Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    I guess my question to all of you is - why use a sock at all in warm weather? Reduce the weight of a sock and just use the net. I'm still pretty new to this, so what am I missing?
    I was wondering the same thing, but I suppose if the wind is high enough you'd still want something to keep it off of you. If not, you'd still be cold even in warm weather. That's my best guess anyhow.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, but I suppose if the wind is high enough you'd still want something to keep it off of you. If not, you'd still be cold even in warm weather. That's my best guess anyhow.
    but you're already carrying a tarp, why not just block wind with it? however, a ripstop sock would weigh only slightly more than a netting sock, i guess if you start adding velcro in windows and such the weight does go up.

seems the advantage of the sock is that it can trap a few degrees of heat, and block wind. if you have a large tarp, seems the sock would be best only when it was really cold. i have never tried one though, so maybe there are other reasons, like if you have a small tarp. seems like a big tarp would be lighter than a small tarp plus a sock though.

somebody was talking about a tyvek sock recently, i wonder if it would negate the need for a tarp, and it's breathable. But is it breathable enough? maybe the softer kind they make hazmat suits out of. or is it all the same breathability? does it talk about breathability in the definitive tyvek article?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    somebody was talking about a tyvek sock recently, i wonder if it would negate the need for a tarp, and it's breathable. But is it breathable enough? maybe the softer kind they make hazmat suits out of. or is it all the same breathability? does it talk about breathability in the definitive tyvek article?
    I really hate to admit to defeat, but I gave that concept a ride without much luck. Any breeze blows the sock right back onto the hammock and you get that contact condensation everywhere. Plus, it gets 'clamy' inside a tyvek sock, the view sucks, and it seems a lot louder when it rains. I'll stick with my tarps for nice weather, but a sock/tarp combo in the cold does make a pretty big difference in temps; nice and warm.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 02-22-2008 at 00:08. Reason: onto-into, whatever
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I really hate to admit to defeat, but I gave that concept a ride without much luck. Any breeze blows the sock right back onto the hammock and you get that contact condensation everywhere. Plus, it gets 'clamy' inside a tyvek sock, the view sucks, and it seems a lot louder when it rains. I'll stick with my tarps for nice weather, but a sock/tarp combo in the cold does make a pretty big difference in temps; nice and warm.

i guess if there is lots of condensation, it isn't nearly as breathable as 1.1. that is good to know, now i won't feel bad for not trying one.

what about nextec epic or momentum 90? has anyone tried another "no tarp" option? i read about some new "breathable" mylar film. can't remember where. funny how all the waterproof/breathables are barely breathable, if something is barely waterproof, it's called water resistant, not waterproof, they should come up with a new term to describe slightly breathable fabrics, how bout vapor barrier wannabes.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost View Post
    I'm getting ready to make a sock, and am putting windows in it and having the fabric and velcro to close it off it needed. Seems like we are thinking alike here!

I guess my question to all of you is - why use a sock at all in warm weather? Reduce the weight of a sock and just use the net. I'm still pretty new to this, so what am I missing?
    I don't think you're missing anything. It doesn't make much sense to carry a sock in warm weather.

I thought the time to use this (hybrid sock/bugnet) was for cooler weather or fluctuating temps (Spring/Fall), when you don't always need a full sock, just some extra wind protection as well as some bugnetting (and yes, you could just block the wind with your tarp.) It's just an idea.

I think the conditions in which you would use a hybrid sock/bugnet wouldn't present themselves all that often (although who knows? ), and you could get by with any other choice. It's something to try out to see how functional the idea turns out to be.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Eventually, I'm gonna make a sock with a zippered panel on top. Picture a Hennessy SuperShelter, only bigger like a sock. The big hole in the middle will have a zipper around the edge. I'll have a bug net insert and a DWR insert, and maybe even one with DWR at the feet and bug net at the head. I'll just zip in whichever one I feel like for that trip.

Re: skeeter net vs noseeum, I've used both and I can feel a difference. Not life or death different, but there's definitely a difference.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Eventually, I'm gonna make a sock with a zippered panel on top. Picture a Hennessy SuperShelter, only bigger like a sock. The big hole in the middle will have a zipper around the edge. I'll have a bug net insert and a DWR insert, and maybe even one with DWR at the feet and bug net at the head. I'll just zip in whichever one I feel like for that trip.
    Sounds cool. That's sort of what I'm thinking of too. If I can create a stable platform (in your case the SuperShelter idea) to zip on and off of, that would be great.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIYZipper top entry
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon
    Images
    Seems I am not alone in my quest for the super sock design. I have been working on a design for the last couple of months and think I have found what will work for me. I posted some pics of the first attempt a while back and will take some more of what the latest version looks like as well as a few design details. The end goal for me is to have both wind and fog blocked as best I can as well as containment for my sleeping bag that I have modified to slip over the hammock and act as a top and bottom quilt. The style I like is one that has a zipper and is attached by using a length of shock cord wrapped around the hammock suspension line. I slip a cord lock on the shock cord and after 10 or so wraps pull the free end back through the cord lock to hold it in place. So far that has held great with no slippage. The sock it cut to fit the shape of the hammock and has a tuck cut in the bottom and sewed shut to prevent the center portion from hanging too low.
    What I lack in knowledge I MORE than make up for with opinions.
    Green Therapy

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234