Thread: Tarp tie-outs

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Have you tried those? Do they work well? What kind of rope did you use?
    No, I have not used them but I am going to put them on my next tarp. They are starting to show up on more tents and tarps.

These were discussed before in the link below

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=lineloc

Images
    those look very interesting, but who is gonna use 3mm guyline? will it work with normal sized guyline? has anyone used these? i'll check the other link.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    MLD is using these on their new tarps and shelters. If you go to their site and look at some of the pics you will see them on the tarps.

Henry Shire TarpTents uses them with Kelty Triptease line
    Last edited by hangnout; 02-25-2008 at 22:55.

Images
    i guess i'll just call quest tomorrow and order some to experiment with.

Images
    I have experimented a bit with the ladder locks and 1/2" grosgrain ribbon for tie-outs. Inspired by the Prusik knot on my cinch buckles (that I made according to Blackbishop's instructions) I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get an integrated tarp tensioner while not having to sew on the ladder lock buckles. So, I took a short loop of 3/32" shock cord, attached the ladder lock with a Prusik, and likewise attached the whole thing to the tarp tie-out. I hope the picture illustrates what I'm talking about.

I was pretty proud of myself for the great idea until I tested it. The 3/32" shock cord is clearly too thin. I have to stretch it all the way to its limit to get enough tension on the tarp, and I am more than a bit concerned about the shock cord failing under the load. Otherwise, this method works really well and the grosgrain seems to hold fine in the ladder lock buckle. Unfortunately, all I have left is 3/32" and 1/4" shock cord, the former being too thin and the latter way too big. I will be ordering some 1/8" and 3/16" shock cord to experiment with.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anybody who uses shock cord on their guylines has any recommendations for what size to use, and how long a length of cord is required.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    I have experimented a bit with the ladder locks and 1/2" grosgrain ribbon for tie-outs. Inspired by the Prusik knot on my cinch buckles (that I made according to Blackbishop's instructions) I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get an integrated tarp tensioner while not having to sew on the ladder lock buckles. So, I took a short loop of 3/32" shock cord, attached the ladder lock with a Prusik, and likewise attached the whole thing to the tarp tie-out. I hope the picture illustrates what I'm talking about.

I was pretty proud of myself for the great idea until I tested it. The 3/32" shock cord is clearly too thin. I have to stretch it all the way to its limit to get enough tension on the tarp, and I am more than a bit concerned about the shock cord failing under the load. Otherwise, this method works really well and the grosgrain seems to hold fine in the ladder lock buckle. Unfortunately, all I have left is 3/32" and 1/4" shock cord, the former being too thin and the latter way too big. I will be ordering some 1/8" and 3/16" shock cord to experiment with.

In the meantime, I was wondering if anybody who uses shock cord on their guylines has any recommendations for what size to use, and how long a length of cord is required.
    1/8" has been working just fine for me for quite a few years. As for length, I just eyeball what looks appropriate and make a loop.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    1/8" has been working just fine for me for quite a few years. As for length, I just eyeball what looks appropriate and make a loop.
    Do I understand correctly that you are using two strands of 1/8" shock cord in parallel? I think 1/8" will work great with a Prusik on the ladder locks, not so sure about 3/16".

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12