Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
    I bought one of the big cones of Gutermann at Joanns, but the stuff is really easy to break with my hands. Too easy it seems to me. I went back and got some Gutermann heavy duty and some upolstery thread, thinking I'll try each. They seem to be exactly the same to me.
    The only cones of gutterman's thread they have at my Joann's is nylon serger overlock thread... not really useful for anything else... maybe that's what you have...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7
    Suspension
    Warbonnet straps
    I did some break tests with an unexpected result. I alternated snapping Gutterman and some Coats & Clark I picked up at Walmart. Both were polyester and I did enough snapping to make my hands sore and use up several yards of each type of thread. The Gutterman has a nicer appearance, smooth and little or any fuzz. The C&C is pretty generic looking and a little fuzzy. However, after snapping a lot of thread I had to come to the conclusion that the plain old generic C&C was slightly stronger than the Gutterman. I think the Gutterman quality control is probably better and there would be less variability between each lot of thread than with the C&C, but I found the results to be very surprising. I really expected the Gutterman to be noticeably stronger and that was not the case.
    "To turn from this increasingly artificial and strangely alien world is to escape from unreality. To return to the timeless world of the mountains, the sea, the forest and the stars is to return to sanity and truth." --Robert Burnham Jr.

Hammock
    DIY "warbird"
    Tarp
    DIY cat cut silnyl
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    The only cones of gutterman's thread they have at my Joann's is nylon serger overlock thread... not really useful for anything else... maybe that's what you have...
    That has to be it. I'm definitely not going to use it. Since I needed to order some sil for a tarp (man these projects are addicting!) I went ahead and played it safe and ordered some Gutermann Mara 70 and Tera 40 from Scott. I think I'll just wait to do any sewing until that arrives.

Hammock
    DIY 1.9 "The Mantis"
    Tarp
    Wal-Mart Special
    Insulation
    RAB Quantum 400E
    Suspension
    Whoopies 'n straps
    Someone needs to try this stuff out...

http://www.countycomm.com/KEVLAR.htm

Oh wait, they also have SPECTRA Sewing Thread too!

http://www.countycomm.com/spectra.htm

It's gotta be good, right?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I have no doubt someone uses kevlar and spectra thread to good advantage. But I don't see the need for it gear making. First off... I don't want to run a rasp through my machine. Why would I want to use thread that is stronger than the materials the tension plates are made out of? Secondly... I am of the opinion that you stitching should be the weakest link in the chain. Please I did not say it should be weak. I said it should be the weakest link. I would rather have a few stitches snap than have the fabric tear out in the back. One you can fix with a small sewing kit. The second... who knows.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12