DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings

Texsport Padre Island Hammock Stand with WBBB

I'm planning a bike trip to Oshkosh this year to go see the airshow with some friends. As I'm familiar with airports and they're lack of trees I was afraid I'd have to take the tent. OH, I would have done so without complaint just to see the show but with the money I'll be spending going there I figured that another 80 bucks wouldn't be so bad. After reading enough threads on here I went to the bay and purchased a Texsport Padre Island Hammock. It's item 14262 on page 4 of that link. They're between 50-80 bucks on Ebay.

I set it up this morning in my shop and hung my WBBB from it. I have about a foot of strap extended from the hang points. This left about 10 inches under my rump when sitting in the hammock so I could put it down a little bit more. When I get it home I'm going to put an eye bolt up on top or switch to a combination of eyebolt and shook (s hooks come with it) so that I can run my tarp over the top. I should have a nice little portable shelter. It's 30 pounds so you won't be hiking with it BUT this is a motorcycle trip and I will be pulling my trailer. So the other thing will be to affix a mount to the bottom of my trailer to store the 6 pieces that the stand comes in.

Thanks to this forum I was able to decide on this option but I also know I was hoping to find a recommended stand for my Hammock. So now there is one.

I tried it out, not a good idea really. 5 minutes before work, I was barely awake putting it together, Luckily I normally hang with my feet the other way so getting used to the feet in the box I was able to stay awake. Normally at home when I put my feet to the right I get about to 'So this is..' in the phrase 'So this is what it feels like to have your feet to the right' before I fall asleep.

I got up, stuffed the hammock back in the bag, took the parts apart (you'll need a heavy mallet to knock the pieces apart, use a little grease but it will try to wedge together. I used a 3 foot section of 2x6 this morning.) and got it all stored in my truck about 5 minutes before the boss got here. But its Friday and I know we're all obsessed with the royal wedding, right?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Just a tip from the Vario backyard lab? I used to use a SRL for my tarp and wrap one end around the upright to hang a weighted item from it (see below). This kept the tarp from going slack when I got into the hammock. Recently I tried bungie cords to attach the tarp and it works like a charm. I also found bungies work well for redneck shock cords on all four corners (no line used at all). For us motopackers bungies ARE dual use items eh?

Sorry no pics of the bungie set up yet. I plan to do a series today on improvements (HG Incubator, Mountaingoat tarp sleeves, AHE Shangri La, bungies).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Excellent advise, I'll need to put shock cord on the 'Need to order' list. Thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I am using Nite-Ize 5 and 10 mm adjustable bungies and regular garden variety moto bungies. All you need to watch for is don't set the corner ones too tight...if the ground pegs let go, too tight is a possible "You'll shoot your eye out!" scenario. DAMHIK

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Working on extensions for my Stand and it's looking pretty good. Here are some pics of construction hoping to get it finished this weekend.

Here's a 2 foot piece of 1.25 inch Sch 40 pipe with a 3/8 groove cut in it. I used a dremel with an attachment, you CAN cut it with a hacksaw blade with many little cuts OR chuck a short blade into a skill saw. Heck, I've cut pvc with multiple cuts of a Xacto knife, but not Sch 40.

On to top end, I drilled a 3/4 inch hole on the groove then used a drum sander attachment for the dremel to eyeball and elliptical hole for the Shepard hook portion of my Stand to pass through.

Close is good enough but tight is better then sloppy, SEE

You've got a tube of pvc stopping about 8-10 inches above the hammock attach point of the stand now, lets close it off and put an Eyebolt on there to run the Fly suspension through. I used locktite on the nut of the Eyebolt to keep it solid forever. Make TWO

Jam the cap on top of the PVC Pipe extensions making sure the Solid portion of the Eyebolt is on the Cutout side of the PVC. This is so your suspension won't pinch or possibly cut itself on the Eyebolt closure. A dab of Goop household sealant would probably also help with that but nothing like smooth metal will.

Finally, hang it by the Eyebolt and paint that sucker to match your stand. No need in it standing out.

Hope to finish this off this weekend and try it out but thought I'd get a jump on the construction info. I'll flesh out the measurements then too. Right now they are all LAR measurements. And in a way that I said I never do when everyone was using the KISS principal and saying what the abbreviation meant and that I'd NEVER DO IT!

I'll do it, LAR (Looks About Right) measurements.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym Zip, Eno double nest
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    HH, tree huggers
    cant wait to see the finished product!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Spent the last two weeks on a crazy plane building project which is going pretty well but gonna be a squeaker to be done for Flying Wednesday and for fun fly through the weekend. I've got so much to do tomorrow and need to have it done by Sunday. Anyways, Got home from purchasing yet some more stuff for the plane and my Wife and Grand-Daughter were playing in the back yard SO it was backyard time eh? What a perfect day to see what I have left to get.

Set the Stand up on rather un-even ground and hooked my Warbonnet Black Bird up to it.

Then with a little rigging I got my Superfly up. There is enough room for the Superfly BUT I need to Tie a whoopy sling for it and get some Dynamine or some other type of Prussik to put on it to clip the tarp too. Come to think of it, I think Brandon's video shows him tieing straight to the tarp, no ridgeline. Wouldn't be as adjustable but would be tighter.

Thanks to Law Dawg I hooked some bungee to one end to take care of the slack when the stand flexes, which it does. First time I only had 1/8 inch shock cord on the line. Second time I had the bigger loop shown in the picture, It could use a bit more OR I could eliminate the Amsteel and use the tieouts as intended. I'll have to see about that this weekend. Anyways, here's a closeup of that T coupler that I use to hook the bungee too. Either with a hook through a hole drilled in it, or just around the T. I can add more pipe and a cap if slippage becomes an issue.

That's kind of a neat bungee. You can adjust the length of the loop and then you have that knob that a loop goes right over. Self made Marlin Spike Hitch it is.

Bout this time I noticed I was missing someone and of course I found her IN the hammock already. Didn't have my camera but as soon as I did she was on the floor and moving. I made a tunnel afterall, it was time to run through it.

Had to try it out a bit myself.

And after I took the Superfly off we played a bit in the hammock. Probably not the best thing for the hammock in the long run, but I probably won't wear it out any other way.

So there it is. Now, what I have left to do is install luggage rack brackets on my motorcycle trailer (you know these as industrial towel racks) to bungee the metal poles too and then I need to get some Dynamee or other line to tie the hammock ridgeline up with . Then I need some shock cord for stake outs, Think I'll set them up like the stake outs on the Blacbird. And then some more dynamee for the panel pulls. Throw in some S-biners or mitten clips to hook everything up with and I'll be one happy camper.

Was thinking about sleeping out there but it's muggy and we had to play with the a water toy that shoots water all over the place. So after about 10 minutes of play in the hammock I put the grandaugther in the wading pool and the hammock and fly up.

• + New Posts