WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

The Shangri La tarp...

A few weeks ago I got a Shangri La and a Toxaway tarp from Paul and, of course, set them up within hours of the USPS Santa delivering. My initial concern was the Shangri La might not offer enough coverage in heavy and wind blown rain. The plan was to lean on the Toxaway for sure protection as this is a substantial tarp (quality and design wise).

Yesterday I set up the backyard lab to see just how well the Shangri La would fare...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=31742

My report is that baring cold wind, that needs the Toxaway longer sides to block, the Shangri La performed well beyond my expectations! This is a light weight low bulk tarp that I would take pretty much anywhere on my moto camping and frankly if it rains bad enough to get past this tarp (if well positioned) I might find a motel instead of trees.

Extended distance and time moto trips (like Alaska) will mean the Toxaway but combined they still pack much smaller (like half the space, a big deal with moto camping) than my Kelty 12x12 and I might take them both. Another well made set of products from AHE and I am pleased with both!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly

Thumbs up

I have a Shangri La tarp and it's awesome!

I normally go without a tarp because I don't want to obscure my view of the moon and stars, but I keep my Shangri La at the ready. It's very light, packs small, offers plenty of coverage, pulls nice and tight, and just looks so darn cool when deployed!

5 stars for a great little tarp that rarely gets any attention.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I saw your post when you got yours and that was a big part of why it got ordered. Well that and moto hanging with the Kelty 12x12...trying to get all my needed gear on the bike. I expected these tarps to be lighter and somewhat smaller but boy was surprised at the actual size. Light? Well I am going to use Nite-ize bungies to suspend them (dual use in the moto world) so light is not that big of an issue, though it sure seems like a feather to me.

I got one of the last of the green ones and had Mountaingoat make me some Skeeter net tarp tubes to go with it. That way I can get it all set up for starry nights or stormy ones. So much for getting in on the hammocking deal on the cheap.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-18-2011 at 13:23.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I use Stu's single line tarp ridgeline and tarp lines from whoopieslings.com and have to say it all works like a champ. I put the head end of the Shangri La at the end of the line that has the NiteIze KnotBone so I always know which way to hang it. Sure makes it easy to adjust! I also keep the tarp wrapped in some HH Snakeskins for easy deployment and/or storage.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I have a Shangri La and love it as well, great little tarp. I too use a Knot Bone at the head end to ease in the setup. Knot bone at one end and a Tarp Fly at the other on my Zing It ridge line. Really nice setup.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Small disclaimer;

I have no financial interrest in AHE at all. The only benifit I get is Paul gets my gear to me very fast (much faster than for y'all I bet) for saying nice things about his gear. I have yet to wait even two weeks. He also answers my inane questions via PM etc. Y'all have to wait a long time to get your stuff and Paul prolly does not return your PMs either. Say good things about him and all that will change for the better.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Small disclaimer;

I have no financial interrest in AHE at all. The only benifit I get is Paul gets my gear to me very fast (much faster than for y'all I bet) for saying nice things about his gear. I have yet to wait even two weeks. He also answers my inane questions via PM etc. Y'all have to wait a long time to get your stuff and Paul prolly does not return your PMs either. Say good things about him and all that will change for the better.
    Hate to burst your bubble, bt Paul must really like me too. He never takes more than a few days to ship me an item....and I think he wraps each one personally.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Y'all have to wait a long time to get your stuff and Paul prolly does not return your PMs either. Say good things about him and all that will change for the better.
    I will try that and add a pic of the Shangri La tarp for good measure. (He is holding my order hostage right now. It is going to be a long couple weeks waiting for material to come in.)

I took some gear out for a test drive a week ago and the tarp setup low did well to block the 35-40mph winds that were coming off the water. I am really diggin' this tarp. The wider head end makes getting in and out easier even with the hammock tied out and the tarp just above the ridge line.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by aboyd View Post
    Hate to burst your bubble, bt Paul must really like me too. He never takes more than a few days to ship me an item....and I think he wraps each one personally.
    It's prolly just you and me then...don't tell Muse.

Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I took some gear out for a test drive a week ago and the tarp setup low did well to block the 35-40mph winds that were coming off the water. I am really diggin' this tarp. The wider head end makes getting in and out easier even with the hammock tied out and the tarp just above the ridge line.
    Did you test it in the front porch mode?

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Did you test it in the front porch mode?
    I didn't get any pics of that on this trip, but yes I did. I also used my trekking poles on the foot end and hung my gear hammock between them. I think I like that setup to keep my gear out of the way the best for now. Next trip I will try something else I'm sure...
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast