30' of 7/64 Amsteel and don't know how to use it

I have read and see alot of good ideas. I have a DN and was thinking restringing the hammock ends over.

I have seen the Opie post about the locked brummel, but the last 3 pics are gone. Is this a good method to use with the strap and buckle approach? Is that considered a whoopie sling?

I am 250 and have seen so concern about strength and sag.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Make two fixed loops (40" amsteel each)

Make structural ridgeline (lengthe varies based on hammock design and desired sag)

You will still have 10-12 feet of extra when done and can make some nacrabiners
    Last edited by GvilleDave; 04-28-2011 at 23:21.

Sounds like two whoopies are in order. If you use whoopies, you don't need the buckles, just the straps and toggles.

Strenght nor sag is of no concern with properly built whoopies using amsteel.

I am sure someone will post the youtube link to the Eno whoopie conversion. I did not bookmark it.

Hammock
    DIY Warbird
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    15* down bag & pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hey wisconsinwalter! Good to see another Wisconsinite on the forum...in fact, I'm not too far from you at all! Anyway, if you are looking to make a pair of whoopie slings, here's a link to Samson's splicing instructions for them; in it they make an eye with the locked brummel splice.

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files...plice_2008.pdf

Note that you should taper your amsteel blue when splicing, something not referenced in the above document. They have instructions for tapering here:

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C2_EyeSpl.pdf

That is a standard eye splice using a lock stitch, which is the splice I've used in my whoopies. Beware that this is for 12 strand amsteel blue, so you'll need to adapt your taper for 7/64", which is 8 strand. They have a little bubble showing how to taper 8 strand braids in the right margin. Don't quote me on this, but I think either eye splice works fine in whoopies; hopefully others will chime in here.

Yet another whoopie making (pun intended) resource I enjoy is this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=whoopie+excel

That thread contains an Excel spreadsheet which calculates all of your measurements. Just read the instructions and fiddle around with the variables and you'll get a good idea of how much amsteel you want to use for your whoopies. You won't have enough leftover for a ridgeline, but I don't know if you're looking for that anyway. Plus, you could use something smaller like Zing It for a ridgeline. Happy splicing!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    I have read and see alot of good ideas. I have a DN and was thinking restringing the hammock ends over.

I have seen the Opie post about the locked brummel, but the last 3 pics are gone. Is this a good method to use with the strap and buckle approach? Is that considered a whoopie sling?

The locked brummel is, or can be, one end of a whoopie sling, but it's not the "whoopie" part, nor is it necessarily essential depending on how you're going to attach the whoopie slings to your hammock. A fixed eye at one end is simply a convenient way to attach the sling, so it gets incorporated into a lot of whoopie slings. The more important part of the whoopie sling is the adjustable loop, where you thread the rope into itself for about a foot and then back out. Most people seem to use this with a strap and toggle set-up, not buckles, but I'm sure someone will chime in and set me straight on that part.

30 feet is what I used to make my whoopie slings, which came out maybe a bit longer than is useful, so you might cut a couple of feet off for nacrabiners, like GvilleDave said.

As for weight tolerances, some people study that pretty thoroughly, and I'm sure they'll chime in, too, but most seem to find the specs of 7/64 amsteel suitable for hanging. Holding 250 pounds is way within the stated limits, but as you mention, the angle of your hang and your weight may put you you closer to the upper limits of what some people would trust the rope for. I would say that's something to keep in mind, but it doesn't make the rope unsuitable for hanging. It just makes the unlikely situation of the rope breaking on you a little more likely, but still not very likely. Don't string your hammock up 20 feet off the ground, over a river, or over a pile of broken glass, and you'll be fine. In the unlikely event of a line failure, you'll get a rude awakening and nothing more.

Thanks everyone for the great responses!

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Making a couple of whoopie slings makes the most sense to me. You could either cut your 30' in half or you could cut two 14' sections so that you'll have some left over for soft shackles or something.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wisconsinwalter View Post
    I'm someone who shares the professional rigger's "rule of thumb" of 10-to-1 for rigging involving human safety. But I did read recently that Samson takes into account the 40% reduction in strength due to splices, when it gives a strength rating for its Amsteel line. That being the case, when using Samson's line ratings, I believe a 5-to-1 ratio is probably safe.

250lbs total weight in the hammock would mean Amsteel of 1,250 lb stated strength would do.

Others have their own ideas, of course, and that's fine. I like the comment about not rigging above rivers, rocks, broken glass, etc.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    What's insulation?
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'd say the best use for it would be to put it in a box and send it to Rome, Ga....

Lol I just made 2 6' ft whoopies

• + New Posts