Skeeter beater vs DIY Hennessy

Hey guys. I really like Headchange's diy clone, seems like something I could build and should be what I want. Then I saw the skeeter beater, that is pretty much the same thing and only $75.

I'm hoping that some of you guys can give some opinions on the differences of the skeeter beater in polyester and a diy with 1.7 nylon.

I don't currently have a hammock so I don't have anything to base the decision on. My wife and I can sew and we like projects. What do you think?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewguy View Post
    Hey guys. I really like Headchange's diy clone, seems like something I could build and should be what I want. Then I saw the skeeter beater, that is pretty much the same thing and only $75.

I'm hoping that some of you guys can give some opinions on the differences of the skeeter beater in polyester and a diy with 1.7 nylon.

I don't currently have a hammock so I don't have anything to base the decision on. My wife and I can sew and we like projects. What do you think?
    The main part I do not like about my Skeeter Beeter is that the bug net is white. This makes it easy to see in and difficult to see out of which to me is the opposite of what I want. The bugnet suspension is also a bit of a pain to set up compared to other integrated bug nets. The hammock itself is fine, the bugnet works, but is just not ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    The main part I do not like about my Skeeter Beeter is that the bug net is white. This makes it easy to see in and difficult to see out of which to me is the opposite of what I want. The bugnet suspension is also a bit of a pain to set up compared to other integrated bug nets. The hammock itself is fine, the bugnet works, but is just not ideal.
    right, that uses two lines for the bug net vs the integrated ridge line in the diy. As far as material and comfort goes, you like the skeeter beeter? I'm not really sure what difference there is between nylon and polyester?

Images
    right, that uses two lines for the bug net vs the integrated ridge line in the diy. As far as material and comfort goes, you like the skeeter beeter? I'm not really sure what difference there is between nylon and polyester?

Which skeeterbeeter are you talking about? The ultralight is the one made from polyester, has a weight limit of 250lbs and retails for $45. The Pro runs $75, has a weight limit of 400lbs and is made from parachute ripstop nylon. The bug netting can be setup simply and quickly on either of them by attaching to your Structural ridgline, running your ridgeline inside the netting (sligtly tougher but still easy to do), or using the included shockcord to attach to the trees (still super easy)

Anyway, I use the structural ridgeline to support mine. As far as the support and comfort goes, I love it and I sleep in my skeeterbeeter pro every night (inside, without the bug netting). I use a DIY lightweight under quilt and top quilt and sleep like a baby.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm partial to DIY. I started sewing (Yes, I SEW! ) to make my own hammocks. I like HC4U's design so much, I've made 3 of them:

The blue one was the first, I used velcro as I was afraid of zippers... turns out they're easier than velcro. (used white Organza for the net)

The other two are what my kids now have. The green net is Organza, the camo-one is fashion tulle from Joann's. (great stuff)

If you have lots of bugs, either good no-see-um netting may be in order, or organza. Though if it get's hot, Organza blocks some breeze.

These hammocks are easier to make than you think, but $75 is hard to beat! I made my current hammock (no pics yet) out of 1.1 nylon I bought from Scott at http://www.diygearsupply.com/ His prices are good, he has camo and olive nylon that make very nice hammocks. He also has zippers (CHEAP) and netting. (other great supplies too... Silnylon for stuff sacks, etc.)

There's no reason you can't buy polyester for your hammock. (RamblinRev makes his out of both, if I recall) I've made hammocks out of both... It all depends on what your needs are: Polyester is very comfortable.

The only tricky part with making a hammock is sewing the netting. It has a tendancy to stretch, so it's hard to get perfectly even. My sewing skills aren't great, so you should have no troubles. Oh, when I made my hammocks, I fixed the bugnet on one side and zippered the other.

Warning: DIY projects are addictive, and really don't save any money (if you count your time at $3/hr!) but they are satisfying.

Best of luck,

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I've got a SB UL and A SB Pro. The first is poly and the second is nylon. I find them both comfortable, but the heavier nylon seems to stretch less.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have now made 6 hammocks for myself and friend s according to the HC4U HH Clone instructions (modified slightly to use a WBBB style gathered end instead of folded whipping). They are pretty easy to make and because you pick the materials you decide colors, fabric type / weight, and can customize the length and width. I have never tried a SB hammock so I can't say what they are like but for me I would rather have a DIY HH Clone than a real HH for the reasons stated above. For my HH clones I spend around $70 on materials for a double layer w/ full rigging (straps/ buckles or Whoopie Slings). For the SB it sounds like $75 for the hammock and then maybe more to add a ridgeline or mod the suspension.

It really comes down to do you enjoy making things or do you like the convenience of buying ready made?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I don't think you can compare an HH (clone or not) to the Skeeter Beeter. Having used both the Skeeter Beeter UL and a couple of HH hammocks here's my take. If you want room and comfort the HH is the better of the two. By a long shot. The Skeeter Beeter is a fine product but the HH is wider and I think a fair bit longer which makes for a more comfortable lie.

It you want convenience and out the box readiness then the Skeeter Beeter wins hands down. The HH clone is easy enough to make but the bugnet attachment can be a nasty bit of work and it is time consuming to get everything the way you want it if you make your own. It will also likely cost you almost as much, if not more to build your own as would to buy the Skeeter Beeter.

I don't know where in PA you are but if you are any where near the middle of the state drop me a PM and you can come check out my HH Explorer UL. I'd be glad to give you a tour.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    It depends how large you are too. I'm 6' and nearly 300lbs. My first hammock was a SBPro and it streached so much that I couldn't see out of it at all or get out of it easily. It tacoed so badly that there wasn't much air flow. The bug net also tore too easily and got stuck in the zipper alot. I bought a Watbonnet Blackbird and haven't looked back so I can't be any help about a Hennesey.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I don't think you can compare an HH (clone or not) to the Skeeter Beeter. Having used both the Skeeter Beeter UL and a couple of HH hammocks here's my take. If you want room and comfort the HH is the better of the two. By a long shot. The Skeeter Beeter is a fine product but the HH is wider and I think a fair bit longer which makes for a more comfortable lie.

It you want convenience and out the box readiness then the Skeeter Beeter wins hands down. The HH clone is easy enough to make but the bugnet attachment can be a nasty bit of work and it is time consuming to get everything the way you want it if you make your own. It will also likely cost you almost as much, if not more to build your own as would to buy the Skeeter Beeter.

I don't know where in PA you are but if you are any where near the middle of the state drop me a PM and you can come check out my HH Explorer UL. I'd be glad to give you a tour.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll end up going the Diy route. Rev I'm below Harrisburg, if I get up your way I'll drop you a line. Thanks.

• + New Posts