Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underquilt / Overquilt Combo is a Hammock Bag?

Hi All,
    Long time lurker but this is my first post. Got an idea for a minimalist camping bag in which a hammock can be inserted. The result, ideally, is a mummy bag that can be converted with just the addition of two zippers into an OQ/UQ combo.

Starting with a center-zip bag such as the Wiggy's Military bag (he's having a sale right now, 30% off and free shipping BTW) add two zippers: one at the shoulders/head and one near the foot box. The should run horizontal to the lay of the bag and encompass a 90% arc (10 to 15 inches of unzippered expanse around the center zip). Its hard to explain so I made a pic (see pic if i can get it attached).

The problem this tries to solve is the fact that many bring UQ and OQ or an UQ and bag to solve the issue of insulation compression on the back side. Additionally, a full size UQ is somewhat larger than a mummy bag and not as useful as the proposed.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGo...orgeQuilt.html
    note that this is roughly 8-9 feet long but it does velcro together much like the proposed design.

The proposed puts the portion of insulation most in danger of being compressed under the hammock thus keeping it from being compressed. The fact that the bag isn't directly attached to the hammock prevents the stretch of the hammock from putting any compressive forces on the insulation as well. A well sized cut in the bag should kinda squish the hammock a bit without squishing the insulation: making a wind resistant seal between the hammock and UQ portion of the system. The center zip should make it more draft proof than most UQ designs but be just as easy to get in and out of as an UQ setup.

(And if I go with this, it will be with a wiggy's: I want a durable synthetic insulated bag since once sleeping in a wet down bag.)

Does anyone see any potential issues with this system? Has anyone tried this? Is the area of hammock near the nape and feet (crack in the blanket) too cold? Lemme hear the experts talk!

James

PS: I am not worried about sleeping straight instead of angled: feels about the same to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxfyre841; 04-21-2011 at 15:21.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Noah 9
    Insulation
    3S Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wow, that is a very interesting idea... I'm curious to see how it turns out or if anyone else here has tried anything similar...
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived.
    -Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY Tahiti Beach Blanket
    Tarp
    DIY 4-S "Man Cave"
    Insulation
    DIY IX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slang
    Images
    Have you had a look at the Pea pod?

Quote Originally Posted by jspate61 View Post
    Have you had a look at the Pea pod?
    The pea pod is a great design. But it is longer than the proposed, is really only intended for use in the hammock, does not have an integrated head hole (get rid of the moisture!), only comes with goose down which is useless when wet, and is roughly twice the the price of the base starter bag (wiggy's military $160 shipped).

The proposed w/ synthetic, because it is smaller, is only one pound heavier than the pea pod. I believe it also compresses to around 12x18 which looks to be about the same size.

Wiggy's bag: http://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=218

Pea Pod: http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PeaPod.htm

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    NeoAir LT / DIY UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    I wonder if the openings in the bag will be large enough to accommodate a diagonal lay in a comfortably wide hammock.

You may also need to consider attaching some form a abrasion protection between the zippers and the hammock fabric, sort of like draft collars.

I like the outside the box thinking!

Quote Originally Posted by linuxhack View Post
    I wonder if the openings in the bag will be large enough to accommodate a diagonal lay in a comfortably wide hammock.

You may also need to consider attaching some form a abrasion protection between the zippers and the hammock fabric, sort of like draft collars.

I like the outside the box thinking!
    Hi, I'm thinking this will be a straight-on or straight lay hammock instead of diagonal: I've never found D-lay to be that much more comfortable as a good and tight (ie: good should squeeze) straight lay hammock. It's a bit more trial and error to bunch the ends in such a way as to not get the feeling of lying on a strap (tight down the center) but I think it is definitely worth it! I've done this to a double layer hammock that I made two years ago.

You are right about the draft collar though. I'm considering edging the cuts with polypro banding and sewing ykk zippers on the outside of the cut: this way I can make the two edges bunch together when it's zipped back up for use as a normal bag. Additionally, this allows for the use of stretch cord to be inserted into the edging to ensure a tight fit to the hammock undersides.

Keep em comin!

By the way:
    for a 300 pound guy strung at 20 degrees incline, the resultant force along the fiber is 510 lbs in both directions! Man, I hope that 2ply taslan i just ordered from OWF is up to it! OWF doesn't specify the weight for the 2ply but he thinks its the same as his 4ply (4.5 oz). Meanwhile the Rainshed adverts 2ply at 2.5oz. I'll weigh it (food scale) and give it a try once it gets here!

James
    Last edited by foxfyre841; 04-21-2011 at 17:21.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Why not use omnitape & avoid the zipper abrasion altogether?

Quote Originally Posted by jred View Post
    Why not use omnitape & avoid the zipper abrasion altogether?
    Omnitape looks interesting.

I'm thinking that flat plastic ykk zippers should be fine? Am I missing something? I wouldn't think that plastic zippers could pose that much of an issue with regards to hammock damage. Anyone hear anything to the contrary?

Thanks All!
    James

Hammock
    1.7 WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Flamethrower UQ
    I like your concept, especially for military applications.

My only issue is with the choice of sleeping bags. I own a few wiggys, and though they are tough, they are heavy and bulky compared to other options, such as the Kifaru system. But, the wiggys are cheaper. Kifaru may even be able to work with you and custom install your zippers.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I just got the Wiggy's bag...I'd have a tough time taking scissors to it, at least not yet. I'll be watching this project with interest.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast