Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA

New Traveler 1.7 single

Blackbird vs Traveler - In my recent experience the traveler wins. Just got the 1.7 single, and man it lays like a dream right out of the box. Converted it to whoopie slings. Great length, great width, flat diagonal lay is found in seconds. It's a huge improvement over my Eno double, and I prefer it to the blackbird. Soooo... GET ONE

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I'm just curious about what specifics about the traveler you enjoy over the BB. Simply out of curiosity. Do you not feel you get as flat of a lay in a BB compared to the traveler, do you enjoy just not having a net? I know one thing I love about the black bird is the foot box but I love the traveler just as much for not having a net. I always have the hardest time deciding which one to take on my trips. Enjoy the new hammock
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    FWIW, the Traveler and the BB have identical dimensions and fabric shape. They should feel exactly the same, barring any mental feelings about the presence of the netting.

The footbox on a BB is a triangular piece of fabric that's sewn to the side of the hammock in order to meet the asymmetric shape of the netting. That was a patent workaround, and is a bit of a myth. There is no 'box' that adds foot room.

Some people do find that adding that triangular piece of fabric to a no-net hammock helps create something of a 'retaining wall' above their feet, to keep their top quilt from hanging over the edge. But that doesn't affect the feel of the occupied hammock.

Here's (link, link) further discussion about the matter.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

if you're more comfortable, you can't argue that, roll with it brother, HYOH!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    FWIW, the Traveler and the BB have identical dimensions and fabric shape. They should feel exactly the same, barring any mental feelings about the presence of the netting.
    I have both in dbl (though the WBBB is 1.7 and Traveler is 1.1) and there are some differences...dimensions or not. The most prominent is the ease of adjusting UQs but I am also able to use more of the Traveler for asym than the WBBB. My guestimate is the attached bugnet alters things some. I have no clue how to measure but the WBBB seems shorter inside...again prolly the Skeeter net (no, I don't have a problem with confined spaces). The simplicity is enhanced by not having to fight the tie outs too...the trade off is no shelf.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    I have both in dbl (though the WBBB is 1.7 and Traveler is 1.1) and there are some differences...dimensions or not. The most prominent is the ease of adjusting UQs but I am also able to use more of the Traveler for asym than the WBBB.
    I think you just answered your own question. The Blackbirds are more restrictive in how you position yourself because you are sort of 'contained'. Because there aren't really any boundaries with the Travelers (I often hang my feet over the fabric edge in my Travelers), you can position yourself a little differently. Try laying in the Traveler in as close to the same position as you do in the BB and you'll find the comfort is very similar. I agree that there are some subtle differences, even in the same positioning, but they are very slight when the same positioning is compared.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I think you just answered your own question.

Try laying in the Traveler in as close to the same position as you do in the BB and you'll find the comfort is very similar.
    Well here is my question. Why would I want to lay in the Traveler like I have to in the WBBB? Both have their charms (plus and minus) and uses for specific conditions and that is why one should always have both at the very least. My next question...how could you not agree with that oh master of the hammock and related stuff stash?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg (ret) View Post
    Well here is my question. Why would I want to lay in the Traveler like I have to in the WBBB? Both have their charms (plus and minus) and uses for specific conditions and that is why one should always have both at the very least. My next question...how could you not agree with that oh master of the hammock stash?
    Oh I agree to be sure! The more hammocks, the more gooder.

My BB gets less and less use these days in favor of the Traveler for exactly the reason of having more flexibility in the Traveler. Deep cold and heavy bugs are the realm of my Blackbirds. If I'm taking a Warbonnet any other times, it's usually a Traveler. I was a slow adopter of the Traveler over the BB, but it's become fairly obvious over the last year that my preference is shifting. Then again, I get bored pretty easily.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I dont guess it really matters anyway beacuse those **** tornadoes have ruined most all North Alabama trails. Sipsey is probably wrecked. Now my neighbors give me wierd looks when I'm outside "experimenting" with my hammock. It's like they think I'm cooking meth in it or something.

For lazy river,
    1. more digaonal capabilities
    2. no more of my head in the freakin bug net
    3. no more worryin about ripping the freakin bug net or makin repairs to the ripped bugnet
    4. easy UQ adjustment, no zippers to unzip
    5. just an instant "ahhhh this is the one feelin"

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    It's like they think I'm cooking meth in it or something.
    Well... hammocking is an addiction...
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

• + New Posts