Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Nice idea.

One of these days I am going to make a tarp that I can close the ends off on. I think I can get by with that inplace of the sock, taking a good amount of weight out.

I have put my rain jacket over my ridgeline over my head before. That made a big difference in warming me up. Beathing warm air and keeping the wind off of my face are the main things I like about the sock anyways.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Today it has been extremely foggy all day long here in Morgantown WV. We get a lot of fog in this area. I've been thinking about using a sock more for keeping my quilts dry when fog rolls in. What do most people use them for? Warmth in extremely cold weather or for fog?

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    very nice i want one!!!!!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Today it has been extremely foggy all day long here in Morgantown WV. We get a lot of fog in this area. I've been thinking about using a sock more for keeping my quilts dry when fog rolls in. What do most people use them for? Warmth in extremely cold weather or for fog?
    Hey,
    I so far have used them only for warmth and wind protection..... I will see about moisture and fog this Spring.
    A Not-Soggy Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think socks/pods will help a bit when a thick fog rolls in b/c it'll condense on the outside of the sock/pod rather than on the underquilt and in the hammock, especially if you also use a tarp to block the first contact.

But for consistent thick fog, I doubt anything will keep you really dry. It's just like any other breathable fabric...there has to be a difference in moisture on either side of the fabric for it to breathe. Once the moisture reaches equilibrium on each side (i.e. it's just as humid outside the sock as it is inside), the fabric will stop passing moisture.

If you put something over your mouth to block the moisture from your breath from going into the sock, you can probably increase the time the sock will protect you quite a bit. Then hope the fog blows through before you start getting wet inside.

In practice, I've experienced very little condensation in my sock, even when I was zipped all the way in side. One time I slept with my 8yo inside the sock, next to a river (Congaree National Park, SC)...it was in the 40s and pretty humid, and condensation wasn't a problem at all.

But this year at Mt Rogers I had A LOT of condensation. I think it was b/c it was so cold outside (low 20s) that the moisture condensed and froze as soon as it hit the fabric, rather than passing through. It was also very humid that night...a freezing fog coated all the trees and made some beautiful pictures so I'm sure that contributed as well. But this makes me reconsider how well a full sock will work in sub-freezing temps. I think better ventilation might be needed, especially right around the head. That's one reason I wanted the zippered style...so I can experiment with different covers in different conditions.

So based on my experience, socks work best in:
    - Dry conditions
    - Windy conditions - to block the wind and so wind can carry away some moisture from the fabric. But this can also work against you b/c, as mentioned above, it can push the wet fabric against you. This probably varies with humidity, how the wind hits your setup, ventilation, etc.
    - Above freezing temps, or at least close enough to freezing that the moisture can pass through the fabric before it condenses/freezes on it.

I've measured ~10F difference in heat retained inside the sock, so I think it has a place in my kit...just gotta figure out how it works with a sub-freezing setup b/c I only have a handful of nights with it in those conditions.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12