Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing

Backyard test of...WBBB, Traveler, Incubator UQ, Shangri La tarp, and other items.

I struggled on where best to place this report or if it should be broken into several different reports and sprinkled into appropriate spots. My tiny reptillian brain decided on General Hammock Talk as the best catch all place.

Recently I have been getting ready for some distance motorcycle trips with hangs. My bike is a BMW F800GS and so the luggage options are not as spacious as say...Land's R1150GS. My first overnighter showed that I was using way too much space and needed down insulation and a smaller tarp than my Kelty 12x12. Backpacking gear and motorcycle camp are a perfect fit and some of us need to even look to ultra light at times. Been refining my kit and set ups for awhile and this report will include a motorcycle type bungie set up on the tarp.

Enter Paul and AHE with a Toxaway and Shangri La tarp...both tarps combined are much smaller than the Kelty alone and quality gear. Next was an HG Incubator and Burrow. Nice, very nice but...the Burrow is a regular and while if fit lengthwise it was a bit snug widthwise. Good thing that the bride of my youth decided that it belongs to her and I now have a wider version of the Burrow in the order process. Overall I like the combo of the Traveler hammock with the Incubator UQ and the Shangri La tarp but that is on the Byer Vario stand. I'll show my favorite final set up first and break down the details in the following posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-29-2011 at 14:24.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    On the road (for long trips...over a week) I will take the AHE Toxaway (no pics today) just for the ability to adjust for bad weather but I really like the Shangri La (shown above). One problem I have had is the set up on my Vario "research" station.

I have tried a SRL with weighted end to keep the ridgeline taut when I get into the hammock. Recently I thought of trying my motorcycle bungies. What I ended up doing is using two 5mm Nite-Ize adjustable bungies for the attachment points on the Vario and regular bungies for the corner attachments (no lines used at all). It worked like magic and I will try it in the piney woods this coming week (I'll still bring some line just in case).

The Nite-Ize allow me to adjust the tarp and will be set to the trees with straps. I have learned to be careful about pulling the corner bungies too tight. Don't ask...let's just say I still have both of my eyes.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-29-2011 at 14:36.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The next pics are of the corner bungies. Remember these ARE dual use items for those of us who moto travel. Weight is not as big an issue as packed size.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-29-2011 at 14:47.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Looking forward to the reports Law Dawg!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The report;
    The Incubator is all many of y'all have said it is. Light and small packing. It fits the Traveler like a glove and WBBB well. I have tested it to the lower 50s here (hey it's the best we can do...notice the citrus trees?) and it is more then adequate with a bunch of room for lower temps. I rate it...

The Shangri La is a fine tarp if saving some grams is key to you. The design is very resistant to my sprinkler tests and will do fine in anything but the nastiest wind blown rain or snow (if set up properly). I rate it (and the Toxaway)...

My bungie system is good in the backyard but piney woods testing is still pending. I'll reserve rating until a few piney wood tests have been accomplished.

Thanks for enduring my newb "experiments"...see ya on the road.
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-29-2011 at 17:43.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Looking forward to the reports Law Dawg!
    Thanks. I did one short one here. Like you, I am looking very much forward to a longer one or ten.

• + New Posts