Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece

Smile Questions from new hammock maker

Hi, all,

I've been lurking here for a while and buying Walmart $1 bin fabric when I find ripstop. I'm not sure whether I have nylon or polyester, but I did measure and weigh it all. My calculations may be a bit off in the length measurement, but width and weight are accurate; however, I think the weight calculation is close enough for my use.

My goal is to make 4 hammocks for me and 3 of my boys who can still go camping/backpacking. I plan to make them 3 yards long, the 2-layer hammocks as in Just Jeff's site so we can use a blue Walmart CCF pad for bottom insulation.

These are the likely candidates in my fabric stash:

(1) Gray ripstop that came out to about 1.85 oz/sq.yd. It's very breathable, didn't even test with water due to its breathability. The grid is 3/16 inch.

(2) Sheer and slippery (but fairly tough) olive ripstop, frays like crazy, very breathable, 1/8 inch grid, no water test as above. It is about 1.2 oz/sq.yd.

Would it make a good sturdy hammock if I used one layer of each of these? Two of my teen boys are at 200 pounds already (and 6 feet tall), and the 10yo will probably wind up being that big, too. I'm (can't believe I'm admitting this) 240 pounds and definitely don't want any of us to end up dumped on the ground due to overloading.

I've also collected several chunks of barely-breathable ripstop weighing 2.3 and 1.2 oz/sq.yd., but from my reading here I've gathered that breathable will be more comfortable when a pad isn't needed.

The sewing won't be a problem. I have experience and I'm currently working on a G4 pack with an added custom bottle holder sized for a 32 oz. Gatorade bottle.

Thanks for any advice y'all can give!

Trudi in FL

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome!
    I think you'd be fine to make the hammock out of the 1.85 and the bottom layer out of the 1.2. You may want to make them a bit longer though, makes them more comfortable. My .02

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I'm 5'8", 230 pounds and I make my hammocks 10.5' long by 60". I use 1.9oz ripstop and I have had no problems, even with my 40 pound boy in the hammock with me, and my 60 ppound girl. It wasn't comfortable with al three of us, but it held perfectly the 330 pounds that was in it. I agree with NCPatrick, on the layering, and making them longer. Have fun, experiment, and find what works best for you and your boys.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY double-bottom
    Tarp
    Sportsman Guide
    Insulation
    Blue pad or fleece
    Cool, thanks! I have 15 yards of the 1.85 oz/sq.yd (approx.) so I have enough to make all 4 of them longer than 3 yards. I only have 12 yards of the 1.2 I listed above, but I have another piece of some funky gray, green, and purple swirly pattern that's about 1.2 for the second layer on the 4th one. That'll have to be for mine, LOL!

Thanks!

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums. Sounds like you have done your research and are on the right track. Compared to a making G4, you'll find making hammocks is about as simple as it gets. Good advice above, good luck with your projects.

• + New Posts