HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    It would seem to me there is a design limitation that you can't wrap around the tree more than once, not without losing the ability for adjustment. I don't have any so I am trying to picture the process in my head, which has been known to differ from reality quite often...

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    At Pan's suggestion I have wrapped around the tree twice if the tree is smaller than 8" diameter

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    And how did you adjust it? It seems to me that design requires the webbing to move around the tree as you shorten/lengthen the suspension, and doing so would be difficult if you are wrapped around the tree multiple times.

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    And how did you adjust it? It seems to me that design requires the webbing to move around the tree as you shorten/lengthen the suspension, and doing so would be difficult if you are wrapped around the tree multiple times.
    All I had to do was loosen the strap and shift the excess around the tree in the appropriate direction (towards the tri-glide to tighten/shorten the strap and towards the hammock to loosen/lengthen the strap)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have the tri-glides and love 'em......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    redtail, it seems to me that it probably has alot to do with how you hang. i can see un-cinched webbing slipping down the tree if you hang with lots of sag, with your suspension ropes at a steep angle, which is how you would likely hang a hammock without a ridgeline. now if you do have a ridgeline and you crank things moderately tight, with a flatter suspension angle, the ropes aren't pulling down so much as out, and slippage would probably be less likely.

that being said, way back when i started hanging, i would setup my hh without fully cinching the trunk, and from what i remember, i was pulling things pretty tight, and there were times my straps slid down the tree under my weight. i later switched to fully cinching the tree and have never had that happen.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts Top/Btm
    Suspension
    Whoo-Pie Slings
    Images

DIY'er here

OK so I am a total cheap skate. I love to try and do things better than what you can buy and very frequently find myself paying more than I would have had I just went and bought the darn things. Even thought they mostly "MOSTLY" work better or comparable to said retail jobbies However this time I found that I was able todo so and get the same results myself. I was a big rock climber way back and had an old beat up harness that I would use for tiny folk that would like to come with and try climbing out. I since have bailed on rope climbing and like to just boulder some when I go camping in southern Utah. So I took a pair of scissors to the old rag and cut out the "Cinch buckles that where used to adjust the leg straps of the harness. I used these just like the JBR Tri-glides however I have a brand new Clark UL and found that I really didn't want to mess with the ropes just yet. So here is a quick explanation of what I used the second time I slept in her this weekend to make adjustments easier. Remember I am totally new here so this is my first few setups and tired very quickly of the unadjustable knots used to hang with. (i.e the Bowman's Knot) Clark's' use rope rather than webbing coming off the hammock body. So I tie the reg Bowman's at the end or any where along its length threw a loop at the end of my strap. I then slid the cinch buckle threw my strap from the unlooped end. I then take that free end and put it threw a biner attached to my tree strap loop for easy slide due to the abrasiveness of the tree strap. (A biner is needed for longevity of both the tree strap and webbing used. I tried it with out the biner the first go and found almost immediately when I tensioned the webbing that it frayed some at the edges and the webbing didn't want to slide easily) I come back down the strap to the buckle and thread it back threw and pull to the right tension. Easy peasy. This setup is far from any different than anyone else's however some are questioning the ability it has to hold proper like. From my days of climbing the best way to prevent any slippage, with this type of buckle, is, you are suppose to come back over the outside and middle spline and threw that last opening and back up the webbing. (Even if this wasn't done I found absolutely no slippage, but I also like to sleep with no worries) So the safety step can be completed as a last step after you made sure your hang angle and hight are correct. This will completely lock the strap in place with no fear of slippage. Now I only need to cut the excess off my rope to really make the whole setup neat and tidy like. I am really questioning doing this because I have about 11 feet of rope attached to the hammock and about 8 feet of strap(doubled up it is 8 Ft.) This gives me, with the ability to tie the Bowman's in my hammock rope anywhere I need and then use the strap for adjustments for just about any situation imaginable. Shoot if the trees are 50' apart I am almost still good to hang. NOTE: However when I tried to hang with the most webbing and rope available I went straight to the dirt, but you get what I am throwing down this will be the way I roll from here on out. Endless options. I don't think i will cut my rope until I am sure I have my kit dialed. Hope this helps anyone with questions about the ability these little suckers have for holding power. I figure if I can take a 10-15 foot whipper off a wall and these are the only things holding me in my harness, I am darn sure they will hold solid for just hanging around.
    Price for this setup=Free
    I had everything I needed at home from stuff laying around. Yeah I may have killed a harness but I would not let anyone use that thing anymore she has seen better days and will now live on instead of being tucked away in a dark closet. The webbing I used from old ratchet straps for holding down motorcycles with a tensile strength of 400 Lbs. These are the only thing I question as far as the ability to hold my bum (165lbs.)

Anyone have specs/formula on what the weight applied to these straps may be for a lump like myself?
    Last edited by RTR; 08-24-2008 at 23:24.

• + New Posts
  • Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789