Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wool blanket vs. foam pad?

Will a wool blanket replace a foam pad inside a hammock in temperatures between 20 - 40 degrees f? I like all my gear to be as versatile as possible and was just wondering if a wool blanket folded to where it is basically two layers be better than a foam pad? Thanks for your time gents.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    You could use the wool blanket but I'm not sure what temps you will get to with it. It will be heavier than a CCF pad and pack about the same size as well. In my opinion, a CCF pad is much more versatile than a wool blanket. Imagine how heavy it would be if it got soaked! HYOY

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Another thing a wool blanket doesn't do as well, is block the wind. I've used a wool blanket with a pad, which helped but I don't know how well it would work on its own.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Wool is great as a survival tool , it is heavy . A pad believe it or not carrys the same insulation value . wool is heavy , a pad is not .
    Now! wool wont burn fast....a pad ? will light up like a christmas tree.
    Wool provides the same insulation when its wet , thats about the only good that comes from humping a wool blanket in your pack...stick with a pad and whatever your choice for sleeping bag . top quilt is...Semper FI!!
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    You could use the wool blanket but I'm not sure what temps you will get to with it. It will be heavier than a CCF pad and pack about the same size as well. In my opinion, a CCF pad is much more versatile than a wool blanket. Imagine how heavy it would be if it got soaked! HYOY
    I don't see how a pad can be more versatile than a wool blanket I'm not knocking your opinion or anything but I just don't see it.
    For instance, you can't make a pad into a pack like with a wool blanket. I don't think you could string up a pad for shade or make a pad into a coat either. Also I doubt you could scrape a pad and use the scrapings for tinder to get a fire going. I'm sure you could use a pad for a ground pad for a footprint ( I guess that's the term I'm looking for) but a wool blanket is bigger.
    Sure I know a wool blanket is heavy when it's wet but it will still keep you warm when wet. I wasn't thinking of spreading blanket completely out and using that way. That would make it too thin. I was speaking of doubling it up and folding to about the size of a pad and then lying on top of it like you would with a pad. I don't mind the weight of a wool blanket since it's weight versus rate ratio is very good. A wool blanket is one of my favorite pieces of kit for these reasons.

Hammock
    ENO dblnest
    Tarp
    Jacks Cat
    Insulation
    3S incubator
    Suspension
    Opie's whoopies
    Not sure I would trust the wool to keep me warm below 40F. It would be nice to be able to try it where you could also have the pad handy as a backup.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stcavmp77 View Post
    I don't see how a pad can be more versatile than a wool blanket I'm not knocking your opinion or anything but I just don't see it.
    For instance, you can't make a pad into a pack like with a wool blanket. I don't think you could string up a pad for shade or make a pad into a coat either. Also I doubt you could scrape a pad and use the scrapings for tinder to get a fire going. I'm sure you could use a pad for a ground pad for a footprint ( I guess that's the term I'm looking for) but a wool blanket is bigger.
    Sure I know a wool blanket is heavy when it's wet but it will still keep you warm when wet. I wasn't thinking of spreading blanket completely out and using that way. That would make it too thin. I was speaking of doubling it up and folding to about the size of a pad and then lying on top of it like you would with a pad. I don't mind the weight of a wool blanket since it's weight versus rate ratio is very good. A wool blanket is one of my favorite pieces of kit for these reasons.
    Versatility of a foam pad:
    It will insulate when wet because a ccf pad will not hold moisture.
    You can make a pad into a pack, just not like a blanket.
    You can use it as a windbreak, a sit pad, and if you have to go to ground, it is going to be a lot more comfortable than laying on a blanket.
    I don't know what kind of wool blanket you are using, but I have found wool to be a poor tinder. That's one of the things that I like about wool. It's better around fire. Foam, on the other hand, burns just fine. Stinky,though.
    If you need emergency protective clothing, I don't see why you couldn't cut a slit in the middle of a pad and wear it like a poncho with a belt around the waist. Goofy looking? Sure. Is it going to be as good as a blanket? No. But it's not useless.

As I said, I like wool. If you want to use a wool blanket as part of your hammock camping kit, why not try to use it instead of a top quilt? I've found that I don't need nearly as much insulation on top as I do underneath. My $.02
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Maybe you could rig it up as and underquilt with couple of tabs sewn on here and here?? I think Supertramp has some wool underquilts.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I think Pedro pointed out some great advantages of CCF. You could also use a CCF pad as a flotation device, fire fan, snow sled, vapor barrier or wind barrier. I think you should try using your wool blanket while at home and while backpacking, I think you will change your opinion quite quickly. There's nothing wrong with using it while car camping or backyard hangs but it's just not something you would want to take backpacking, in my opinion of course. Even folded in half I wouldn't use a wool blanket below 40-45 degrees. Also, as pointed out earlier, if it's windy you will have a cold back unless you have a perfectly pitched tarp set up in the perfect spot.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer & ENO Double
    Tarp
    My DIYS
    Insulation
    Felted-wool
    For car camping I use a wool blanket I felted (washed in hot water with soap and squeezed and rubbed. I now have a Pendleton Blanket that is just perfect length for me, I fold it in half, then add a Viet Nam era poncho liner over the top. Under me I use a long sheepskin.
    Heavy, almost waterproof only works for car camping. My pad is lighter and easier to stay on while sleeping.
    I have slept on the ground in cold temperatures (we live east of Alaska) with this set-up, now with my pad, I put the sheepskin on top of the pad. Very nice.
    Another thought the pad is significantly easier to clean.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast