Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    From my perspective; sure many pieces and parts of things we purchase somehow originate in China, I suppose that's unavoidable. And, certainly many final products are fully assembled and shipped whole from China. That too is going to always happen; but like even our myopic auto industry, now including all those well established Japanese manufacturers slowly realized that built in 'merica meant something. This China thing is altogether more vexing and eventually more dangerous to our lifestyle (esp. environmentally, yes that means hammocking in the great outdoors) than any other threat which we can basically control. We control it by spending our $ in industry that benefits from the end product, at least in some form of profit. When I received my Canadian Hennessy Hammock and it said "Made in China," I was mighty disappointed; I wish Tom disclosed that straight up. There are going to be many subsequent posts that say this digression is inappropriate in this forum; too political; not germain, can't avoid it anyhow: You asked, I'm replying: Let's see how buying our stuff from China is affecting our life in a year, or so, down the pike. This is not about avoiding Thailand, Pakistan, the Phillipines, etc. this about specifically doing my best to boycott China and making informed decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by daibutsu View Post
    From my perspective; sure many pieces and parts of things we purchase somehow originate in China, I suppose that's unavoidable. And, certainly many final products are fully assembled and shipped whole from China. That too is going to always happen; but like even our myopic auto industry, now including all those well established Japanese manufacturers slowly realized that built in 'merica meant something. This China thing is altogether more vexing and eventually more dangerous to our lifestyle (esp. environmentally, yes that means hammocking in the great outdoors) than any other threat which we can basically control. We control it by spending our $ in industry that benefits from the end product, at least in some form of profit. When I received my Canadian Hennessy Hammock and it said "Made in China," I was mighty disappointed; I wish Tom disclosed that straight up. There are going to be many subsequent posts that say this digression is inappropriate in this forum; too political; not germain, can't avoid it anyhow: You asked, I'm replying: Let's see how buying our stuff from China is affecting our life in a year, or so, down the pike. This is not about avoiding Thailand, Pakistan, the Phillipines, etc. this about specifically doing my best to boycott China and making informed decisions.

Hey Daibutsu,

I think I misread your "initial" statement? My question was leaning more toward false advertisement and poor craftsmenship. The opening thread was asking about purchasing a HH. I thought you had recieved some poor info about the HH you bought and you felt dupped when you recieved it? My question was to prevent any others who might be interested in Tom's hammocks from this kind of experience as I have had nothing but a positive one. I hope this has cleared it up somewhat? Sorry for the confusion...
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

I think that I will just go with the ultralight and standard tarp. It seems like the standard tarp will be sufficient for me. I can see were a larger tarp would be desirable if I planned to spend a lot of time in camp. I just need something to keep the rain off me while I sleep at night. I fall into the fast and light user category. The main reason that I considered a hammock in the first place was small pack size, ease of finding a suitable site, and quick set-up time. That is, I want to spend as little time as possible finding a suitable camp site, setting up a shelter, and getting to bed (more time in camp = less time on the water fishing). Anyone rig up some rod holders on the ridgeline?

Have there been quality issues with the Hennessy hammocks? Everything that I have read indicates that it is a quality product, and they offer outstanding customer service. Is there any reason that a novice should avoid the Hennessy hammocks because of quality? I fully understand that a “power user” is going to want more from a hammock than any standard model can provide.
    Last edited by kayakcamper; 02-28-2008 at 06:59.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakcamper View Post
    Have there been quality issues with the Hennessy hammocks? Everything that I have read indicates that it is a quality product, and they offer outstanding customer service. Is there any reason that a novice should avoid the Hennessy hammocks because of quality? I fully understand that a “power user” is going to want more from a hammock than any standard model can provide.
    I don't think many have questioned the Hennessy's quality as a camping hammock; it is a really good piece of gear. Those of us that have issues with Hennessy Hammocks have more issues with the man than the product.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Oh!!! This is really getting good now!!! Two issues to deal with....First, For quality, function, and service I think that the HH is an excellent choice. I have the Hyperlite with the over-sized hex tarp and it suits me very well. I like the light weight of the hammock and the added function of the hex tarp. In fact, I have added "storm doors" to the tarp which improves its function dramatically with very little weight penalty. But this set up is a simple expression of my choices and preferences and other folks may be just as pleased with different choices. One size rarely fits all. And, yes, I would very, very, very much prefer that it was made domestically and would have been willing to pay at least a little more had it been made here. It concerns me greatly that we are so dependent on oil (whether ours or theirs), China, and Wal-Mart, and that we are wreaking havoc on our planet and humankind in general. I support our domestic industry (especially those that in turn support things that are important to me- like the ATC, etc) whenever I can. It's just a fact that sometimes I can't. 'Nuff said. I hope I don't break my neck getting down from this stump!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by DougTheElder View Post
    For quality, function, and service I think that the HH is an excellent choice.
    Absolutely! I would add comfort also. Like um,love um,hate um it's all individual choice and preference. I have many different hammocks and like different things about each of them. I don't hate anything about any of them. Why? Because it's a hammock. Limiting yourself to one style of hammock is like limiting yourself to one brand of beer! What fun is that? Enjoy the diversity...
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Images
    I'll drink to that!!!
    Sometimes even a Blind Hog finds an Acorn

HH quality

I was looking at the HH for a while, having come across them whilst in CANADA in 2004, when there last year, I bought an exped asym, with a canoe trip in mind, the first night in it it ripped.... I had done my research, and the general opinion was that they were good. Being the wrong side of the Atlantic, I struggled to find a shop that was prepared to help me, you can get them here but they would not replace them as I had not purchased it from them... the MEC, where I had bought it from were more than happy to replace it for me, but they had a $50 postage fee to the UK.... My apprentices mum was heading for OTTAWA to see an old friend, and I asked if she would be good enough to pop along to the MEC, she was, and when she got there to exchange it for the one that had been put aside for her o collect, they looked at the serial number, and said that they had had a problem with that batch... maybe the quality goes in peaks and troughs... the replacement is fine (so far).

Just my ha'perth, Brandon

I prefer a larger tarp with a Hennessy because the tarp that comes with the hammock only blocks the rain and at times I also need protection from the wind.
    The tarp that comes with the Hennessy blocks rain from above and the material of the hammock is pulled tight by your weight so it blocks rain from the sides, but without a larger tarp you have no protection from the wind from the sides.
    I use the MacCat standard but there are others out there as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakcamper View Post
    I’m getting ready to purchase a HH ultralight at REI (20% discount on any item).

I would prefer the Hyperlight, but it is not offered by REI.

I’ve been reading that many people have switched the standard HH tarp out for a larger tarp. Also, that HH will sell without the standard tarp. What is the general consensus on the standard HH tarp?

If I’m ultimately going to need a larger tarp, the savings of ordering the ultralight is vastly diminished. That is, the cost of the UL + 2nd tarp would be closer to the cost of the hyperlight – standard tarp + larger tarp.

What would you suggest? Start with the standard UL, and see how it goes, or just go with the larger tarp and the HL?
    i got a larger tarp, a 9-9 used. works better. wind off the river and mist is less. i stake both points to the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12