Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings

Veteran Backpacker ready to take the plunge

Hi All,

I've been backapacking for 25 years and have always used tents. I've got a lot invested in some pretty good gear but the more I read about hammocks and how comfortable they are, the more I want to try it myself.

I'm a back sleeper, and have always had trouble getting a good night's sleep on the ground. After a few hours my lower back starts to stiffen up because my glutes need a fairly deep concavity to sink into. A couple years ago I bought an Exped Downmat 9 pad that was a definite improvement, but I still want something better.

Also, I really like the the idea of being able to set up my sleeping shelter wherever two suitable trees can be found. Finding good tent sites in the backcountry can be very frustrating, and sometimes impossible if you don't make it to an established site or find it fully occupied after a long day's hike. I think a hammock will be both comfortable and liberating.

After some research on hammocks I'm leaning towards the WB Blackbird, but I won't be taking the plunge for a few months. Backpacking season for me generally begins in September. I hail from Chicagoland, and rarely make it out west. Daytime highs much above 60 is warmer than I want to carry a 25 pound pack uphill, and bugs are not my friend. My best sleeping bag is a 20* Western Mountaineering Ultralight, which I'll probably use as a top quilt initially. Since I camp in nighttime temps down to 20 or so, an underquilt will of course be necessary.

I'm looking forward to learning more about hammocks and the art of using them in this forum.

Cheers,
    DW

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome to HammockForums and hey from high point nc.
    there is a ton of stuff here to read, learn and ask about.
    if it's hammock related it's here or still waiting to be invented.
    hang on and have fun.

home is where your hammock is.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Welcome from Gadsden,Al. You sound a lot like me. I like to backpack from fall through spring. Summers down here are brutal and the bugs will carry you away. You can't go wrong with the Blackbird, but try others if you get the chance. Maybe you can find a group hang near your area and check out some different set-ups.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Welcome to HF from bama.............you have come to a great forum and you can't go wrong with the Blackbird hammock. I also suggest that you make it to a group hang in your area and see the different hammock set-ups, most folks will let you try their rig out......if you ask nicely.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I will make the guess that you'll love the change. If you are a little timid about spending the money just to try it out, you can make what is called a 'gathered end hammock' out of something as simple as a sheet. After you do this you will buy the WBB, and then be sure to post the pics of your first DIY

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome Drift Woody,

I recommend that you go to a group hang in your area to see and tryout, Hammockers are warm, welcoming and love to show off, all of the different rigs and combinations of gear that are available.

Lots of good info and people around here on HF. Feel free to ask a lot of questions so you can make a good decision.

Enjoy your journey from ground to above ground dwelling.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, DW. Sounds like you're where I was last summer. I came across hammock camping while researching light weight backpacking. After watching Shug's intro to hammocks, I had to give it a try. After a bit of DIYing, I hung one night in the backyard and was immediately converted. One of the best things about hanging is how much cleaner it is - no more wet nasty ground sheets to pack up. I also like how much more condusive to LNT hammocks are.

You've come to the right place to learn more. Definitely get to a group hang if you can to see all the different setups. That helped me a lot.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll definitely keep an eye out for group hangs that I might be able to attend. Rather than attempt a DIY gathered bedsheet for my first time out, I can rent (or purchase and return) a Hennessey at REI. I'm not averse to some personal handiwork, but I wouldn't want my initial impressions of sleeping in a hammock to be clouded by sub-par design and workmanship

Meanwhile, I'll read up on all the great advice in this forum!

Cheers,
    DW

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Welcome aboard DW!

A few years ago I made the move to hammocks and never looked back. That feeling of tossing and turning in the night to find that "just right" spot to get comfortable and the aching back and knees vanished with that move. I am much more comfortable and a lot less grumpy in the morning as a result.

Keep an eye out for those videos and posts by some of the legends here. They are informative as can be and entertaining beyond words.

Happy Trails...

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

• + New Posts