Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

10x14 Tarp, too big?

From my canoe camping kit, I have a 10x14 rectangular tarp made from 1.9 oz. Silnylon. The tarp is of excellent quality from CCS (Cooke Custom Sewing). Other than it being a bit on the large size and probably a little heavier than a 1.1 oz 8x8 tarp, is there any drawback to using it?

The fiscal conservative in me prefers to multi-purpose gear as much as possible. Hoping to begin hammock camping in the BWCA. Plenty of trees, plenty of rocky sites, seems like a natural place to use a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    As long as you're comfortable carrying the weight, go for it. I have a Kelty 12 and it's like a 2 bedroom condo. I can use it in "winter" mode (pseudo doors for complete coverage) or "porch" mode during other months. If you pitch it on the diagonal you just need to find trees far enough apart.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparetime View Post
    From my canoe camping kit, I have a 10x14 rectangular tarp made from 1.9 oz. Silnylon. The tarp is of excellent quality from CCS (Cooke Custom Sewing). Other than it being a bit on the large size and probably a little heavier than a 1.1 oz 8x8 tarp, is there any drawback to using it?

The fiscal conservative in me prefers to multi-purpose gear as much as possible. Hoping to begin hammock camping in the BWCA. Plenty of trees, plenty of rocky sites, seems like a natural place to use a hammock.
    A 10' ridgeline with 7' sides does not sound too big to me. My big hammock tarp is 11' x 12'

That's sharp OAB

OP, as far as being managable.. for the most part yes if you're not in thick bush. I carry a 12x14 right now and it's obscene, but I freakin' love the coverage I can get with it. I can help others out with shelter and not impede my own comfort, I can completely enclose (meaning tarp to ground and ends shut off) my hammock and gear.. I know that down doesn't block wind very well and if I get caught in undesirable weather I would like to make sure it stays dry and I stay warm.

Like Syb said, if you dont' mind carrying it, go for it. I'd always rather have and not need than need and not have.. at least with the essentials

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Whoopies-n-Huggers
    No such thing as "too big of a tarp." Ok, maybe if you need like 8 people to set it up.
    We must all learn to live together as brothers--or we will all perish together as fools. MLK

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    You absolutely CAN NOT use that tarp any longer, I don't recommend it at all.

In fact, you must trade me that CCS tarp for my DIY 10'x12', which will be much more appropriate for your situation. Just ignore the fact that the CCS tarp is made MUCH better than mine, has better guyouts, straighter stitching, and is completely bombproof.

Seriously, keep that bit of kit, especially in the BWCA. You'll be just fine. You might consider a smaller/lighter tarp if you decide to do more backpacking, but for canoe camping CCS makes the GREATEST gear!!

In the interest of full disclosure, I live in Lino Lakes, just down the road from CCS, and completely drool over the quality of their stuff....

Yes Rootcause, I agree. CCS is excellent, made in America Stuff. I was planning to get one of their Lean Structures, until stumbling upon hammocks.

Thank you for the replies, sounds like the larger tarp will have added benefits, except for the additional weight of course.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    totally depends on your style sparetime. i use a much, much smaller tarp than that. i personally wouldn't be comfortable carrying that much. everyone rolls differently however, and that is what makes hiking and backpacking so excellent. so here's my recommendation:

use what you have. if you like it as you're using it, then continue to use it. if you don't like it, then simply wait until close to winter and then sell it on here and get yourself a smaller/lighter one from one of the cottage guys.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammock camping in the BWCA and Quetico is GREAT!!! You can certainly make your big tarp work, though a smaller tarp is can be a bit easier to manage overall. I'm still VERY happy with my MaCat Deluxe in SpinnUL. For canoe travel, I can envision taking TWO tarps...a smaller one for the hammock and a big one for kitchen/general community use (especially good if you're with a group).
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Nomad's Land XXL / DD
    Tarp
    DD XL / 3x3
    Insulation
    Mat
    Suspension
    webbing + biners
    My main tarp is 3 metres x 4.5 metres which is a similar I guess. I love how much coverage it gives. In winter you can fashion 'doors' and in warmer weather can have a huge amount on living space. My last camp out I used my tarp to cover my hammock and my friend set his bivi bag underneath me, both covered by the one shelter. If you camp like this it can be lighter than both carrying smaller tarps. Gotta love the big tarps.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast