Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Please recommend a cheap first hammock for a large noob

Hello,

I'm a 6'6", 250-pound guy looking for a cheap first hammock--preferably $50 or less--so I can get some idea of whether this sleeping method is for me. I don't want to spend a lot to begin with, but I also don't want to buy something that's of such low quality that I fail to do the experiment justice.

The plan, if all goes well, is to sleep in a hammock full time. There's something about a bed that goes against my sense of what a personal space should be. This peculiarity of mine probably began in my early 20s, when I bought an enormous home gym that took up so much space in my bedroom that I was required to sleep on the floor. I eventually sold the gym, planning to put a bed in its place, but loved being able to do yoga and other exercises on the wide-open carpet so much that I procrastinated for months. When I finally got around to moving one in, it went so hard against my aesthetic sense that I ditched it within a week. I simply prefer a spartan, minimalist arrangement, and nothing spoils it like seven feet by three feet of mattress.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I bought a claytor no net hammock last year---its around 50 bucks. Ive found it to be pretty comfortable, and very well made--feels like a bargin to me! If you can get ahold of some inexpensive material, you could easily throw together a simple gathered end hammock (Speer hammocks style)----that would give you a pretty good idea if you like hammocks. good luck!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    It doesn't get any cheaper than a DIY gathered end hammock. Knotty's sticky in the DIY section of the forum on making a gathered end hammock has become an important part of the Hammock Forums cannon to me. Check it out, and best of luck to you. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

By the way, spent four years or so living in Provo. When spring rolls around, I discover that I miss the place (never have I smelled so much lilac in one place).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images
    Im going to go with stevebo on this one , a claytor no net hammock is 40 bucks and will hold up to 400 lbs and it has a sleeve for a sleeping pad so you wont get cold , very good hammock and built like a tank . take care.
    Chris Duke aka SWAMP FOOT

And the Claytor will definitely fit a guy of 6'6"?

And yeah, timabababaluka--it's a beautiful area. I love never being more than 10 minutes from total solitude in the outdoors.

Just looked at the Claytor site, and they say the NoNet will accommodate up to 6'7", 300 pounds. I'll be getting that. I think the Army surplus store around the corner might have that very one, so I'll hold off ordering online until I've checked there tomorrow. Thanks, guys!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Another hammock to look at is the ENO DoubleNest. The website says it will handle up to 6' 8" and 400 lbs. The website says $65, but I've seen them for $55 or so at Ganders. They are cheap and very comfortable. If you get a bugnet, get it from Warbonnet, half the weight of the ENO bugnet.
    http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...t-hammock.html

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    On the Claytor or the ENO be prepared to swap out the stock suspension as most find the stock set-up on both a little lacking. The swap is an easy DIY project and there are several threads on HF that show you how.

Another thought - since you are looking for an every night indoor set-up you might be more comfortable in a an Amazonas style hammock...

http://www.hammocks.com/hammocks/han...richammock.cfm

Good luck and remember to post back and share how you like the switch to hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Forget about nylon hammocks designed for camping!

You need simplicity and elegance for an indoor setup. Are you planning to use it outdoors at all? If not, forget about the Claytors, ENOs, Warbonnets, etc and go for a hammock designed to be used indoors. Just to sweeten the pot, the indoor hammocks are much larger than the campers. Even so, when not in use just unhook one side and put it on the hook with the other side. You can even roll it up and leave it hanging from a single hook; easy as pie.

Brazilians are the hammocks I would recommend. I've been sleeping in a Brazilian full-time at home for about 3 years now. There are also Mayan and Nicaraguan hammocks to consider, but the Brazilians are my favorite for night after night sleeping. This one isn't the best out there, but it meets your criteria for cost and should give you a good idea of the comfort levels possible. For an indoor rig, IMO you want a cotton bed fabric. Nylon conducts cold way too good for my taste indoors and the cotton is oh so soft against the skin, while being easy to clean.

I commend you on joining, or thinking about joining, the ranks of home hammock sleepers. We are a small group, but growing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Forget about nylon hammocks designed for camping!

You need simplicity and elegance for an indoor setup. Are you planning to use it outdoors at all? If not, forget about the Claytors, ENOs, Warbonnets, etc and go for a hammock designed to be used indoors. Just to sweeten the pot, the indoor hammocks are much larger than the campers. Even so, when not in use just unhook one side and put it on the hook with the other side. You can even roll it up and leave it hanging from a single hook; easy as pie.

Brazilians are the hammocks I would recommend. I've been sleeping in a Brazilian full-time at home for about 3 years now. There are also Mayan and Nicaraguan hammocks to consider, but the Brazilians are my favorite for night after night sleeping. This one isn't the best out there, but it meets your criteria for cost and should give you a good idea of the comfort levels possible. For an indoor rig, IMO you want a cotton bed fabric. Nylon conducts cold way too good for my taste indoors and the cotton is oh so soft against the skin, while being easy to clean.

I commend you on joining, or thinking about joining, the ranks of home hammock sleepers. We are a small group, but growing.
    id love to hear about this indoor hanging stuff

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast