ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwolfy View Post
    I was shocked when I got in it. NO sag. I was used to dropping 2'.
    I know right? It's amazing the difference they make.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by spamburglar View Post
    I just got a set of whoopies to replace my ENO DN stock rope. My concern is that the material may not hold up to a single wrap and I am not sure the fixed eye end is long enough to do a double loop. I am a 250 lbs noob, so I dont know if a single loop will suffice or not
    I actually loop the whoopie sling through the end channel twice and larkshead. I don't guess I really think it's necessary, but because the stock rope was looped twice I guess I'm just too OCD to only loop it once. I think you'd be fine with just one loop, as I'm sure you've probably already realized from experience.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Southernfan6885 View Post
    I actually loop the whoopie sling through the end channel twice and larkshead. I don't guess I really think it's necessary, but because the stock rope was looped twice I guess I'm just too OCD to only loop it once. I think you'd be fine with just one loop, as I'm sure you've probably already realized from experience.
    Yep, I did it only once thru. Doing my other ENO tonight! Not to mention the weight savings taking the heavy steel biners and rope out. I think my whoopies together weigh about the same as one of the ENO factory loops in one end.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Once through is not a problem. Have done so on all my ENO's and other parachute nylon hammocks with no issues. I tend to fiddle with my gear and I change up my suspensions often and when I do I examine the end channel and there is no wear that I can see. Because the end channels are compressed and bunched up, there shouldn't be any problems. If you were going to use dynaglide whoopies, then I'd be more concerned.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Here's my whoopie on one end and ENO biner, straps on the other. Which looks lighter?
    Attached Images Attached Images

How come I don't notice any sag with the Slap Straps? I haven't tried anything else I guess maybe that's the reason.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    How come I don't notice any sag with the Slap Straps? I haven't tried anything else I guess maybe that's the reason.
    I guess you ou mean stretch right? Sag allows you to have a comfortable lay. Have you used the slap straps for a full night? When I had mine, they were OK for short periods, but for a whole night they really lowered me to the ground.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by muddog15 View Post
    I'd expect there's some stretch when you get in. Watch really close next time and see if you don't sink a little as you get in, and then a little more every time you move around the first little while. Then stay in it overnight and see if you sink!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    It also makes a difference with how much of the strap you're using. When I'm tight between trees and only use a little of the straps, not much stretch. When I put them up between trees that max out the straps, then max stretch on the straps too. That's when you'll notice the sink. The longer the time (like overnight), the more stretch. At some point, you'll have them stretched out, but they tighten up when they're undone.

Worst problem is if you put a knot in the line (like I did to put two straps together for extra length. The straps stretch in the knot too. Then when the pressures off, the knot tightens up to the point where you can't get it out!

When I used them, I'd usually put up my hammock and "pre-stretch" them; i.e. lay down on the hammock and let it stretch for about 2 to 5 minutes, then re-do the lines to tighten them up.

From a use standpoint on the ENOs, what others have recommended about the angle of the lines for other hammocks works best. 25* to 30* hanging down from the trees. If you have a long distance between trees, you'll have to put the wraps on the trees waaaay up to get that angle (like maybe even a ladder). I found that if you give the ENO a good sag (that term that others were talking about - which means how close or wide apart the ends of the hammock are (the distance apart of the uprights on the letter U), the better the lay. You can lay almost flat across the centerline AKA an aysmetrical lay - like a Warbonnet.

Hope this helps.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Experimenting
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Anyone else using chain links (continuous loops) to replace their stock ropes?

I originally did the straight whoopie double-pass-thru conversion. Decided I didn't like having my options limited for hanging, experimenting, etc. So I made a pair of 11" long (~33" dia) continuous loops from 7/64 Amsteel. Using a loop automatically gave me 2 thicknesses in the channel with a single pass.

Now, I have about 4" free on each end to play with. I went an extra step and created soft shackes from 1/8" Amsteel (>5000 lb rating I believe in that config). Now, I can swap in / out whoopies, SRL, etc. in seconds. All of it together packs up tighter than my stock ropes...
    Ignorance is temporary. Stupid is forever...

I'm not high maintenance! I'm simply low tolerance.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12