JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Originally Posted by Peter_pan
    "I do not understand the confusion on such a simple device"
    Quote Originally Posted by bredler View Post
    agreed.
    I don't see anything strange or unusual about it, for reasons already given.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Backwards Warbonnet, Several DIY
    Tarp
    Homemade
    Insulation
    Homemade UQ
    Images
    I recieved my glides today and they were as described and appear to be a good product. Unfortunately, like NCPartick, I was hoping that the glide would function like ring buckles as I much prefer that method. I have a loop on one end of my straps, then I like to put the strap around the tree, thru the loop and attach the end of the strap to the ring buckles. Ring buckles are on about a 16" long piece of 1" webbing connected to the end of the hammock. I found that the tri glide can function this way if after I run the webbing thru the glide I do a couple of hitches back on the webbing strap. It's a really easy to set up, easy to adjust system. I may try a set of these instead. But they seem pretty heavy.

If the webbing loops around the tree once, then there isn't much in the configuration to keep the webbing positioned at the selected spot on the tree.
    Bingo! That's what I found as well. So with a tri glide type of buckle, I found that I wanted to wrap the strap around the tree more than once so it does not slip down the tree, thereby making any needed adjustment a little more cumbersome. At that point, I found it was probably just as easy to untie/re-tie the straps with a conventional knotting and save the weight of the buckles. If you think you will be satisfied with only wrapping the webbing around the tree once as in Rasputens photos, then they work great.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    First, thread the triglide onto your strap, then run the end of the strap around the tree and then feed the strap back through the triglide. That's how I interpreted the instructions.
    Could the original cinch buckles from Onrope be used in the same fashion that you are supposed to use the tri-glides?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Could the original cinch buckles from Onrope be used in the same fashion that you are supposed to use the tri-glides?
    Yes. The inner sliding portion would wind up one one side, but that would only tighten the hold on the webbing.

I don't understand why you'd want to use one in that manner, though. Do you have a specific weight saving application in mind?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    Bingo! That's what I found as well. So with a tri glide type of buckle, I found that I wanted to wrap the strap around the tree more than once so it does not slip down the tree, thereby making any needed adjustment a little more cumbersome. At that point, I found it was probably just as easy to untie/re-tie the straps with a conventional knotting and save the weight of the buckles. If you think you will be satisfied with only wrapping the webbing around the tree once as in Rasputens photos, then they work great.
    Argument noted. Hummm, I'm going to time myself in the next couple of days trying this with the Tri-Glides and with the improved (Risk's) 4 wrap. I will attempt to prove that a double wrap with the Tri-Glides is just as quick or quicker as with the 4 wrap. This is only for fun and I really don't care much about time when I'm out in gods country! Unless of course it's raining buckets!! FWIW: I never double wrap the HH tree huggers? Quess I have been extremely lucky?
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by speyguy View Post
    I recieved my glides today and they were as described and appear to be a good product. Unfortunately, like NCPartick, I was hoping that the glide would function like ring buckles as I much prefer that method. I have a loop on one end of my straps, then I like to put the strap around the tree, thru the loop and attach the end of the strap to the ring buckles. Ring buckles are on about a 16" long piece of 1" webbing connected to the end of the hammock. I found that the tri glide can function this way if after I run the webbing thru the glide I do a couple of hitches back on the webbing strap. It's a really easy to set up, easy to adjust system. I may try a set of these instead. But they seem pretty heavy.

Speyguy, et al.

I have been wraping one and ahalf around trees for years..... As long as you do the Speer wrap, Hennessy lashing or JRB Tri-glide about 6-10 from the tree.... All you have to do to raise or lower the point of attachment to the tree is untension the line by an inchor more, loosen the tree wrap an slide all up or down the tree, retension the line .... done...

As to the weight of buckles.... I agree that all the steel buckles being used/tried have a weight penalty.... The JRB Tri-glide actually reduces weight if you eliminate the length of webing needed to form the two knots most commonly used.... These take 24-30 inches of webbing to form properly....Conservatively, 24 inches of polyester webbing weighs 14 grams and the JRB Tri-Glide only weighs 13 oz.... So overal the sysystem with an average of 8 ft straps vs the more common 10 foot straps is 2 grams lighter...Arguably no big deal but it is clearly a fact that the JRB Tri-glides weigh less than the webbing used to make the knots....Over the other devices, several ozs savings is possible ( See NCPatrich recent comments above).

To adjust the length of line.... Simply push the ends of webbing in to the center, this forms a center loop, slide the JRB Tri-Glideto the desired new position, retighten the webbing to the flat postion... Done.... normal time with practice... 5-15 seconds..... Even the most practiced of us need 25-45 seconds to untie the Speer or Hennessy lashing, change length, and retie it.
    YMMV.
    Last edited by Peter_pan; 02-29-2008 at 07:56. Reason: Spelling corrections
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Would this work? If this has already been described, sorry. I'm a visual thinker and have to see it to understand most times. The strap would pass through a ring on a bridge type hammock or a loop in the suspension strap/line on other style hammocks then through tri-glide. The loop at the tree would prevent sliding.

Last edited by gibmo; 02-29-2008 at 19:28.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gibmo View Post
    Would this work? If this has already been described, sorry. I'm a visual thinker and have to see it to understand most times. The strap would pass through a ring on a bridge type hammock or a loop in the suspension strap/line on other style hammocks then through tri-glide. The loop at the tree would prevent sliding.

yep. That's exactly what I had in mind when I asked NCPatrick which direction the free end was pointing once you'd strapped up.

Grizz

Hammock
    WBB1.7, HH EXP UL , Claytor Nonet
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, RMS
    Suspension
    buckles or whoopie
    Images

lard tail test

Well it warmed up a few degrees and the snow melted a bit, so I was able to test hang the tri glides.
    I tied a couple of Speer 1 inch Webbing, Polypropylene straps to my Claytor NONET HAMMOCK.
    Easy to adjust, works as advertised, no slippage ~250 lbs. I had the hammock pulled tight and got in and out several times and gentle bounce etc.
    first time using straps, this is quick and easy. I will probably put caribiners on the other ends next so I can use the straps on other hammocks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast