Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I only use 1 on one side. It is about 5 inches from the gathered end so it is out of the way but still accessible. Then I just let the other side dangle out.
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the rated strength of the biner and dimensions?

Also, what do you replace the current ridgeline with? I heard someone say Amsteel? Or do you use what is already there?
    Last edited by FireInMyBones; 05-02-2011 at 20:37. Reason: Forgot to ask another question and did not want to take up another post.

Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    I cut my HH ridge line near the foot end. Tied a loop in the remaining ridge line, used a soft biner (nacrabiner) made out of amsteel to reconnect the ridge line to the remaining line at the foot. Works like a champ.

I have read that the bug netting is not as long as the hammock material so it may be stretched some if the ridge line is very tight before you disconnect it. Just make sure that your ridge line is as close to light or no tension when you give it a try for the first time. As with most mods, you just have to play with it a little and see how it goes.

Dave

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question

I have a modified (zippers) HH A-sym Ultralight and like it a lot. I changed out the suspension over the weekend with whoopie slings I made from 1/8th inch Amsteel blue (head end is orange and foot end is black). I've also sewn more storage pockets today to hang from the ridgeline. I previously made some to hang inside from sides (with velcro). I think the ridgeline is one thing I'll probably leave alone.

You born-and-raised in Greenville?

Rain Man
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    You born-and-raised in Greenville?

Rain Man
    Yes, sir. I am.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the rated strength of the biner and dimensions?

Also, what do you replace the current ridgeline with? I heard someone say Amsteel? Or do you use what is already there?
    It has been some time since I tested one but i believe it holds 600 pounds and it is roughly 1" x 3/4". Weighs about 6 grams.

Before you cut measure the current set up. Then cut about 8 or 9 inches from one side, I did foot side. With the long part I fashion some kind of loop. Then with the short side I tie on a loop that brings the new ridgeline to the same dimension when adding the ridgeline biner. I would make the extension out of dynaglide but amsteel will work just a well.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Good luck with your HH mods & welcome to HF from a Greenville neighbor!

I just replaced the suspension and ridgeline in my son's HH Scout but I went back with a fixed ridgeline... Next up is a zipper mod on the Scout.

Have fun and enjoy your hammock you've found the right place for your hammock questions.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    It has been some time since I tested one but i believe it holds 600 pounds and it is roughly 1" x 3/4". Weighs about 6 grams.
    Great! I just bought one from your website.

Images

re

I was told doing this would stretch and tear the bug netting and that might be true for some models, but I just didn't believe anyone. If you can sit on top with the ridge line in place like the manufacturer shows you can on their website then you should be able to remove it and be just fine. YMMV especially by model. I believe mine is the expedition asym.

So here's what I did.

I cut the zip ties that secure the tiny shroud on each end of the hammock, pulled these back and replaced the stock suspension with 7/64 amsteel. During this process I replaced the ridge line with Lash-It which I configured as a whoopie sling so I can play around with the sag. On the head end I inserted a stainless steel screw gate link from Lowes. Its rated at something like 500lbs I think and is rather hefty. I'll swap it out with a tiny climbing carabiner at some point.

When I replaced the shrouds I used a zip tie on the foot end but on the head end I used a small length of 1/8" shock cord secured with a zeppelin bend. When pulled back over, just the very tip of the metal link shows from shroud, but I can easily yank the shroud back to unscrew the link when I want to.

I melted a tiny hole in the bug netting close to the shrouds just big enough to thread the whoopie sling loop through.

From outside the hammock I can reach up through the trap door and easily attach/detach the ridge line so that its either inside like it comes from Hennessy, on top or hanging unattached completely on one end.

With it moved to the outside of the bug netting I can lay down on top of the bug netting and its very obviously got plenty of slack. Its not under tension at all. Now that doesn't mean I'm not going to damage it like this, especially if I have shoes on, but I think I can manage to be careful.

The only mistake I made was in my whoopie dimensions. Even pulled as tight as I can get it, I have a longer ridge line than came from the factory. Once I redo that, the slack in the bug netting may change, but I think I'll be all right.

One thing I like about this, is that the inside of the hammock isn't used when I'm on top and so it makes a great place for me to stick my blue foam pad where its not going to move anywhere. I just lay on top, and pull my quilt on over me.

In warmer weather it takes all of 1 minute to put the ridge line back inside and I'm back to normal with bug protection.

I should note that I've only spent one night in it like this so we'll see how things go, but it worked great that one night anyway.

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I tried hanging in my hammock over the weekend and I must have shortened the ridgeline when I cut it and tied knots for the biner. I will be ordering some dynaglide but I need to know the appropriate length between the end loops for an accurate ridgeline. I may infact want a slightly longer ridgeline for a flater lay?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by FireInMyBones View Post
    I may infact want a slightly longer ridgeline for a flater lay?
    this is actually the opposite, a shorter ridgeline will create more sag and give you a flatter lie, just the opposite on what seems intuitive, the current rule of thumb is you want a ridgeline that is 83% of the length of your hammock

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast