Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    Quote Originally Posted by Topper1963 View Post
    I put a taught line hitch in the end - ...
    I do something similar. But turned round the other way.

When I attach the tie out lines to my tarps I put the taught line hitch loop at the tarp end and attach the other end of the line to the ground stake with a loop , or more recently with the Pile hitch.

When packing up, I disconnect the line from the ground stake. Close the the taught line hitch till the loop is only open about 3 inches. Just open enough to easily stick the coiled line inside the open loop. Then figure 8 the line on my fingers, as described earlier. Stopping about 4 inches from the taught line knot.

Then roll a few inches of the line around the middle of the figure 8 coiled line. Rolling the coiled line toward the TL hitch. Then just turn the coiled line and tuck the coil inside the the loop. Then tighten, or push the taught line knot toward the tie out loop on the tarp. This holds the coiled line inside the loop. Thus the coiled tie out line is snugged next to the tarp edge tight to the tie out loop or d-ring. Then just stuff tarp and all into the stuff sack.

This method doesn't weight anything, there's nothing to loose, and when I need to adjust the tightness of the line with the tarp setup, my sliding adjustment knot is up off the ground, easy to reach. I can also reach the the knot from underneath the tarp when its raining , if I need to tighten the tie out line, with out going out to the stake end and getting wet. Or at least most of the time, if the taught line knot is not to far away from the tarp edge. Which is usually the case when I expect rain and the tarp edges are down low and not up high tied to a tree limb or hiking stick to give me a view out to the woods.

Anyway, works for me. ymmv.

Also I might note that I use tie out line that is a bit rough in texture, not a slick feeling line. The rough texture increases the friction of the sliding knot, helps the knot hold better and not slip when in use or when everything is coiled to pack away the tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    Maddy the goose has a good instructional vid doing the figure 8...

http://www.maddythegoose.com/Home/knots

The whole web site has some good ideas too.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blkx01 View Post
    open your hand in your best Spock Vulcan sign. Wind your line in a figure 8 around your fingers. wrap the last 10" or so & tuck the end under. No matter what line you use...no tangles. And no extra weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I concur.....wrap tight and prosper))))
    Shug
    Had not considered this method. I like it. Gonna have to use it on some loose cord I have around here.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I usually just stuff it in the sack with the tarp. Usually not much tangle, but will have to try the vulcan wrap.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images

Cool

IM going with blkx01 and Shug on this one , I leave the main guylines on my tarp and wrap them in the manner described , you could use velcro cable wraps to be fancy but its not needed , I definitly wouldnt use zip ties because to make it work it would have to be pulled tight and then cut off with something sharp....Tarp + something sharp = costly mistake.
    I always set my side guylines up differently depending on the weather (front porch with hiking poles or A frame for bad weather) so I never leave the corner lines on but still wrap them in the manner described and still put them in the stuff sack with the tarp...semper fi!!

Quote Originally Posted by blkx01 View Post
    open your hand in your best Spock Vulcan sign. Wind your line in a figure 8 around your fingers. wrap the last 10" or so & tuck the end under. No matter what line you use...no tangles. And no extra weight.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123