Thread: Pipestone

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts

Pipestone

So, we took our scouts out to an area in SW Montana known as Pipestone for a quick overnighter. It is a big area used by bicycles, motorcycles, ATVs, joggers, etc. Many neat things to see. We took them there for bicycle riding.

When we were setting up camp, it became apparent that hanging my hammock was going to be a challenge. The trees were basically in "gang mode". Each clumb of trees had one big tree and a bunch of little tiny trees right around it, trying to look big. Then 50 yards away stood another gang of trees.

Finally I found a couple of trees that would work that were about 35 feet apart. This used up most of my suspension length just reaching across. Then trying to get the straps high enough was another problem. I ended up getting the lines connected about 9-10 feet up the trees. Luckily I had the foresight to attach retrieval lines to the loops of the tree huggers so I could release and retrieve them from the ground.

This left the lines themselves very tight going across. In fact, for the first time ever, the suspension actually made noise when I would climb into the hammock. I could flip the ridgeline with my finger and it struck a note like a guitar string.

As the forecast was for a clear night and, given the state of the suspension which I didn't expect to last the night, I didn't bother to setup a tarp.

At about 10:30 when I was going to bed, I noticed a layer of frost was already developing on the hammock and quilts. It was about 28*F at this point (got down to about 16* for a low). Recognizing my lack of judgement, I quickly setup my tarp. It was a good thing, too. By morning, there was a heavy layer of frost on the tarp and ground. I gladly traded my view of the stars for no frost all over me.

On Saturday, we broke up in several groups and road the different trails in the area. My group made about a 10 mile round trip ride to Ringing Rocks. It was really amazing how these different tones could come out of this pile of rocks. If I would have had my "ridgeline guitar" there, we could have had a regular band going.

The scouts had a blast and we even found a geocache in the area.

Anyway, it was another fun adventure to add to my hammocking/camping/scouting adventures. Along with HYOH, I think I will have to add that NTHATS - no two hangs are the same.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Good report! Those ringing rocks are something! Never "heard" of anything like it! Thanks for posting.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    Thanks For the TR And Ringing Rocks Education Pretty Neat!

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Very interesting report. Thanks for posting it.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    This place has a very special meaning to the Boy Scouts in my area.
    Since 1926 Scouts from all over the country have come to Buckeye Council and strived to attain the coveted Pipestone Award.

http://buckeyecouncil.org/Program/Ca...20Program.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts