Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

Modified Gear Guide 12X12 Tarp and Bag and Trek Light Double

I'm starting this thread to show some of the modifications I'm doing to our Gear Guide 12X12 Tarps and Bags. The first pictures are of the the GG bag; the bottom circle was removed and a cinch channel was added with a small segment of the included lines. I'll be adding a spring lock similar to the top of the bag and re-use the bottom circle as pull out reinforcements for the sides of the tarps. I was going for the snake skin effect of not having to remove the gear bag from the hanging line; I'll still need to fold/roll it up yet now I won't need to balance items above the ground trying to stuff the tarp in the bag, I should be able to fold and pull the supported bag over then stuff the ropes in and close.

The Trek Light double has had the included hanging rope and hooks removed and Amsteel woopies and biners added.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 11steve11; 04-29-2011 at 08:32. Reason: motivation

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 11steve11 View Post
    I'm starting this thread to show some of the modifications I'm doing to our Gear Guide 12X12 Tarps and Bags. The first pictures are of the the GG bag; the bottom circle was removed and a cinch channel was added with a small segment of the included lines. I'll be adding a spring lock similar to the top of the bag and re-use the bottom circle as pull out reinforcements for the sides of the tarps. I was going for the snake skin effect of not having to remove the gear bag from the hanging line; I'll still need to fold/roll it up yet now I won't need to balance items above the ground trying to stuff the tarp in the bag, I should be able to fold and pull the supported bag over then stuff the ropes in and close.

The Trek Light double has had the included hanging rope and hooks removed and Amsteel woopies and biners added.
    Good stuff. I added new ridgeline pulls on mine... There's a thread out there where somebody came up with the idea to use a button and a piece of plastic chain as a removable panel pull. Coated in Plasti-Dip, they work great!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=30155

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    I own both of these products, and have the same fustration with the guide gear bag. I made no-see-um skins for the tarp, and stuffed it in the bag. I like the bottom modification. Right now, I took a piece of paracord, and made a Canadian jam knot to cinch down the bag.

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

Some proof of concept shots

Got outside this morning and started getting this equipment proved out.

The ropes included with the tarp are way too long, I'll be cutting them at least into 1/3's. The tarp is HUGE.
    3 hammocks under an A frame or 4 under a solar sail would be nothing.
    The Trek Light's new Amsteel rigging is almost too small to believe; I'll be adding some soft shackles to the set up eventually.
    The hole in the bottom of the bag works great, it makes it really easy to fold/roll up the tarp and slide the bag over it alone. Snake skins may be easier though.
    The tarp rope I used in the pictures is pre-Amsteel; I was in a hurry to get it up.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    CC pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and toggle
    I was working on something like this last night for my HH Explorer Deluxe and 12x12 GG tarp. I had some Joann fabric ripstop laying around so I decided to make 2 new stuff sacks. The first was for just the HH and I used a piece of fabric that was 22"x18". made channels on the 22" sides and hemmed the 18" sides together to form a double ended stuff sack that is 11" wide and 18" long. For the next one I used a piece of fabric that was 22"x24". Made channels on the 22" sides and hemmed the 18" sides together to form a bag that was 11" wide and 24" long.

I already made separate snakeskins from mesh for the tarp and the HH so I i started by stuffing the tarp in the longer bag first and then placed the HH that is already stuffed in the smaller stuff sack on top. It is a little tight be seems to work out alright. This is definitely not an ultralight setup but i like to have the larger tarp along to cook under in bad weather.

I also wanted a way to be able to just hang the tarp quickly if i had to and not hang the HH. With a drawstring on either end I am able to pull out the tarp and the hammock separately.

I did weight the entire setup and it weighed in at right about 5 lbs. fine for me car camping or in a kayak but i would not want to carry it on my back very far.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    With the snakeskins I made for by GG12 that have pockets for the cords, I am almost thinking of ditching the bag altogether. I put it up a couple days ago, and simply wrapped it up in 'S' curves, and put a nice canadian jam knot with paracord around it.

I am thinking with it open and more moveable, I can fit it in my back with the added flexibility not being in a bag - who knows

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners
    Quote Originally Posted by morticianfaller View Post
    I was working on something like this last night for my HH Explorer Deluxe and 12x12 GG tarp. I had some Joann fabric ripstop laying around so I decided to make 2 new stuff sacks. The first was for just the HH and I used a piece of fabric that was 22"x18". made channels on the 22" sides and hemmed the 18" sides together to form a double ended stuff sack that is 11" wide and 18" long. For the next one I used a piece of fabric that was 22"x24". Made channels on the 22" sides and hemmed the 18" sides together to form a bag that was 11" wide and 24" long.

I also wanted a way to be able to just hang the tarp quickly if i had to and not hang the HH. With a drawstring on either end I am able to pull out the tarp and the hammock separately.
    That's pretty much what I was after, the ability to set up quickly and independently. I just finished another bag (pictured below) from a re-purposed promo give away backpack. It is a combo tarp sack and ridgeline organizer.

Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    With the snakeskins I made for by GG12 that have pockets for the cords, I am almost thinking of ditching the bag altogether.
    I really considered that too. The other day however we were out and it poured rain. Our stuff was dry but the tarp was still getting wet. We packed everything up, then stowed the tarp in the water tight bag and then packed it too. Yea it was still wet when we pulled it out again yet the surrounding stuff was dry.

• + New Posts