is there any wrong with the way i'm going to hang my hammock?

I feel that every single thread i read about how your going to hang your hammock always involves a carabiner (equaling more weight). well i have two 5 1/2' pieces of 1" strap. on one end i tied a bowmans bight. now i toss that around the tree creating a lark's head. so now i have the strap tight around the tree, and with one end of the strap hangin' off, i thread it through my ring buckles and abracadabra... you have a hung hammock...

now i just bought my hammock and havent tried this out yet, but is there any thing wrong with what i described? i just feel that everything else involves sewing a loop, using a biner, a 9 iron, an ice pick and a carnie (short folks with small hands, smell like cabbage)...

give me your opinion...

-FM

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Nope - nothing wrong with that at all. As long as you have something to protect the tree (like your webbing), it's all good.

The only reason to have a biner is extra convenience. I only recently started using one...went several years thinking they were too heavy to bother with. Now I have my pack weight low enough that I started adding back in small conviences, like biners.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    There are two reason's I'm aware of:
    1. Convenience - you don't have to thread the length of the strap through the loop.
    2. Abrasion - eliminated the rubbing of strap on strap going through the loop.
    It's just user preference IMO, in the "not necessary but nice to have category".

Hey Full Moon - about time you made it over here for more than just lurking - welcome. My only comment is that 5.5 feet of strap on each end of the hammock is a touch short for general use 2 straps 10 feet to 15 feet long are more commonly carried to cover situations where the trees are bigger or further apart than can be easily handled by your shorter straps. On the other hand if you know ahead of time where you will be hanging cause you have hung there before with those straps ...

HOI,
    i hear ya, the only reason i made it out of 6' pieces, is because i had a random 12' piece of 1" strap in my garage. i'll probably modify it before my first trip (buy 1" poly instead of the nylon i have now...)

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    [QUOTE=FullMoon;50622]I feel that every single thread i read about how your going to hang your hammock always involves a carabiner (equaling more weight). well i have two 5 1/2' pieces of 1" strap. on one end i tied a bowmans bight. now i toss that around the tree creating a lark's head. so now i have the strap tight around the tree, and with one end of the strap hangin' off, i thread it through my ring buckles and abracadabra... you have a hung hammock...

now i just bought my hammock and havent tried this out yet, but is there any thing wrong with what i described? i just feel that everything else involves sewing a loop, using a biner, a 9 iron, an ice pick and a carnie (short folks with small hands, smell like cabbage)...

give me your opinion...

-FM[/Q

i use the ring buckle system with for convence of hanging center my hammock neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMoon View Post
    I feel that every single thread i read about how your going to hang your hammock always involves a carabiner (equaling more weight). well i have two 5 1/2' pieces of 1" strap. on one end i tied a bowmans bight. now i toss that around the tree creating a lark's head. so now i have the strap tight around the tree, and with one end of the strap hangin' off, i thread it through my ring buckles and abracadabra... you have a hung hammock...

give me your opinion...

-FM
    welcome to hammock forums neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMoon View Post
    a 9 iron, an ice pick and a carnie (short folks with small hands, smell like cabbage)...

give me your opinion...

-FM
    My opinion is that's some funny stuff right there!

Set-up sounds fine, but HOI is right; double your strap length and enjoy the flexibility a few extra ounces of webbing adds. Welcome to the forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I use 12', 1" seatbelt polyester from strapworks. I sew a loop in one end, and use the loop to attach it to the hammock. I then use the rest to lash it to the tree. May take a little longer than the ring buckles, but I have used it so much that it really doesn't take me that long anymore. Of course, go with Polyester, never Nylon. JMO.

Dwight
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts