Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

JustJeffs already referenced.

Great thoughts on including JustJeffs. JustJeffs and Hammock Forums were already referenced a while ago (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hammock_camping). I wanted to add Dutch because he didn't seem to be mentioned there. And IMO the uniqueness of Shug's video series is also worthy of special treatment there. Jeff, Grizz, and Sgt. Rock are all prominent pioneers and contributors, but Shug has become somewhat of a guru (as much about cool factor as it is influence). Think of Jeff, Grizz, and Rock as the founding Fathers and Shug as sort of JFK. I think Shug has already mentioned his work relies heavily on the insights and frameworks provided by Jeff and Grizz.

But if I have time, I'll make sure to drop an article in on them as well.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I'm honored to be thought of as a pioneer but there are some notable names missing from the list, due no doubt to them having better self-control over posting on HF than I have....

Ed Speers. Wrote the book on hammock camping. Literally. Did a solo kayaking trip in Alaska in the 1970's hanging from a hammock (up out of the reach of bears, he says...)

Tom Hennessy. C'mon, you don't have to like him but I think you do need to respect him. Surely responsible for bringing hammock camping closer to main stream than anyone else.

Youngblood. Conceived and designed the first differential cut UQ, the Speer Snugfit. See the impact that insight had on quilt design.

Guy with internet name of "Risk". I was all over his stuff when I was first coming up to speed on this.

The Jacks. With their hammocking quilt business they opened the eyes of many---self included---to a completely different way of camping on the trail.

And these are only the guys I know were active before I started tinkering with hammocks. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I concur with the suggestion you ask before you wikitize. Different folks have different sensitivities w.r.t. privacy.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Asym Xenon
    Suspension
    Whoopies/UHMWPE

Good input Grizzly!

I agree with you on Speer, Hennessey, Risk, et al. My first main hammock was a Hennessey (still have 2 I use). On the Hammock Camping page at Wiki his hammock is featured quite prominently (the only images are of his hammocks). I wonder if it wouldn't be better to add a section there on early pioneers and modern innovators.

As to privacy, I agree with you about checking in with the subjects where possible. In reality, though, most of these individuals are already "public domain" and any information posted there would not be any more revealing than what is already available online elsewhere. In fact, in many ways this would bring greater awareness to their enterprises and efforts. Before anyone gets nervous, my goal here is simply to shed some light on the amazing world of Hammock Camping. But if any of the old(er) guard here are reluctant about the increased exposure, please PM me and I'll respectfully work around you.

In reality, I don't anticipate a huge audience. Sure lots of people use Wikipedia, but not many of them then search for "Hammock Camping Pioneers". And the ones that do, just may buy one of your hammock/sling/hook/tarp/guyline/UQs. But if it makes it easier for the future hammock camping masses, then let's get the party started.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangandy View Post
    I'll check it out. But before I do, you may also want to check out

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thom_Dutch

Dutch is now immortalized!
    Ummm no mention of how easy Dutch is on the eyes (even though Shug does a better Dutch than Dutch)!?

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I do like the Canadian/European diction. "Downpour", "favour", and "presence of a hammock camping pitch is much harder to detect"

I think actually adds a bit of validity, if not distinction.

Tea from the hammock, anyone?

Serously though, I like it.

Of course Hawkeye says I ain't right.
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    Of course Hawkeye says I ain't right.
    Can't believe what he says, he ain't right!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I'm honored to be thought of as a pioneer but there are some notable names missing from the list, due no doubt to them having better self-control over posting on HF than I have....

Ed Speers. Wrote the book on hammock camping. Literally. Did a solo kayaking trip in Alaska in the 1970's hanging from a hammock (up out of the reach of bears, he says...)

Tom Hennessy. C'mon, you don't have to like him but I think you do need to respect him. Surely responsible for bringing hammock camping closer to main stream than anyone else.

Youngblood. Conceived and designed the first differential cut UQ, the Speer Snugfit. See the impact that insight had on quilt design.

Guy with internet name of "Risk". I was all over his stuff when I was first coming up to speed on this.

The Jacks. With their hammocking quilt business they opened the eyes of many---self included---to a completely different way of camping on the trail.

And these are only the guys I know were active before I started tinkering with hammocks. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

I concur with the suggestion you ask before you wikitize. Different folks have different sensitivities w.r.t. privacy.

I couldn't have made a better list. I first had a Hennessey and wanted to learn how to stay warm so I discovered Jeff's site, from there I linked my way to Risk's and HF. Speer and the Jacks are such pioneers and my personal heroes. Warbonnetguy also really inspired me. Not for his line of products, but before he became famous (and very busy). He would chime in with material and rope information, his post were 100% insight into building hammocks. It's a shame he doesn't post like that anymore. I learned DIY because I wanted to be like these people.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123