Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    I am not only more comfortable using a sleeping pad in a hammock, I find it almost impossible to sleep comfortably without one.

1) I'm a side sleeper who is somewhat claustrophobic...I hate feeling netting on my face or hammock material wrapped around my head...I tried, really tried, over many years to NOT use a pad but I just don't sleep well without one...

2) I am a cold sleeper...the only way I am warm enough on the bottom without a sleeping pad is when it's too warm for me to sleep in a hammock...like when we have 80-90F degree nights...

3) I have a childhood paranoia of things attacking me from below...pad solves that...

4) I now use an Exped downmat 7 long in colder weather and the short in warmer weather...more comfortable when it's warmer than my old Thermarest was...

We all have different comfort levels...if you can get away without a pad, more power to ya...I wish I could...who wants to lug around that extra weight!

Images
    Wow, MH, that is the most "pro-pad" comment I have yet seen! Like you say, every one is different. Though I have found one or two ways in which pads actually seemed to increase my comfort levels, I still lean towards the "overall more comfy without" end of the spectrum.

But opposite of you, I have thought of the pad users as being the lucky ones, if they can be comfortable. You mention the extra weight, but what about the weight of UQs, and then some folks seem to struggle at 30* even then. And you don't have to worry about water vs. down, nor do you have to worry about going to ground ( ), you are all set. Now some may not ever hike any place where having to go to ground is even a remote possibility. But for those who do, if they don't carry a pad in addition to their UQ, they are in a royal mess if they should be forced to ground. But not you, you are good to go either way!

The places I go, even though I have seldom been forced to ground, I can't imagine being brave enough to go without a pad. Actually, so far on my trips 15-20 miles (or more) into wilderness areas out west, I have been on the ground 2 nights out of 12. And one of those was first night ever in a hammock when I was freezing, that's not likely to happen again, though possible. So that would still be one out of 12. But that one night would have been horrendous with out a pad. I mean, really, can you imagine spending a night on uneven or rocky ground above timberline, or below where the roots are, with out a pad?

So it is well worth the extra bulk/weight for me. But I sleep great in my SS or PeaPod without a pad, so for me it is only extra weight/bulk as back up for ground use. But for you, it is not "extra", it is just "instead of" the weight and expense of a down UQ or it's equivalent.

And though I do great, even in extreme cold, in my PeaPod or SS, the ease of pad use in the Claytor No Net has me rethinking a pad only approach for when I am doing long trips at high altitude. Because, since I am going to carry a pad anyway as backup, a pad only approach is definitely the lighter approach, and also more bomb proof, with no worries about moisture. We will see what I actually decide next September! Last year I was about to make the same pad/spe only decision, but at the last minute went back to my SS with pad as backup. But, that is because I decided a pad/spe in my HH was just not as comfortable as my SS. But, the comfort level dif is not nearly as great when I am using a pad with the Claytor.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-08-2008 at 12:49.

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    But opposite of you, I have thought of the pad users as being the lucky ones, if they can be comfortable. You mention the extra weight, but what about the weight of UQs, and then some folks seem to struggle at 30* even then. And you don't have to worry about water vs. down, nor do you have to worry about going to ground ( ), you are all set. Now some may not ever hike any place where having to go to ground is even a remote possibility. But for those who do, if they don't carry a pad in addition to their UQ, they are in a royal mess if they should be forced to ground. But not you, you are good to go either way!
    That pretty much sums up what I think... I suppose you could gather duff into a heap to sleep on, but who really wants to do that if they don't have to?
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm pretty much in line w/ what maraharihiker said... i just don't sleep as well w/o a air mat.
    i've experimented (again recently) w/o a mat because it would be nice to not have to inflate & un-inflate it each night on the trail, but it's like a little slice of Heaven getting back on the air mat.
    the tightly stretched hammock is just a little to firm for once broken ribs, etc<G>.

ccf just doesn't do it for me & a thermarest isn't much better. the thicker, insulated air mats are the ticket.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    Golite Cave 2 tarp
    Insulation
    Exped downmat 7
    Wow, BillyBob58....I never thought about the necessity of carrying a pad in case you had to camp in a place without trees...I now feel better about lugging around my pad

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    I started out using a Wal Mart pad in a SPE in my hammock and found it to be less comfortable than without it. Since then I have modified my sleeping bag so the hammock strings through it and now use the pad on cold nites underneath between the sleeping bag and the underside of the hammock. The first few times I tried it I was conceerned if condensation would be an issue but so far it has not. The pad has slits cut in it to allow for folding as part of the frame for my G4 pack so on hikes I always have it with me. Have not had to go to ground yet but would have it if needed. Not sure if the slits have anything to do with no condensation or not but may contribute to none.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GREEN THERAPY View Post
    I started out using a Wal Mart pad in a SPE in my hammock and found it to be less comfortable than without it. Since then I have modified my sleeping bag so the hammock strings through it and now use the pad on cold nites underneath between the sleeping bag and the underside of the hammock. The first few times I tried it I was conceerned if condensation would be an issue but so far it has not. The pad has slits cut in it to allow for folding as part of the frame for my G4 pack so on hikes I always have it with me. Have not had to go to ground yet but would have it if needed. Not sure if the slits have anything to do with no condensation or not but may contribute to none.
    Oh Yeah, a "PeaPod" style approach with pad under the hammock! That's what my friend from NC does with his 55* Speer PeaPod. It immediately became his favorite way to stay warm.

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Mine too as there is not any need to go beyond purchasing a sleeping bag, a 9 dollar Wall Mart pad and a simple modification. I have been putting off doing it to my other down filled bag which is lighter than the Army Surplus one, but think the time to modify is here. Will add some short zippers to close up the slits I cut so it can be used as a go to ground bag again. Just in case
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

Hi BillyBob

Just thought I might as well throw in my 2 cents worth as well.
    I prefer using my Thermarest prolite4 large (great mat) in both my HH and toploader.
    I find the mat flattens the hammock out and gives me a better sleeping position.
    I usually let it self inflate and adjust the pressure by letting some air out when laying on it. This causes the mat to curl around my shoulders and provide insulation in this area.
    I have even tried putting the mat inside with me in my Montbell superstretch bag. This seemed to work well too but have found that I prefer to use the bag as a quilt when hammocking. I don't seem to move much when sleeping or end up chasing the mat around in the hammock.
    ...just my 2 cents worth...
    Do one thing every day that scares you!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    My very first night in my hammock I used the Walmart CCF and my Ray Way (Alpine version) and did not freeze in near-freezing temps. I can't say I slept well as the pad felt cold (not really cold, just not warm) and I forgot my nice fuzzy toque to keep my head warm, but I was otherwise comfy. I expect the climashield underquilt I'm making ( my concession to the budget - I wanted down ) will improve matters appreciably. Of course, by then it will be May, and not so likely to dip so far down the thermometer, but maybe I'll try leaving the pad out and see what happens.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast