Seattle - Destination Ideas

I will be in the Seattle area in early May, heading north for a few planned nights in Anacortes. I have a nights free before and a night free after and I am looking for suggestions on where to camp, what to see, what to do.

I’m pretty open to options, haven’t really determined any have to do’s while there. I will have a car to get around. Mostly, I’m trying to cut down on the cost of a hotel room, as it is just me traveling. Can anyone throw some ideas out? I have seen Seattle before, so not too interested in spending much time there.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Take ferry across to the San Juan islands. Lots of places to camp, really great food, even though a bit touristy it's a neat area with lots to see. We have been there twice. I liked Orcas Island the best, most woodsy with some great trails to hike. Check out Moran state park, camping, waterfalls, lookout tower. Best fajita burrito I have ever had was right off the fairy landing in Friday Harbor, really good burger on Lopez at a little hole in the wall. Been a couple years since we went but if you have questions holler.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Take ferry across to the San Juan islands. Lots of places to camp, really great food, even though a bit touristy it's a neat area with lots to see. We have been there twice. I liked Orcas Island the best, most woodsy with some great trails to hike. Check out Moran state park, camping, waterfalls, lookout tower. Best fajita burrito I have ever had was right off the fairy landing in Friday Harbor, really good burger on Lopez at a little hole in the wall. Been a couple years since we went but if you have questions holler.
    How long will you be in Anacortes? There are several good ampgrounds not far from there. Washington State Parks has several on Whidbey island, with Deception Pass State Park being the closes to Anacortes. Fort Ebey is a bit further, but under an hour away.

The city of Anacortes also has a municipal campground o n Fidalgo Island. I have never stayed there, but the photos look nice.

A bit further east, about 2/3rds the way to the I-5 just off SR 20 is Bayview State Park. I have never been there, but if it is like most Washington State Parks in the area, it will be quite nice. The campgrounds I mentioned all have showers, and are fairly close to grocery stores.

If you want backcountry type camping, you can look to both Baker National Forest, with FS roads off SR 20 beetween Marblemount and Newhalem, or further east on SR 20 into North Cascades National Park (gate is still closed at Diablo due to snow accumulation).

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    NeoAir Trekker
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings AIO
    Definitely forget about Seattle! We've got a ton of stuff up north here for you to see

As far as state parks go:

Deception Pass is great for day hikes and camping. Lots to see, beautiful scenery.

Bayview is on Padilla Bay and is also lovely. Different type of scenery.

Greenbank Farm is a little farther down Whidbey Island and is a nice place to visit for the day. PLUS...they have pie in the cafe there

There are, of course, the San Juan Islands. You do need to take a ferry to get to those.

Depending on how far out you're willing to go, there's some great hiking and camping around Baker Lake (Horseshoe Cove Campground is nice). HOWEVER, you'd have to check the forest service website to see when the camp grounds open as some of them might still be covered in snow.

AND, it sounds like you might be here while the Tulip Festival is still going on

Here are a few links for ya:

State parks:
    http://www.parks.wa.gov/

US Forest Service: Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie info:
    http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Home

NW Hikers forum: You can find up-to-date trip reports here: http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/index.php

Washington Trails Association: Also can get trip reports and route suggestions:
    http://www.wta.org/

Greenbank Farm:
    http://greenbankfarm.net/

Tulip Festival info:
    http://www.tulipfestival.org/

San Juan Islands visitor info:
    http://www.visitsanjuans.com/index.cfm

We've got some great stuff up here

Christina
    Don't mess with the Chief's wife!

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End 1.1 Single Layer
    Tarp
    BWD WinterDream
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ & Syn TQ
    Suspension
    2mm Whoopie Slings
    Images
    In addtion to everything Bandanabraids said, I would recommended everything on the Mountain Loop Highway if you want to see great examples of untouched PNW Old Growth forests. You will need a Northwest Forest Pass for overnight parking at the trailheads. Call or stop in at the Verlot Public Service Center for trail condidtions.

Also, you'll probably want to get longer treehuggers. Our trees are pretty big.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk
    Tarp
    Warbonnet
    Insulation
    NeoAir Trekker
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings AIO
    Oh my! Yes....longer treehuggers...LOL! Thank you thomas533

I also forgot to mention...there a lot of really nice hikes along the Hwy 2 corridor going up to Steven's Pass. That area is probably about a 2 hour drive from Anacortes, but still worth it. You should be able to get the info for any of them from the links. The ranger station to look for in that area is the Skykomish Service Center.

They do sell day passes for parking at trailheads for $5 per day so you wouldn't have to buy a yearly NW Forest pass (unless you're coming back throughout the year).

Christina
    Don't mess with the Chief's wife!

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Don't forget about Chuckanut moutain.. lots of trails and good maps over on pnt.com

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Mt. Rainer! Wonderland Trail! Even just a drive to the top is great.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Great stuff. Thank you.

• + New Posts