UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi

Exclamation Thru-Hike Sleep System

So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)

Anyway - I'm considering this:
    Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
    Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
    Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
    *I may consider adding down booties.

With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Images
    I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Hard to explain, but it did not work at all for me. This was in my GT Ultralight. I tested it in a WB Traveler DL and it worked much better. Just a thought. If I were to put a pad in my GT U, it'd be the 1/4" one.

The rest of your set up is almost identical with what I have. Except the GT Ultralight v/s Nano (I'm too big for the Nano). This lightweight package will do you very well, I'm sure.

Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    So I'm leaving for Georgia in 11 months. When I think about the fact that I was originally supposed to be out there right now, I can't help but laugh. But regardless of that, I'm very glad we decided to push it back a year to train more, save more, and gear test more.

I've done a lot of upgrading to my setup with the help I've received here on the forums. I'm waiting on my modified Nano 7 with whoopies and bugsock from Randy "PapaSmurf", and my Zpacks 4 season tarp from Joe, which I found thanks to you guys, and keeps my combined hammock and tarp weight to under a pound. Of all the forums I visit HF.net is by far the most inviting and the most helpful.

Now I'm trying to figure out a sleep system that doesn't involve a different bag for every season (I sleep too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.)

Anyway - I'm considering this:
    Speer PeaPod (20* -- 36 oz)
    Gossamer Gear Thinlight Insulation Pad 1/8" or 3/8" (2.5 oz -- 5.5 oz)
    Sea to Summit Thermalite Reactor (Adds 15* -- 8 oz)
    *I may consider adding down booties.

With this set up I think I'll be keeping things light, warm, and in the summer I can use the peapod as an UQ or send it home for a month or two.

Thoughts? Think it's worth making the investment and testing it?
    From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?

Miguel

Miguel

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi

Talking Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deucalion View Post
    I've used the GG 1/8" pad and find it a pain to lay on top off. It's so thin, it ended up bunched up and malformed by the end of the night. Very hard to keep in place with me directly on top of it. Good luck with the gear testing and prep for an AT Thru. Get out often and test away. Feel confident with what you have, and go for it!!!
    Thanks again Deucalion! I'm thinking about getting the largest one (they say it's for hammocks) and the smallest one. I can try them both out, and I think I can handle the $10 loss if I don't use the 1/8". I can always use it for something else I'm sure

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    From what I just read on their site, the Sea To Summit Reactor increases warmth 25* and weighs 14oz. Could they possibly have two versions and I missed it?
    Yes indeed, the Reactor and the Reactor Extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    Looks to be too warm for all but the southern sections. That should keep you toasty, after that you can send things back. You can always vent until you get tired of carrying the weight.

Wait for a few of the AT Thru's to sound in on this one though. Lots of experience out there.
    My thought was to use it all in the south, and when it got warmer us the ppod as an UQ, and either bounce box the pad or switch it out for the lightest one.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    The 1/8" pad is not easy to work with at all. That all seems like a lot of insulation. What about going with some summer rated quilts. Hammock gears will take you to around 35 degrees, an extra ounce or two in the UQ and I'm sure you could get to 30 degrees. Worse comes to worse if it gets real cold you can just sleep in a shelter with both you UQ and TQ on top. Assuming you'll still have a pad.

Just an idea.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    The 1/4" is much easier to work with.

1/8" is great for 3 season insulation for your legs if you have a partial UQ
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a pretty good collection of the gear used for hammock camping. I also thru'd and I can't imagine a system that is good for GA in March, PA in July, The Whites in Aug, and Maine in Sept.

I guess the best you can do is double up in the beginning and end. You could go with a pad and a thin UQ for the colder months. And lose one of them for the middle. Same thing for the top insulation with 2 thinner TQ.

I would suggest instead you have a cold and warm weather system. Also consider the possibility that you may lay on a hard surface now and then. There are hostels that don't have mattresses and you may even wind up on someones living room floor or God forbid a shelter. I would stretch out my pad and lay in the sun on rocky overhangs to eat lunch. For that I really like the z-lite.

If you still only want one system I would try a 3 season UQ with a half of z-lite pad that can be a torso pad. That way you can move it up to your torso and put your pack under your legs for the real cold nights. Then in the summer you will probably just forgo the pad and loosen the UQ on hot nights.

For a top quilt you will need a 20 degree bag to start with. That could be a good 3 season TQ or 2 summer TQs. I would have to attach them together somehow or one will slip off the other. I'd still suggest a 3 season TQ and something light for summer.

I did SNP to Glencliff with a fleece bag as a TQ and a marmot helium for the beginning and end. I only used a z-rest for the entire trip but that is because my hike predated Under Quilts.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    I'm trying to avoid multiple UQ/Sleeping bags. It's still entirely possible I end up with a few OQ/UQ/Pads, but I'm hoping to avoid that. The PeaPod stands out to me because it's versatile. I can us it as intended, or just as an UQ, and can still be used out of the hammock. I'm considering a Zpacks Blast 32, I could carry the Gossamer Thinlight 3/8" to frame out the pack, and use the reactor as a blanket in the summer.

Is it that you don't think this will work? Will I end up too hot or cold? Just trying to clarify!
    you will be seeing 50 degree nights even in july and the reactor may not be amble coverage, especially if its breezy out. this will put you in a peapod at only 50.

you have 11 month to test gear for 10-85 degree nights at least your not going to be bored.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast