Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Amsteel as Tarp suspension?

As in the stuff that WhoOpies are made from.
    For reasons of my own, my WhoOpies are "retired" AND after the rain at the Hoosier Hang last weekend, I am over using Paracord as the ridgeline suspension, cause I'm tired of having to adjust the D**n stuff as often as 4 - 5 times a night (So about 9 times Friday & Saturday ).

Now to my question: is a Whoopie TOO strong to use on a tarp? I Know that the paracord gives / stretches some so to my mind allows for tree movement without damaging the tarp. Ive had as much tree movement as 8" from EACH tree (Up on Mt Rogers) & I would hate to have my tarp get torn because I'm too lazy / tired (etc.) to re-adjust my tarp suspension.

So, what is your experience or even opinion? Am I being overly paranoid & this is a good idea? Or am I looking at buying a new tarp after the next heavy wind?

Tarp is sil nylon & has a pretty good length (over 13') that I suppose would allow the tarp to stretch. The line is (will be) held in place with 2 small figure 9s, I probably will not use a full length ridgeline for the tarp.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Amsteel is more than you need. Nothing wrong with using it for a tarp ridgeline but there are other options. I use Dynaglide for my continuous ridgeline. Its strong and doesn't stretch. Zing it or Lash it is even lighter.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I use Dynaglide as well. It is actually lighter than Zing-It or Lash-It (1.6 oz/100ft for Dynaglide vs. 1.92oz/100ft for Zing-It or Lash-It).

Amsteel could be used but once again is overkill (and weighs 4.8oz/100ft).

Whoopies, also, will not work to get a taught pitch. They work well adjusting when not loaded, but will not adjust under load nor can you really rake down on them to get them super taught.

You don't need the ridgeline to stretch so any no-stretch cordage will work.

Moral of the story, Amsteel will work and won't leave you with a ripped tarp, but so will other lighter options and whoopies work great for adjusting your hammock but will not work to tighten your ridgeline.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    I have plenty of 7/64 from the group buy in black and orange. Let me know if you need a couple hanks. Also I have some red zing it if ya need some.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    I have plenty of 7/64 from the group buy in black and orange. Let me know if you need a couple hanks. Also I have some red zing it if ya need some.
    PM sent. Thanks Mike!!

BTW, I wasn't going to hang the tarp from an actual Whoopie, I was going to,,,,,,,,, Recycle it & adjust by use of the 2 figure 9s that are permanently attached to the tarp.

Thanks for everyone's help! I wasn't much worried about the weight, the Amsteel is about the same as wet Paracord, so,,,,,,,,

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Update

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    OK: I have Received the cord from Mike & put it to use twice in the back yard.
    WOW!!!!
    This is the first time in 2 years that I got my 13.5' x 10' tarp up taut. It usually sags quite a bit AND I can't get the sides tight, there are ALWAYS wrinkles. I thought it was just something I'd have to live with having a tarp without cat cuts, I was so wrong. The last time I set up was in the rain, which is "Sag City" when using Para Cord, this time I got it up & tight in short order.
    A surprising bonus is it goes up faster. Not just a little faster, but A LOT faster. No, I didn't time it, but it is so noticeable I don't need to time it to know that the tarp went up in about 3/4 the "normal" time (with paracord).
    I have no answer for this bonus, it just is, at least for me. And it happened BOTH times.

Thanks again HamMike!!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    OK: I have Received the cord from Mike & put it to use twice in the back yard.
    WOW!!!!
    This is the first time in 2 years that I got my 13.5' x 10' tarp up taut. It usually sags quite a bit AND I can't get the sides tight, there are ALWAYS wrinkles. I thought it was just something I'd have to live with having a tarp without cat cuts, I was so wrong. The last time I set up was in the rain, which is "Sag City" when using Para Cord, this time I got it up & tight in short order.
    A surprising bonus is it goes up faster. Not just a little faster, but A LOT faster. No, I didn't time it, but it is so noticeable I don't need to time it to know that the tarp went up in about 3/4 the "normal" time (with paracord).
    I have no answer for this bonus, it just is, at least for me. And it happened BOTH times.

Thanks again HamMike!!
    This is great to hear! Just ordered 50 ft of 7/65" AmSteel to make some Whoopies and most likely use as a ridgeline. Glad to hear it worked well rather than not!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was just getting ready to try whoopie slings for my tarp! I understand why they might not be the best for getting super taut. But for the hammock tarp (as opposed to a cooking tarp,etc.) I thought that you wanted to hang the tarp's ridge line with slight give so that when you stake out the tarp it gets pulled taut. Am I wrong on that?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I was just getting ready to try whoopie slings for my tarp! I understand why they might not be the best for getting super taut. But for the hammock tarp (as opposed to a cooking tarp,etc.) I thought that you wanted to hang the tarp's ridge line with slight give so that when you stake out the tarp it gets pulled taut. Am I wrong on that?
    I've always tied my tarp ridgeline taught but I'll have to try a little slack.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The way you describe is actually the way I do hang mine but many others hang theirs the "traditional way" as illustrated in the side view by Dejoha. A whoopie would not work for these purposes.

I find it easier to get the height adjusted with actually hanging it slack like Brandon demonstrates then tensioning the guyouts to bring everything taught. You can move the height of your hammock much easier this way IMHO - higher off your hammock: loosen your tieouts and tighten your ridgeline. Lower to your hammock: loosen the ridgeline and tighten your tieouts. Although I don't use a whoopie, it would work in this formation.

YMMV-HYOH
    Last edited by Tendertoe; 04-18-2011 at 18:36.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast