ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing

getting the wife to try a hammock

on our last camping trip, my wife expressed interest that she'd like to try a hammock out for a night to see if it's something she'd like - seeing that I like it as much as I do.

We're planning a bikepacking trip where space is of particular concern - it looks like we will need to fit an overnight's worth of gear into daypacks - and we're on too much of a budget ATM to buy a bunch of racks and packs for our mountain bikes to handle more gear, so I decided that now was a pretty good opportunity to get her to try out a hammock.

I ordered a Byer Moskito for her to try out. It's not so expensive that if she hates it, we'd be out a bunch of money, and if not, it's something I'd be willing to string up in the backyard for daily R&R. She'll be using straps & whoopies since I have extra ones just lying around from when I made them for my hammock. For now, we plan to do the side-by-side method so we can both fit under one tarp. Later when budget is less of a concern, I would like to get nicer, lighter tarps for each hammock, but this technique should work for now.

I think we'll be good. It will probably be very warm when we go on this trip in a month, so we won't need to worry about sleeping insulation so much. Our bulk should be under control for this trip - should be good times to cover 40mi in a day on fun mountain bike trails.

Hammock
    My own
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    unkown
    Suspension
    whoopi
    Sounds like fun!

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Thumbs up on the Byer Moskito Hammock! I've had mine for about a year now, and while not the most durable of products out there, it gets the job done. It's perfect for an intro hammock, as well as being super light and takes up little space. I've used mine for hammock camping for two 4 night trips and a 1 night trip in the Red River Gorge, KY, and then myself and two friends used the Byer as our primary sleep setup on a month long road trip out west. Spent about 15 nights or so in the hammock on that trip. The extent of damage I've put on it is one support string broke and flipped the hammock once, ripping out one of the bug netting loops. That was an easy fix though. Best of luck!

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Yeah...my wife took an interest in my hammock. Now I don't have a blackbird any more. Had to give up my JRB MW3 as well. Oh and of course I had to get her a tarp. Well she took mine and it was an excuse to get a new cuben one for myself! Now the kids x3 want hammocks! This is getting expensive!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I got my wife a BB hammock first and once she fell in love with it ( the first time she got in it she fell asleep for about 20 minutes, woke up and asked if we could take it our next campout) , I knew I had it made. Her only complaint is that we can't snuggle in the hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Homemade asym
    Tarp
    Homemade blackcat
    Insulation
    JRB Hudson River
    Awesome. I was super excited when my boyfriend who is terrified of heights started showing interest in hammocks.

I think the extra comfort makes up for the lack of snuggles.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered and ENO DN
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I snuggle in my ENO DB with my girlfriend. But she is only 4'11" and 100lbs.
    If you don't try due to fear of failure you've already failed due to fear.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    GG 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY down quilt
    Suspension
    whoopies & webbing
    Wife's hammock showed up in the mail the other day. Haven't had a chance to test it yet because I've been too busy at work and working late the past few days.

Have to do the test setup when she's home so she can play with it. For now, she can use my tree straps, but I ordered her a pair. Also ordered a pair of dynaglide whoopies. Not sure if they'll go on her hammock or on mine at this point. Depends how confident she is in their strength. She tends to be leery of such things.

• + New Posts