Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images

I hate to ask this but

Ive watched alot of threads on here and I have no idea how to sew or anything. but I plan on getting a sewing machine soon and I want to make a gathered end with no ridgeline. I am 150 lb so the fabric probly doesnt matter. I just have no clue what to buy to start this project. sorry

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    I hope you've read through Knottys thread HERE. Most of your questions should be answered just from watching the video in the first post.

Go to Hancocks, buy 4 yards of Ripstop, thread and if you don't have any tools with the sewing machine, extra needles, pins, a good pair of scissors and you might consider a marking pen and a foldout cutting board, working on carpet stinks.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sewing is the easy part. Stopping is hard!

Realistically, there are lots of threads on sewing machines... (ok, bad pun). Your first question: What's your budget? The best advice I've heard here is to go to a local sewing machine shop and see what they have that's old, but serviceable and working. According the experts here (RamblinRev will chime in, I am sure) the old machines are better than new ones.

That said, I have a newer Brother that is everything folks here said not to get, but it was $35, so I didn't care... It does everything I need. It is a little finicky, but I'm ok for the price...

(I finished this for my daughter tonight)

Anyway, in the shop, they should be able to show you how to do everything. All you really need is a straight stitch, but a zig-zag is sometimes useful.

Watch all of RamblinRev's videos... Twice.... and get some cheap fabric and test. Do yourself a favor: ONLY BUY GOOD THREAD. Too many people here have bought Coats and Clark only to have issues. I now only use Gutterman 100% polyester thread. (not the embroidery or the heavy-duty stuff, the "regular" stuff is perfect.) That and a pack of new needles. You'll need a new needle with every project. (sometimes 2) Ask the shop owner for advice and to show you how to operate the machine. it'll save you HOURS of fiddling... (don't ask me how I know)

Welcome to the addiction! BTW: We don't make our own gear to save money... the math doesn't work out...

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I'm in your area and was checking craigslist a lot before my mother in law gave my wife a super nice machine for Christmas. There were some descent deals. Also, there's an antique shop in Pendleton called colonial square antiques that has two old all metal super cool looking machines that supposedly work for $25 each. My brother owns the shop but not those machines, but I can find out if they work. I'm not necessarily suggesting those machines for you, just giving you options. PM me if you want the info on the store.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    MrClean pretty much covered everything you would need. i would suggest doing some practice sewing before you get started. i didn't do this and had to rip a lot of stiching before i got it down pat.
    Hops

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Sewing is the easy part. Stopping is hard!

Realistically, there are lots of threads on sewing machines... (ok, bad pun). Your first question: What's your budget? The best advice I've heard here is to go to a local sewing machine shop and see what they have that's old, but serviceable and working. According the experts here (RamblinRev will chime in, I am sure) the old machines are better than new ones.

That said, I have a newer Brother that is everything folks here said not to get, but it was $35, so I didn't care... It does everything I need. It is a little finicky, but I'm ok for the price...

(I finished this for my daughter tonight)

Anyway, in the shop, they should be able to show you how to do everything. All you really need is a straight stitch, but a zig-zag is sometimes useful.

Watch all of RamblinRev's videos... Twice.... and get some cheap fabric and test. Do yourself a favor: ONLY BUY GOOD THREAD. Too many people here have bought Coats and Clark only to have issues. I now only use Gutterman 100% polyester thread. (not the embroidery or the heavy-duty stuff, the "regular" stuff is perfect.) That and a pack of new needles. You'll need a new needle with every project. (sometimes 2) Ask the shop owner for advice and to show you how to operate the machine. it'll save you HOURS of fiddling... (don't ask me how I know)

Welcome to the addiction! BTW: We don't make our own gear to save money... the math doesn't work out...

John
    thankyou for the feedback, I have watched knotty's thread I just didn't understand what the material list would be and where to sew or anything like that. im going to consider looking into buying a sewing machine soon

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jraffini View Post
    I'm in your area and was checking craigslist a lot before my mother in law gave my wife a super nice machine for Christmas. There were some descent deals. Also, there's an antique shop in Pendleton called colonial square antiques that has two old all metal super cool looking machines that supposedly work for $25 each. My brother owns the shop but not those machines, but I can find out if they work. I'm not necessarily suggesting those machines for you, just giving you options. PM me if you want the info on the store.
    thankyou for the feedback, I probly won't be getting one til after my foothills hike. but ill pm you in a couple weeks if I get around to being ready to take the plunge into sewing haha

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Newton - I live in Greenville and I bought an older machine on Craigslist for $30. Then I ended up having it repaired and tuned up for another $50 by a local repair man. When I was at his shop he had several good quality used machines he had repaired for sale in the $100 range. I will have to find his contact info for you as you are close. He was a retired guy that used to handle maintenance at a local textile plant and now has a repair shop behind his house out in Fountain Inn SC.

As far as materials: either order what you need from Scott at BWDD, he has great ripstop for $3 - $3.5 / yd and he has poly straps, amsteel & everything else you might want. Or if you want I have made several hammocks from the ripstop at Hancock fabrics in Greenville. It costs more but you can often get coupons to reduce their cost.

My other advise - don't get intimidated, just get a machine and start pushing thread and start w/ a few stuff sacks and next thing you know you'll be making more gear than you would have ever imagined.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    http://greenville.craigslist.org/art/2354490869.html

this sewing machine is on craigslist. is this a good deal?

also I think I will try 1.5 ripstop since I only weight 150. I see gutterman thread and ripstop at BWDD but I don't know what else I need to make the gathered end. Id like to order most of it from there if I could.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    bump on question

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast