Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Down for DIY UQ?

Howdy, I'm looking on Craigslist for gear with down in it to try to make an UQ. I found this jacket size L, for $20. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
    It's says its 60% down, 40% feathers. Would this make good filler? If not, what should I be looking for?
    Thx!
    Mike

for 20 bucks you could get 3 oz of +850 down from wilderness logics. Buying down for an underquilt should be 90+% down. I just made my gf an underquilt that was 46x62 with 9 oz of down in it. I bought the shell from underquilts.com The whole project cost me $115 all I had to do was stuff the down sew one hem and make a suspension. Pretty simple project and way better than trying to salvage down from coats.

-Loki
    Last edited by lokbot; 05-16-2013 at 09:57. Reason: cause I'm a dumb dumb...

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by lokbot View Post
    for 20 bucks you could get 3 lbs of +850 down from wilderness logics.
    -Loki
    I think you mean 3 oz, not 3 lbs.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebugdawn View Post
    I think you mean 3 oz, not 3 lbs.
    Yeah, if that was 3 lbs...well, "It's a-time ta start hoardin', boys!"

Still, WL is one of the better-priced sources for down around.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great info, thank you Loki. If I order a shell from underquilts.com will it come with something that tells me how much down I need for whatever temp I want? Thx.

http://underquilts.com/how-to-finish-your-uq/

there are some tables that show how much down you need for different temps. 30% over fill is what most people recommend.

-Loki

What do you think about the pre made underquilt. I'm really interested.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Great Thank you! Those prices seem very reasonable. I have 0 experience with sewing, but I just bought an older singer and figure this might be a good project to learn on. Does anyone know of any good online tutorials for the a VERY beginner on sewing and useing a sewing machine? Im sure there is stuff on youtube, but i thought maybe some of you found one that was helpful when starting out. Thx!

The pre made quilt shell was easy to fill. Since it was going to be 8.5 oz of down and it had 9 baffles I just stuffed an ounce of down in each baffle and pinned it shut. The hardest parts where making the darts straight for the baffles, but after three of them I had it figured out.

For starter projects I'd recommend stuff sacks, gathered end hammock, and maybe a tarp once you feel more comfortable.

-Loki

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjprohoroff View Post
    Howdy, I'm looking on Craigslist for gear with down in it to try to make an UQ. I found this jacket size L, for $20. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...w_bottom_links
    It's says its 60% down, 40% feathers. Would this make good filler? If not, what should I be looking for?
    Thx!
    Mike
    75% down 25% feathers = ~550 FP, so that jacket (60% down 40% feather) would be less than 550 FP. I'd estimate ~400 FP or so. Personally I'd advise 550 as a bare minimum. 550 being the least expensive and requiring more (weight) for an equal insulative value , all the way up to more expensive and lightest 950 FP(95% down 5% feather).

Lots of great vendors to purchase from. More expensive, but in return you get service, easy to use prepackaging, save time and know you're getting a quality down.

Alternatives include coats, pillows, blankets etc. Cheaper, but more labor intensive. Also there's the unknown quality of the down (is it really what they advertise?) Lots of threads here in DIY to give you something to think about.

To me a pillow seemed like the easiest alternative. All I needed to do was weigh the down as I pulled it out. I used a My Luxe pillow (has been used in a lot of projects here at HF) and it had very good down (800FP). A recent thread had kmart down pillows as well. Any reputable bedding suppliers pillows should be what they advertise - but you never know.

A few of the Pros/Cons to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Mjprohoroff View Post
    I have 0 experience with sewing, but I just bought an older singer and figure this might be a good project to learn on. Does anyone know of any good online tutorials for the a VERY beginner on sewing and useing a sewing machine? Im sure there is stuff on youtube, but i thought maybe some of you found one that was helpful when starting out. Thx!
    By Ramblinrev - great stuff!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ead.php?t=6802
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

• + New Posts