Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images

DIY Hammock Depoying Overseas...

So my brother in law is deploying to Afghanistan soon and I decided he might enjoy a simple gathered end hammock to take along for those times when he may get a little R&R. Not being a soldier myself I am not sure if he will get a chance to use this much or not but what do they say, its the thought that counts.

Since he is not a hammock hanger and doesn't know about all our multitude of suspensions and hammock gadgets, etc... I decided the hammock should be ultra simple for a noob to use. For that reason I chose to use straps and cinch buckles w/ biners at the trees. Even though the Army has gone to a digital camo I thought a retro woodland camo would be nice. I used a single layer 1.9 oz ripstop and the final product comes in at 22 oz incl suspension & the double ended stuff sack.

I know I have seen pics of some of our HF soldiers hanging in their hammocks while deployed so if you've got one handy post it here and I'll share it with my brother in law so he knows he's not alone. Also, curious what hanging conditions will be like for him when he's not out in the field, so anyone that's been there done that please share.

Thanks

Last edited by GvilleDave; 04-16-2011 at 09:24.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Hooah...good for you. I know he'll appreciate it. I'm heading to Iraq this summer and am torn between taking my beloved WBBB or a SB Pro. With the drawdown in Iraq, I'm told our conditions could become very austere before we finally head home, so I'm leaning toward the WBBB just for the comfort.

Not trying to hijack your thread, but I'm sure your BIL will appreciate an alternative to sleeping on a cot.

BTW, the woodland camo is much better than the Army ACU pattern...unless your trying to hide in a gravel parking lot.
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    WBRR dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Shopping
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie\SLS
    Images
    Never been there or done that, just a shout out to your brother. Thanks for your service and godspeed when you deploy.
    I think that I shall never see
    A poem as lovely as a tree.... Joyce Kilmer "Trees"

• + New Posts