Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    I'm struggling to understand how a pad between the knees pivots the hips - is that a pad between the hammock bottom and the knees?
    Thanks for the advice.
    I think he means something (pad,pillow) between one knee and the other knee. It does make it better, plus a pillow under the knees(between knees and hammock) makes back sleeping better in more ways than one, for most of us. At least with non-bridge- not really much needed with a bridge.

Hammock
    WBRR and WBBB
    Tarp
    EOS Spinn Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    standard
    Images
    It's kind of hard to explain. I put it between my knees, not btw my knees and hammock.

If you're laying on your left side, both knees sink down to your left twisting your hips to the left because your in a hammock that gives under weight(especially because my knees are kind in the apex of the natural hammock bend).

The knee pad forces your right knee up and it pivots your hips to the right and it results in your body weight being shifted back. It causes a different laying position for me. If I don't use it, my body falls forward and my face is kind of facing down into the hammock.

That probably sounds just as confusing but I gave it a shot;->

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    BigMambaJamba w/po
    Insulation
    3s BM & Incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEarth View Post
    It's kind of hard to explain. I put it between my knees, not btw my knees and hammock.

If you're laying on your left side, both knees sink down to your left twisting your hips to the left because your in a hammock that gives under weight(especially because my knees are kind in the apex of the natural hammock bend).

The knee pad forces your right knee up and it pivots your hips to the right and it results in your body weight being shifted back. It causes a different laying position for me. If I don't use it, my body falls forward and my face is kind of facing down into the hammock.

That probably sounds just as confusing but I gave it a shot;->
    That was good explanation and now I understand your point. Thanks.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    yeah, hammock comfort at the start can be sort of elusive. the forum does a good job of praising being up off the ground, and offers a lot user experience and what's worked for each individual hanger.

there is no plug n play method to it. the physics and personal comfort range, in addition to hammock style, build and way its hung all can be determining factors in side sleeping comfort. a hang one night at site A might be awesome, while the next site may not have the perfect trees and the way your hammocks hung might affect comfort. - not to mention how tired you are, how you normally sleep, etc.

i can attest though i hate being on a wet ground, in a small tent, or under a tarp. the hammock is fun to mod and make your own. it provides great shelter at low weight. but most importantly it gets most of us out recreating in nature.
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    there is no plug n play method to it. the physics and personal comfort range, in addition to hammock style, build and way its hung all can be determining factors in side sleeping comfort. a hang one night at site A might be awesome, while the next site may not have the perfect trees and the way your hammocks hung might affect comfort. - not to mention how tired you are, how you normally sleep, etc.

Each of us are unique eh? I will say that in all my experimenting with different Vario and tree set ups (getting it right before getting way out) the worst time spent in the hammock is better than any time spent on the ground or cot (YMMV). Even in bad set ups a bit of re-positioning inside the hammock brought acceptable comfort and still better than any other...before getting out and changing the dynamics.

The hope, it seems, is to become so familiar with angle for height and foot elevation that a back woods set up becomes an automatic thing. Run that play over and over until we get it right.

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I sleep with one of these all the time. HUGE difference.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AFFYV4/...SIN=B001AFFYV4

by raising the top leg, your spine is in a straighter alignment

Hammock
    GT Ultralight
    Insulation
    Jarbridge River UQ
    Suspension
    Woopies/tree strap
    I just got a grand trunk UL and am a side sleeper and I find the smaller hammock holds me in better when I roll from one side to the other. I sleep on the diagonal in partial fetal with my upper leg stretched out. I am 6'0" 200lbs.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    most of the time i spend in a position somewhere between a side and a back lay, but when i am on my side, my legs are crossed like this in the footbox:

top view:

while in this positure i also keep my feet separate and not on top of each other. this gives my calfs and knees little to no tension in both wbbb and hh scua.
    if everything fails just use pillows as per others..
    btw, i dunno if this is a valid concern, but i sleep on my right side 'cos i don't want to squash my heart on the left...
    hth!
    Last edited by kobold; 05-02-2011 at 20:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123