable pad works best if somewhat softer (less air) than you would use to keep your body parts out of ground contact, (since there is plenty of distance between yourself and the ground, this is not a concern) but will still provide plenty of insulation, from both cold and wind. Hope that helps some.
    KM (who is grumpy at her trainer today..should have pulled the hammock out to sleep anyway.)

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies

Talking Welcome

Welcome to the forum!

I live outside Atlanta now, but I grew up in Columbia. You need 4 things to hammock camp: hammock, tarp, over insulation, under insulation.

Hammock
    If you are inclined to buy once, I would get the WBBB hammock. That is definitely the most popular hammock amongst forum members (and my personal favorite). If you decide to sell it, I have seen them go for 90+% retail or even ABOVE retail when people are in a hurry, so you won't take much if any loss as long as you take care of it. For a guy your size, I would probably go with the 1.7 DL. If you are wanting to shed a few oz, then ask Brandon what he recommends. You can email him or PM him here (warbonnetguy).

Tarp
    I would use a cheap Walmart tarp (unless you can borrow a camping tarp). You can always upgrade the tarp later if you decide to really get into hammocking.

Over insulation
    An old sleeping bag works just fine for over insulation. If you get bit by the bug, you can turn a sleeping bag into a top quilt, make your own, or simply buy one. There are several cottage industries on this forum that make top quality gear! If you don't mind the few extra oz, you can always stick with the sleeping bag.

Under insulation
    For under insulation (and this is important even in Columbia if temperatures drop below 75ish), you can use a cheap Walmart closed cell foam pad or an inflatable pad. If you get a double layer hammock, the pad slips in between and won't shift around on you. An underquilt replaces a pad and is considered far more comfortable by most (but not all) hammockers. Try the pad 1st since its dirt cheap and then upgrade if you feel like it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kgbenson View Post
    I have a question about WBBB hammocks. I am not a small guy (6'2, between 270 and 280 now though working on reducing that) and I would like to know how conservative the weight recommendations on the BB are. The 1.7 double seems to be the way to go, but it is the heaviest and I was wondering if I could get away with either the 1.1 or 1.0 double? I figured that the 1.1 double would be OK, but does anyone know how different the lay is compared to the 1.7 double? Brandon makes a point that the heavier fabric gives a flatter lay, but I guess I am wondering how different it really is.
    If comfort is your main motivator, get the double 1.7. I believe either the single 1.7 or double 1.1 will hold you without problems, but the stretch is going to be significant. Not necessarily a bad thing, but most folks don't find stretched hammocks as comfortable. If you're serious about losing some weight, then maybe one of the other options could be the carrot on the stick, so to speak. At 240ish, I sleep just fine and comfortable in the single 1.7 or double 1.1. That said, I generally take my double 1.7 more often than not.

Quote Originally Posted by kgbenson View Post
    I generally I like to buy once and not work my way up spending all the way.
    Lots of luck with that one.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast