Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Looking for a good 2 nighter in Maryland

All,

I'm relatively new to backbacking and hiking. So far, I've got about 10 overnights under my belt, mostly in hiker-biker campsites along the C&O canal. Does anyone have any suggestions of good places in Maryland that I could leave my car and hike out for a couple of nites? I'm thinking of the AT, but I'd rather not drive all the way to Pen-Mar or Harpers Ferry if I don't need to.

I'm in Rockville, MD, just outside of DC if that helps.

Thanks.
    - Norm

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Shenandoah NP may be beyond the range you're hoping for, but overnight opportunities abound. Out and backs, loops, the AT, and wilderness trails galore. 90 mins or so from Rockville maybe?
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I wish I could remember the parking area, but there is a spot to get on the AT just outside Frederick. Its been so long I havent a clue where it is. But the AT crosses 70.

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks guys.

Flangler - been drooling over SNP for a while. That may be the call.

Opie - Frederick would be ideal. If you end up remembering the place, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.
    - Norm

Hammock
    1.7 SL WBTraveler
    Tarp
    HG 4-season Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow and Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by normis1 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Flangler - been drooling over SNP for a while. That may be the call.

Opie - Frederick would be ideal. If you end up remembering the place, please shoot me a PM. Thanks.
    I just did a 3-nighter in SNP with Cranky Bear and Lazy River Road. It was awesome, even with a full day of rain and some fog on the hike out. The only bummer is that parts of Skyline Drive, which parallels and occasionally crosses the AT, are being repaved right now, so there is the occasional smell of fresh asphalt and engine braking sounds from big dump trucks.
    - Dylan

“You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the 'present.'”
    ― Master Oogway

I'm in College Park. So, not too far from you. Check out the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club (PATC) maps 7, 6, and 5. http://www.patc.us/store/map.htm

These cover the MD section of the appalachian trail, and you can get these at REI or Hudson Trail. I think they are both near you. The people at the store are likely to be familiar with where the parking areas are. Honestly, I think that most places the AT crosses a halfway significant road, there is some sort of parking area.

I've been on several trips starting at the place Opie mentioned. (where the AT crosses I-70) I help lead a christian group, similar to scouts, and one of the other leaders owns that map. So, I can give you specifics of where we went right now, although I believe we went North, which starts uphill and in about 2 miles there is a pretty nice overlook called Annapolis Rocks. This is also a good spot for climbing. If my memery serves me, in 6 more miles, there is a 3-sided open shelter with a spring nearby. About 6 miles after that is another spot with a spring and shelter, I believe. There is a geological anomaly there called devils racecourse.

Here is a link the parking area by I-70: Google map

I've done the most backpacking on, and am most familiar with PATC map F, which covers part of the Tuscarora Trail in West Virginia. This was mostly leading 2-3 day trips out of a camp in the area. There are many, many side trails on this map, which makes it easy to plan loops and such. Also, there are a number of very nice overlooks IMHO.

Notable places out there would be Tibbet Knob and Big Schloss on map F in WV or Signal Knob on map G, on the other side of I-81 in VA, but I'd say maps 5, 6, and 7 are a good option for closer trails.
    Last edited by egroeg555; 04-25-2011 at 23:15.

Here's a picture of where the maps are that I'm talking about, also there are a couple maps there, covering a smaller area, closer to DC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Speer DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Great - thanks guys!
    - Norm

• + New Posts