Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Two nights out with my city slicker dog.

My best friend is my 130 pound female Akita named Sasha.

I sleep out in my hammock under the porch in my back yard quite often and when I do my dog loves it. She likes it the best when I lay closer to the ground and she presses up against me in the hammock when she lays underneath me. She'll stay there all night and occasionally give me a nudge with her nose and take a few short raspy inhalations to make sure I'm still there. I'll give her a "hi baby girl" and she goes right back to sleep.

Well I decided it would be good for the two of us to get some 'wild time' out doors. So the two of us packed up and got ready. Dad dropped us off on his way to work in the morning. We hiked out from the main campgrounds into the 'back country' far away from people as we could get. I set up camp and put her on a twenty foot lead.

She spent most of the time smelling around the ground trying to find where that squirrel had been I suppose. Once I got the tarp up and she recognised it she started prancing around underneath it wagging her tail like "hey I know what this is!" With the tarp set up I went and filtered some water for her and I. Had to do some surgery on the pump even though it worked fine at home. Sasha watched me intently from the security of the tarp like an Egyptian princess "Peon, I am thirsty, hurry up and fetch me my water."

We did some exploring and played tag. I ran a few off-the-leash drills with her, which she didn't seem to interested in doing. Around 2 or 3 in the afternoon we made our way back to camp for lunch. I had brought along some dehydrated stew fixin's which I let simmer for a good while. By the time it was done cooking both of us were drooling . Mixed up her kibble with some stew and I had to eat mine right out of the bowl with no utensiles (I knew I forgot something when I was packing).

For being one of the three largest animals out there (here in Eastern Nebraska) she sure acted like she was one of the meekest when night started to fall. I was afraid she'd try to run off in the night so I leashed her up the first night. Then I was afraid she'd get startled and wrapped up and tangled. I didn't sleep too deeply and she was right there under me all night long and occasionally checked on me with her nose.

The second day was dreery and misty with light rain. So we pretty much agreed to stay under the tarp and relax all day. I kept her on her 20' lead and she took up residence at different corners under the tarp to keep a watchful eye. We played a game of 5 foot fetch until I sent the stick out into the rain, which caused me to get an evil glare as if to say "you go get it dummy"

The second night I let her loose off the leash and she stayed right with me. she got up to investigate something but she stayed under the tarp. I think a rabbit or possum came a bit too close for her comfort . She let out a muffled "woof" snorted a few times and then spent the next three minutes spinning circles and bumping into the hammock trying to get comfy again. Just when she found the right mix I chuckled and she started smelling me and poking me and wagging her tail since I was up. Took her another three minutes or so of spinning to lay back down

The following day dad was supposed to pick us up after work. So we spent the day wandering around in the touristy areas checking out the people and sights. We went back to camp and had a late lunch and relaxed, I read a book and she watched squirrels. All of a sudden her ears perked up. her eyes were fixated in the distance and she started spinning in circles whining and whimpering like a baby. Not five seconds later my cell phone starts ringing, "hi dad, sasha's whimpering to see you." "you're kidding I just pulled into the park" dang does this dog have good ears.

in all everything went great. My gear selection panned out (save for the lack of utensils), stood up to the elements just fine and everything seemed to do well. Sasha had a great time, but man oh man can you tell she's a city slicker pampered pooch.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Great report. Sounds like you two had a lot of fun, but we need pictures.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Quote Originally Posted by swampfox View Post
    Great report. Sounds like you two had a lot of fun, but we need pictures.
    Yeah that's another piece of gear I forgot. Rather I didn't have the batteries for. The only functioning camera I have is a Canon XTi, with a few $$$ lenses I'm not ready enough to put at risk camping.

There was a shot I wish I would have taken the camera for. It was in the evening on the second day after it had cleared up enough for a little walk to stretch the legs. we were climbing a hill , she went ahead and was standing on a rock looking off in the distance with the classic akita stance, the sky was that wonderful gold color with streaks of light, and from my vantage point halfway down the hill it would have been one hell of a shot. But oh well

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    The only functioning camera I have is a Canon XTi, with a few $$$ lenses I'm not ready enough to put at risk camping.
    Yep, I hear you there. Thats why I got a small Canon (A1100IS). Can do great things with them. But at least you have the pictures in your head. Nice report, tnx for sharing.

Hammock
    Hennessey Safari
    Tarp
    Vertex by Clark
    Insulation
    DOWN & lots of it
    Suspension
    arrowhead's setup
    Images
    Camera and lenses can set you back a bunch so I wanted protection for them. I called my home insurer and added them to the policy I thought it would cost an arm and a leg but it was cheap $15.00 per year for $1500.00 worth of gear. No deductible, no deprecation, fully covered with peace of mind for just $15.00.
    Whether trail or paddle don't you know
    My hammock is the way to go
    There peace and solitude I find
    To ease all troubles from my mind
    Both body and soul revel in delight
    As day surrenders to inky night

Hammock
    WB Blackbird SL 1.7
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Busky2 View Post
    Camera and lenses can set you back a bunch so I wanted protection for them. I called my home insurer and added them to the policy I thought it would cost an arm and a leg but it was cheap $15.00 per year for $1500.00 worth of gear. No deductible, no deprecation, fully covered with peace of mind for just $15.00.
    Just converted from a a P&S digital camera to a dSLR last month. Didn't even think about adding it to my insurance. Will take care of it with my insurance agent tomorrow. Great TIP!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildgene View Post
    Just converted from a a P&S digital camera to a dSLR last month. Didn't even think about adding it to my insurance. Will take care of it with my insurance agent tomorrow. Great TIP!!!
    Yeah, that actually is a good idea. I've invested in some high quality lenses. Mainly doing shoots for friends and family weddings and stuff for cheap and I turn that payment around into another lens

But I just live at home with dad. I'll have to work something out with him cuz I don't have insurance

Sounds like fun. The more I hang out on this site (no pun intended), the more excited I keep getting for camping season to start again.

We've considered bringing my buddy's dog camping with us, but she's a bit too spastic to stay there all night, I think. Might try it this summer... She's a super smart dog, just hyper. (Interestingly enough, her name is Sasha too)

Awesome little story of your trip. Thanks.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Thank you for the break here in the office..........great story!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast