Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hello From Kansas

Well im a noob to this hammock thing. I just bought a eno dd have taken some naps in the back yard but that's about it so far. Ive always been a tent camper as a family of five that has been my only option, but my oldest son will be bridgeing into boy scouts this fall. and then we will be camping just him and I with the troop and this looked like a better solution then two small tents.
    As a noob I do have some questions though first in trying to keep the price low what kind of tarp and what size do I need, also what does cant have to do with a tarp choice. Next do i really need a underquilt cant I just use a extra sleeping bag and modfy it to work like a pea pod I have 3-4 old sleeping bags that I could use this for. If all goes well I can see replaceing gear with better latter down the line but cant swing it at the start up. any help would be great oh and im 6,4 and about 280 was 320 but hard work and life stlye changes have helped fix that Thanks in advance

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    welcome

first thing you need to do is go here and get kansas on the map, you'll be a hero, no one from kansas on it yet, the last state not represented

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

ok signed in for kansas now can you answer my questions lol

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Familytracker, there's probably not a single, quick answer to any of your questions.

There are tons of variables here.

My recommendation would be to take a look at the forums, and start reading and researching here.

There's a ton of great info on the DIY pages if that's something you're good at and enjoy. Depending on what kind of UQ you want for what kind of hammock, and what kind of sleeping bags you have...yes, you can modify them to make them into an UQ or pod type combo.

Tarps depend on what hammock you have, what season you're going in, how much you want to spend and how much weight you want to carry. Many people can get by with cheap WM tarps. You can also make one yourself if you've got the bent to do so. Or, there are a number of 'cottage industries' that have their own sections here on the forums where you can get info on buying there.

There are tons of options, and tons of possible answers to your questions. It depends on what you want and what you want to invest in it (money, or your own time and energy).

Read and enjoy...I'm new here too...but there's a lot of experience here we can tap into.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    You MUST be in eastern Kansas if you have trees in your backyard.

Tarps...so many options. Hard to give a solid "you should get this one". As mentioned, a cheap blue tarp from a box store will work. Sounds like you're a camper, not a hiker, so weight doesn't really matter. If you want a step up for not too much, look for the Kelty Noah's tarp. Solid tarp, less than $50.

Underquilts are the top shelf of insulation in the opinions of many. Doesn't mean they are the only game in town. Pads can be very cheap and useful for a camper. You can get a blue pad at Walmart for less than $10. It won't be as comfy as an underquilt, but it will keep you warm and it's still better than sleeping on that hard thing we walk upon. There are much better pad options out there, but I don't use pads so I'll let someone answer that actually knows what they're talking about.

Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    welcome

first thing you need to do is go here and get kansas on the map, you'll be a hero, no one from kansas on it yet, the last state not represented

boot
    Boothill, thanks for the assist buddy.

familytracker thank you for putting Kansas on the map!
    UQ is not necessary but bottom insulation is. for the summer you can prob. just toss your sleeping bag in the hammock get in. you might want to orient it with the zipper on the top (in the center of your chest) for ease of entry, ventilation (swat i do).
    or cooler weather: lay on top of an extra bag and use your bag as a TQ (zip foot and lower leg part, upper part unzipped).
    i've been thru 2 winters using ccf pad and 2 synthetic bags. i did finally order an UQ so i would have a little more room in the hammock when it's cold.
    - the important thing is hang and test your hammock. if you can find a place nearby (backyard) where you can learn to set up your hammock in a way that will allow you to be comfortable.
    start slow and read as much as poss. on HF. at first you may find what seems to conflicting info, but it's usually just a different way of achieving the same end.
    keep it simple and grow in your own direction.
    there are several threads that show you how to make your own UQ using extra sleeping bags. shoot you might even come up with a new or simpler way to do that. then you can share it with us.
    - use this as a bonding and learning time between a big scout and a young scout.
    best of luck, have fun!

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    yeah about trees in the backyard! I just spent 3 days crossing Kansas and the only trees I saw were the squares around the farm houses in the middle of several thousand acres of flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!
    Serious wind there too.

thanks for all the kind words and I have started reading the large volume of information on my questions lol hope to be done some time next year hehe. If i can make this work for me ill probally give my son the eno and get my self a skeeter beater pro or a war bonet but want to figure out some things first

about the trees I live in the wichita area and I have a large maple and bradforrd pear in my back yard and a large oak in the front lol and you are right we do have serious wind here

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast