Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The SWT is behind and to the left the guy sitting down. It's kinda dark picture. It's one of the brown or green SWT instead of the gray like I have. I wish I could have gotten a brown or green one. I had been planning on selling my SWT, but I would probably keep it if I could get it in a different color. Anybody wanna trade?

EDIT:

Here's a cropped and lightened version of the pic:
    Last edited by headchange4u; 02-20-2008 at 14:18.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    I will try to find a better picture, when I compressed it for size it lost a lot of clarity and cut out some of the anchor system. Sorry, John

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    No, it's ok. HC4U clarified it quite a bit. Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Still not very clear, but better than the last one.--John
    Attached Images Attached Images

So, I'm assuming the chosen set-up method is to close the doors on the head end and stake the foot end off open enough to allow entrance and exit?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    So, I'm assuming the chosen set-up method is to close the doors on the head end and stake the foot end off open enough to allow entrance and exit?
    You can also stake out both ends as shown. You do have to be able to easily attach and unattach a tie-out loop to a stake, from the inside. Works when your stakes have heads on them that are a little bit wider than the stake shaft.

Grizz

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    It's actually pretty easy to enter and exit from under the tarp with the doors closed. You just push open the slit the doors form and just step through. I remember seeing a pic somewhere of Youngblood demonstrating this.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    It's actually pretty easy to enter and exit from under the tarp with the doors closed. You just push open the slit the doors form and just step through.
    Does the wind also enter and exit in this manner?

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Does the wind also enter and exit in this manner?
    The ends close up enough that they would block almost all the air coming at them, especially if you set the tarp up perpendicular to the wind. If the wind was blowing directly at the ends, air could get through. I have thought about putting Velcro/Omni tape on the end of my SWT to completely seal things up on the ends.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    My concept was to allow you to relatively easily set it up in a variety of ways. If I am trying to block wind I usually set it up with the ends partially closed and then close off an end if the wind comes directly from that end; in that case I use the partially closed end for entry/exit. If I end up closing off both ends then I open and close the inside flap as Grizz suggested... I use stakes with shepard hooks. It is more difficult to deal with opening and closing when you are on the inside and that is the reason I use the inside flap. I had not thought of using John's scheme with a log.

One of the photos I attached show how I set it up on a side slope at Wood's Hole Shelter with it more open since I was on the leeward side of the slope when I set it up. The other photo is on the summit of Springer Mountain where I was getting some broadside wind and was afraid I would get more during the evening. During the evening I was at Wood's Hole Shelter the wind shifted 180 degrees but it wasn't very cold and I didn't notice the wind getting a direct shot at me through the ends of the tarp. I stayed put all night and didn't readjust anything that time.

I have had some nights where the wind changed and I had to get up and move a couple of stakes to close of the appropriate end on the tarp. I had to do that on Springer Mountain on NYE when the wind changed on me but I didn't take any photos of my setup on that trip. With the ends closed you have less volume under the tarp and in still air you will have more difficulty getting enough ventilation to carry the moist air you are generating out from underneath the tarp before it condenses on the inside of the tarp. Closed ends have some tradeoffs in terms of inside volume, condensation build up in still air, and easy entrance/exit... it is not a no-brainer that you always want the ends totally closed off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Youngblood; 02-21-2008 at 11:58.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast