WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    Baby Orca, Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing

Insultex vs Climashield

I'm somewhat familiar with IX and its potential use as an UQ. Lately, I've been searching for a new TQ and I came across a hybrid down + climashield model.

http://leighlounderquilts.webs.com/topquilts.htm

I don't have much knowledge of climashield. What do younzes know about the following topics:
    - IX versus climashield weight
    - packability and compressibility
    - vapor barrier properties
    - use as a TQ

Thanks!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I own a double layer IX top quilt and a 1s climashield top quilt. Very comparable setups.

1. The IX tears super easily. You have to be extremely careful. It's like toilet paper, seriously. It also doesnt breath at all. Within 10 minutes you can feel the dampness in a footbox.

2. The climashield seems to breath much better and seems more durable. Doesn't pack down as small but I liked it better and used it over the IX.

3. For a top quilt, you can't beat down. Climashield and IX feel wierd laying on you. I find them better suited for UQs. Down feels soooo much better to me now that I've tried all three. I have a JRB Stealth and would recommend it to you.

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    I own a double layer IX top quilt and a 1s climashield top quilt. Very comparable setups.

1. The IX tears super easily. You have to be extremely careful. It's like toilet paper, seriously. It also doesnt breath at all. Within 10 minutes you can feel the dampness in a footbox.

2. The climashield seems to breath much better and seems more durable. Doesn't pack down as small but I liked it better and used it over the IX.

3. For a top quilt, you can't beat down. Climashield and IX feel wierd laying on you. I find them better suited for UQs. Down feels soooo much better to me now that I've tried all three. I have a JRB Stealth and would recommend it to you.
    You might be confusing IX for the polyethylene foam that is becoming more popular. IX has 2 layers of scrim sandwiching the poly foam which makes it fairly durable. MacEntyre makes/made his IX quilts with out any type of nylon fabric covering or reinforcement. I made a quilt from IX and climasheild and the IX was very easy to work with and was very tough (although you don't want to run it thru the dryer).

You do have to get the fit just right with IX whereas Climasheild is a little more forgiving in that arena.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenwing View Post
    You might be confusing IX for the polyethylene foam that is becoming more popular. IX has 2 layers of scrim sandwiching the poly foam which makes it fairly durable. MacEntyre makes/made his IX quilts with out any type of nylon fabric covering or reinforcement. I made a quilt from IX and climasheild and the IX was very easy to work with and was very tough (although you don't want to run it thru the dryer).

You do have to get the fit just right with IX whereas Climasheild is a little more forgiving in that arena.
    Ditto what Chickenwing says: IX is a breeze to work with. I just finished a double layer "French Toast" IX TQ. It's fantastic! It has survived the brutality tests that I have put it through with flying colors (as well as being unbelievably warm). The scrim which is attached to both sides of the foam is tough as nails.

PE foam (the core of IX), by itself, is what I would call very skiddish material. It does tend to tear easily, but it makes a fabuloso super warm and super cheap UQ, or when combined with a layer of mylar, a **** fine pad.

Get some!

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    depends on the thickness of the pe foam thicker is tougher
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    HH backpack UL
    Tarp
    Stock HH tarp
    Insulation
    Looking to make...
    great info here gents. If you were about to make an under-quilt and on the fence between IX and CS (2.5 or 5oz), what factors would sway you one way or another?

• + New Posts